FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Free OS not written in C?

How many years until we see a free, complete OS that is NOT written in C?
It already exists, newb
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
Next Year
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2 Years
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
3 Years
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
5 Years
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
8 Years
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
13 Years
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
21 Years
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
34 Years
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
55 Years
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Never
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

Schyllic
It appears that as the language of Unix, C will continue to be used far into the foreseeable future in free operating systems. C has inherent weaknesses -- mainly bad pointers, buffer overflows, and segfaults -- that are caught at runtime not compile time) that have been largely resolved in some newer languages. I think D would be a good choice because it could link to existing C libraries.
AftershockVibe
Schyllic
Thanks for your reply. My thoughts in response.

Free: source code is available for download by anonymous ftp. You can fiddle with and recompile your own OS for your own use, at least.
Complete: Let's just say it can run at least one of the free desktops, Gnome, KDE, ..?, and it is capable of compiling and running all the common software that currently runs on BSD or Linux.

It may be that I am demanding too much of a brand new OS, but that is exactly what I am thinking of when I say "complete". It needs to be useful, and that means it has applications. Video works, sound works. It has all the necessary plug-ins for browsing the web.

I believe for new OS such as House to become more widely adopted, such projects will need to prioritize making it possible to port the vast body of existing free software. Over time, they can build replacements in its own native language. If this capability does exist in House or elsewhere, then RTFM to me, and I will sit down and learn some more, thankful for the enlightenment. Seems to me advancements in the field of virtualization would facilitate a transition to the next OS.
AftershockVibe
Schyllic wrote:
Thanks for your reply. My thoughts in response.

Free: source code is available for download by anonymous ftp. You can fiddle with and recompile your own OS for your own use, at least.
Complete: Let's just say it can run at least one of the free desktops, Gnome, KDE, ..?, and it is capable of compiling and running all the common software that currently runs on BSD or Linux.

Hmm. By that definition Haiku (based on BeOS) and even Windows isn't "complete."
There are, of course, operating systems for embedded devices as well that aren't necessarily C/C++. You can bet your ass that your car and local nuclear reactors have a "complete" operating system.
Jean-Clod
Agree with AftershockVibe, your definition of "complete" is..hum strange? Razz
B2T, check MenuetOS and it's forks, and KolibriOS, both written in asm, and both fully functional - but not complete as you would like them to be Razz
http://www.kolibrios.org/
http://www.menuetos.net/
Agent ME
Jean-Clod wrote:
check MenuetOS and it's forks, and KolibriOS, both written in asm,

I think he was hoping for an operating system written a higher level language than C, and assembly is about as far opposite as you can be (barring writing straight machine code) Razz
Jean-Clod
Well, an OS written in a low-level language runs fast Razz (even if it's not really simple to extend it)

huh, I don't know any other OS written in anything other than c/cpp and asm ^^ Must change my vote, then Razz
Jean-Clod
Oh, just remembered: Singularity is written in managed c#, erasing many of the problems you quoted
For the moment, that's just a project, so I let other members give you an already existing OS ^^

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/singularity/