FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Rats, Rats, Rats!!!

Phinx
Any rat lovers around here? Honestly, i never had one in my life and here i end up with girlfriend that loves those furry things. Were travelling in a couple hours to get the from a breeder. I opted for 2 guys (apparently it's better when they live in pairs with same sex), but there was a waiting list, so we ended up getting 2 10 week old girls. So is anyone else keeping such a 'bundle of joy' (i'm yet to be persuaded as i am not a big fan of rodents, they just don't do anything for me) ?
crimson_aria
I am not a big fan of rodents either. But I really find hamsters cute. They're cute to look at, but I don't want them as a pet.
paul_indo
Maybe mice are OK but rets are disgusting. I hate rats.

My dogs are good at killing rats so if one comes in my house they kill it very quickly.

One of my cats got a baby rat last week but cats just play with them, not kill it quickly like the dogs.

Too many rats in Indonesia because people are not very hygenic with their rubbish and just throw it around, even in Jakarta the capital city.
jabce85
only if they can cook.
erlendhg
Phinx wrote:
Any rat lovers around here? Honestly, i never had one in my life and here i end up with girlfriend that loves those furry things. Were travelling in a couple hours to get the from a breeder. I opted for 2 guys (apparently it's better when they live in pairs with same sex), but there was a waiting list, so we ended up getting 2 10 week old girls. So is anyone else keeping such a 'bundle of joy' (i'm yet to be persuaded as i am not a big fan of rodents, they just don't do anything for me) ?

Hmm, I've never thought about it, actually.
I don't see myself as a rat lover at this moment, no, but I guess it wouldn't be impossible for me to appreciate them as pets.

On the other hand, I've had a hamster as a pet, and I really loved him. That's some years ago now, though. Now I have a female dog.
driftingfe3s
I use to handle some mice when I worked at a laboratory. They also had rats in the other room, but I never handled them. I heard though that being around them can cause allegries even though one hasn't experienced allergies before.
Baka_Desu
Rats are ok, i like the smaller sized rats over the bigger ones, the smaller one seems more cuter than the bigger ones. But yeah i don't mind rats, i mean i can stand them enough to not run around screaming.
deanhills
I probably won't mind them, pets are pets, but I would not be able to take them seriously as I am more of a dog person. Not all people really take well to rats, including other pets, so can't imagine I would ever have rats. The other pets would probably end up chasing and possibly killing them.
deanhills
I probably won't mind them, pets are pets, but I would not be able to take them seriously as I am more of a dog person. Not all people really take well to rats, including other pets, so can't imagine I would ever have rats. The other pets would probably end up chasing and possibly killing them.
imera
My older sister has two, or had, one died not long ago. She loves them, I not so much, what I hate about them (both are male) is that they leave a trail of pee after them, and their balls is like ewe for me, that is why I prefere female animals.

They aren't like horrible pets, but it's not my first chose
littleladyluck
I find rats to be disgusting. I dislike them. Well, may be if they are kept as pets, they would be cleaner and maybe cuter... well i'm not sure of the latter. Hamsters are cute and neat. rats would not be first choice pets. Rolling Eyes
supernova1987a
Well, for people who think mice are disgusting, Mickey Mouse is not disgusting is he? What about Minnie Mouse? Some people like killing mice some people like keeping them as a pet. Wink
Mice are nuisance when they steal food or bite your clothes but I have never had a mouse as a pet so I don't really know what it's like but it sounds fun to have one!
desonium
I had a few rats for 5 years and when you have them you see that they also can be nice, because when you raise them well they can sit on your chest wehen watching tv or something. It is the same as keeping a hamster or rabbit, only its a rat then Cool
natilovesmike
well, they don't do anything for you because you haven't train them to do anything. Rats are actually very smart and can lear a lot o things. Learn how to use a cliker to train animals (just google it and you will find lots of information.
Marcuzzo
rats are indeed more intelligent then one would think.
still, I'd prefer my dog over a rat any day.
I miss the bugger, since I move out of my parents house, I realy miss him.
and whenever I visit my parents I can hear him go crazy in the back yard when he hears my voice.
I can't wait for the summer, that way I can take him out to the lake again and walk in the woods.
God, I also miss the woods since I live here in the city.
nigam
it depends on the types of breed but if you're talking about rats which you see on canal those black rats are very stinky and they can give you ailments like Salmonellosis, Leptospirosis and many more so I kinda hate them, and If i saw one here in our house. I'll automatically install rat poisons, but safety first coz those poisons might affect us also.
Crinoid
I like very much pet rats, the specially bred albino rats, had two of them long time ago.

Ugly, especially boy-rats during hot summer, they were much smarter than mice, hamsters and these small good looking jumping rodents with long tail and legs. No smell, unlike mice, if you keep cage clean. If they had no contact with the wild ones, I don't see where they can get diseases you mentioned. Never had this problem with mine. You can let them go out of cage for some time (under supervision), then mine came back by themselves. Wire for a cage locking was ineffective, they were able to open it, given a time.

The only drawback, beside stiff hair coat, worm-like tail and these red eyesores in hot weather, was that they were prone to developing tumors, and nothing could be done about this. But, boy, how clever they are!

Now I'm keeping a cat Laughing , given a choice, would like to try sugar gliders.