FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Your favorite works in American literature.

firerabbit
Please recomment a work in American literiture to me. I'm finding some good works to kill my spare time . Also tell me why you love it.
Hope to see your reply. Embarassed
c'tair
Try On the Road and Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac. Add in some Catch-22 and maybe the Great Gatsby. Those are American novels I've read well, I really, really liked. I'm finishing Dharma Bums right now and even though I don't really like non-fantasy stuff, these works by Kerouac pulled me right in.
TurtleShell
To Kill A Mockingbird, Great Gatsby, This Side of Paradise, various poems by Edgar Allen Poe, The Stand (yes, I just put Stephen King into the canon, although most of his stuff is crap), Confederacy of Dunces, various works by O Henry, poems by Walt Whitman and Robert Frost, On Walden Pond, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Wizard of Oz, Little House on the Prairie series, Arthur Miller, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Kurt Vonnegut... also, Sylvia Plath, but stay away from her if you're really depressed. Emily Dickenson.

Actually, not all these works are things I loved, but I'm just naming what I can think of. However, I do love all the works by Fitzgerald, To Kill A Mocking Bird, The Stand, a Tree Grows in Brooklyn (REALLY GOOD!), and poems by Walt Whitman.
pampoon
You can always enjoy the nice Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn Wink . Those two are American classics, though they are somewhat, well, young. But seriously, consider some Mark Twain. Though best known for his mischievous hicks, he does have a few other writings worth the time.
JessieF
You could look for some poetry novels by Nathaniel Hawthorne, Emily Dickinson, Walt Whitman, Lydia Sigourney, Phillis Wheatley, Edward Taylor, and Harriet Beecher Stowe. I don't guess I could tell you why I like these writers. Razz You may read their work and like them for a different reason. Just look them up yourself. Wink
TurtleShell
pampoon wrote:
You can always enjoy the nice Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn Wink . Those two are American classics, though they are somewhat, well, young. But seriously, consider some Mark Twain. Though best known for his mischievous hicks, he does have a few other writings worth the time.

Ah yeah, Mark Twain. I forgot him--he's not just for young audiences, although sixth graders can read the Huck Finn/Tom Sawyer books and enjoy them.