FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How many important people have you known and how true is thi

chasbeen
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."
John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton, first Baron Acton (18341902).
deanhills
Ha! So Bush was then a great man? Obama is not great? OK, seriously, the bad guys like Hitler and Stalin tend to create so much damage that they become completely unforgettable, whereas those responsible for peace are not as distinctly and well remembered. In current times I can't really see any good leaders around, they all seem to be constituent pleasers and wheeling and dealing in their own self-interest, neither are there the really bad ones like Hitler and Stalin, I wonder whether in a century from now historians would refer back to this time as one of peace?
Nameless
chasbeen wrote:
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.

By which logic God ... Razz

And now, for the serious comment: I haven't personally known anybody of particular importance in the world, and I'm not exactly a historian enough to judge the merits of any well remembered person. However, in general terms, I disagree with the quote. I don't believe power corrupts; a similar person without power tends to be just as much of a dick as a person with power, it's only that bad decisions and false beliefs are (obviously) far more noteworthy and damaging when held by a person in power. Is a great military commander any worse a person for his world views than a rookie soldier lashing out at those who are different? Are you any better a person for lying to your partner to stay together than a politician lying to their country to stay elected?

Perhaps the problem was never the power, but what we expect from those who wield it.
the-guide
Nameless wrote:
Perhaps the problem was never the power, but what we expect from those who wield it.

Likely, nice thought! Wink
ronbonzo
thi is as true as he wants to be.
jabce85
Yeah, I would agree with this. And I think this would apply to a group of people (aka government) as well.

Wow... and when will people realize bush was not a bad president. So far obama has been abysmal, and compared to Bush... scratch that, can't be compared other than they were both somehow elected president.
erlendhg
Nameless wrote:
chasbeen wrote:
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.

By which logic God ... Razz

Good point, from an atheistic point of view.
guissmo
Well, I hope not everyone. It just depends how strong one holds on to his values.
Most people take the easy way out and let go of their principles as soon as they get power.
Arty
There are many different types of power. That saying does not apply to all kinds of power.
Nameless
Arty wrote:
There are many different types of power. That saying does not apply to all kinds of power.

Which types of power does / doesn't it apply for?
ronbonzo
Gerbil power?

sum12nv
well if someone were to mention the most powerful man in the world u'd think well thats the US president which is now Obama
ronbonzo
deanhills
sum12nv wrote:
well if someone were to mention the most powerful man in the world u'd think well thats the US president which is now Obama
Not Osama Bin Laden perhaps? Wink Courtesy of the US media. Seems to be the media that is the power behind "powerful" people? How powerful are they really when you remove the media completely from the equation?
ronbonzo
Nameless
Wow, ronbonzo. This is possibly the first time I've ever considered telling someone "texts or GTFO" on the internet. Laughing
ronbonzo
Nameless wrote:
"texts or GTFO" on the internet. Laughing
??????

James007
Mod powerrr! Yes it corrupts.

-close-