FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

php/mysql for pc use

chatrack
Hi,

In the comming year our computer sylabus is changing ( from c++ to php)

So we need PHP and MySql and other helpfull softwares to be installed in
PCs for students in the lab.

Can you suggest some good softwares for php/mysql to be worked in LocalHost server?
rickylau
No other choices for PHP & MySQL: it's PHP & MySQL lol

For HTTP server, you may try Apache, which is usable for both Windows/Linux, and powerful, and reliable (personally i think).

This setting is highly recommended as many servers worldwide does use such environment.

For ease of set up process, you may install XAMPP which includes softwares above (and some extra) in one package and more user-friendly configuration interface.
jmraker
I like http://www.wampserver.com/en/index.php because it installs
    the Apache web server
    PHP 5
    MySQL
    phpMyAdmin

and it installs a system tray icon that can start/stop apache and mysql plus enable/disable modules
Marcuzzo
xampp is also nice to check out.
I use it to test my php most of the time
raver
It all depends on how much you want your students to learn.
I used to teach php & mysql as a trainer for a company, where the courses lasted for 6 weeks. Because the time was limited, i used xampp on all computers to make it easier to code.
BUT if you have an entire semester available, i would suggest making the students learn to install by themselves apache with php and mysql.
This IS the best way for them to learn exactly what oes where and how things are processed and executed on a server level, which will help a lot people who are serious about working in a web development field.
Fire Boar
UNIX/Linux servers or Windows servers? Is this for lab work or home work? How much leeway do you have with IT?

Ideally, I'd suggest allowing each student a public_html directory on a network drive that can create webpages accessible from any workstation on the network, internal access only. You can do this fairly easily with apache's configuration files, and it only requires a single PHP/MySQL server installation. They can then use just about any text editing program at all to edit these files, though I think getting a decent plain text editor such as Notepad++ is worthwhile if you're using Windows workstations. If you're using Linux workstations, don't bother getting anything special because almost all plain text editors chosen as the default by each distribution supports syntax highlighting and other useful features for programmers.

Then suggest XAMPP or WAMP for home work.
badai
get XAMPP portable so that they can carry it around and run it on any machine, instead of their code get stuck in server where they might not have access to it after lab is closed for the day.

http://portableapps.com/apps/development/xampp

i think going for php like this is better. i remember when i was student where we send in our assignment in floppy and print out, my program never really work and the print out is faked output. yet, we got an A for it.

lazy lecturer. they don't ever bother to compile and run the program.
raver
badai wrote:
get XAMPP portable so that they can carry it around and run it on any machine, instead of their code get stuck in server where they might not have access to it after lab is closed for the day.

http://portableapps.com/apps/development/xampp

i think going for php like this is better. i remember when i was student where we send in our assignment in floppy and print out, my program never really work and the print out is faked output. yet, we got an A for it.

lazy lecturer. they don't ever bother to compile and run the program.

No, it's good that some of them are lazy.
I remember one semester i went to a c++ exam after a long night of drinking and not studying a bit.
So i wrote all code in PHP, and hope to god that he would not compile it.
And yeah, the old geezer took a look at the code, saw some iteratives, some recurssion, and said it is great, and i got an A Razz
rvec
How much do the students know?
If I'd do it for myself and others who know about as much I'd do it this way:
One webserver and mercurial server on the main server.
Mercurial client and local webserver on each client and for the students at home.
This way students and lecturers can see the progress and changes of every student, and students can give the lecturer the source files and the history of changes to it. The students and lecturers would get ssh and ftp access to the files on the server so they can create new repositories and set permissions and stuff.

Of course everyone would have to know how to work with ftp, shell, mercurial and not take the shortcut (just making the source-files and uploading them over ftp).

If the users have no experience I'd install wamp/xamp on the clients, and not use a server.