FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windowsill orchids

Crinoid
Hi, is anyone here who is growing orchids in the room, without enclosures with different temperature, humidity, air movement, light?

If you do, is your whole room set as such enclosure? If not, what temperature is set for a heating, do you have a central humidifier near furnace? It should be comfortable for both sides: humans and orchids. Besides, it is cold in winter near the window, even if the room is warm. Do you keep them closer to the light (and cold) or further from the window (warmer, but less light)?
driftingfe3s
My mother has a lot of orchids but she keeps them outside for the most part. Sometimes she will bring an orchid or two inside but only for a few days. From what I've heard its too dry and there's not enough light to keep them indoors for too long. But there may be some varities of orchids that are suitable to keep indoors for longer periods of time. You should ask the people where you buy it to make sure.
Crinoid
I see, California... Laughing
Weather, tailored for cymbidiums. Here they require special setup, next to impossible.