FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google phone - Nexus

paul_indo
Google Phone

Quote:
As images of the hotly anticipated new Google phone bombard the blogosphere, revelations that it will be named Nexus One have dismayed the family of a famous science-fiction writer.

Isa Dick Hackett, daughter of author Philip K. Dick who wrote the novel that inspired the Blade Runner movie, said in an interview that she was “shocked and dismayed” by reports that the company had named its new smartphone Nexus One.

The new Google-branded phone will run on Google's own Android operating system, and is expected to be a strong rival to the iPhone.

As president of the arm of Dick's estate that handles film adaptations and the licensing of materials, Hackett told The New York Times she believed the name had “a very obvious connection” to her father's novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, which centres on a generation of rogue Nexus-6 robots.

“We were never consulted, no requests were made, and we didn't grant any sort of permissions,” said Hackett, who is taking legal counsel on the matter.

Google is yet to make an official announcement about the name of the Nexus One, but it has already been sighted in two official documents.

One of these was issued by HTC, widely reported to be the manufacturer of the device. The New York Times has also revealed that Google filed a patent application for Nexus One with the US Patent and Trademark Office.

This is pathetic, they don't own the word and "Dick" didn't invent it, he merely used it.

A net search shows that is is being used by many companies as a company or product name so what's the big deal with Google using it.

I think these people just saw dollar signs when they heard about it and forgot to put their brains into gear.

Listed on Wikipedia are five magazines/newspapers using the name, 5 video games, 4 bands, 2 books a magazine and a TV series in Japan and a dozen other genaral usages of the word including these:
Nexus, also known as Gap junction in cell anatomy
Nexus (data format), a common data format for neutron, x-ray, and muon science.

Funnily enough Dick's own book isn't mentioned.

Now don't get me wrong, the guy was a great writer and I have read most of his books (Sci Fi). I think his family are just clutching at straws here and I doubt they will achieve anything, except maybe some publicity which may be what they are after.
missdixy
This definitely seems to be about money. Hopefully if this goes to court no one will grant her any money because you're right, he didn't invent it and she's just being greedy... Rolling Eyes Not unusual though.
jmi256
missdixy wrote:
This definitely seems to be about money. Hopefully if this goes to court no one will grant her any money because you're right, he didn't invent it and she's just being greedy... Rolling Eyes Not unusual though.

I agree. If it was true intellectual property (a song, the full contents of a book, etc.), I would side with the heirs. But to claim they own the rights to a word just because one of their family members used the word in one of his books is silly. If this doesn't get thrown out of court I'll be disappointed.
deanhills
I can't imagine that she would win the case, as if she did, she would be able to cash in with a large number of other civil claims. If one searches Nexus there is a long list of companies that feature the name. Come to think about it, maybe this could give them an idea to sue Google, a communications technology company like Nexus may have a more legitimate claim than this lady has:
http://www.nexusis.com/about/index.asp
nigam
One thing I can say, even NexusOne only available in US, UK, HK and Singapore. But I already have this phone even if I ain't live on those countries. Just use my resourcefulness then magic happens. I am loving this phone everything as I expected really works. Lot's of cool appz and seems I won't be using any pc coz everything I need are all up on this Phone. GooglePhone Rocks....
nigam
One thing I can say, even NexusOne only available in US, UK, HK and Singapore. But I already have this phone even if I ain't live on those countries. Just use my resourcefulness then magic happens. I am loving this phone everything as I expected really works. Lot's of cool appz and seems I won't be using any pc coz everything I need are all up on this Phone. GooglePhone Rocks....
deanhills
nigam wrote:
How did you manage to get the phone? Very curious. I had a look at the link below, and it intuitively came up with that it is unavailable in the UAE, so if you have any ideas, I would be very interested to find out how one can get the phone:
http://www.google.com/phone
How does it work from air time internet point of view? Do you need to have an internet provider, and if you travelled internationally how would it work?
nigam
You can try from the link of this url http://www.intomobile.com/2010/01/10/how-do-you-order-a-nexus-one-if-you-live-outside-the-us-uk-hk-or-singapore.html
But mine is different I thought that I have relatives in US and I ask them to order for me,so I gave them my credit card no. to order. Google ship to their address. And when they got it they ship here on my address. That's it. That's how simple.
deanhills
nigam wrote:
You can try from the link of this url http://www.intomobile.com/2010/01/10/how-do-you-order-a-nexus-one-if-you-live-outside-the-us-uk-hk-or-singapore.html
But mine is different I thought that I have relatives in US and I ask them to order for me,so I gave them my credit card no. to order. Google ship to their address. And when they got it they ship here on my address. That's it. That's how simple.
Awesome link, thanks nigam. In fact, fantastic for where I am. Can I use these steps to purchase Microsoft software from the United States as well? As in the UAE we can't buy Microsoft software online and it is very expensive to buy it off the shelf.

Also, I notice the advice is for a SIM free Phone, what does that actually mean, and how would one be able to use the phone once you have it without a SIM card?
harismushtaq
But I think google should have thought of a better and more unique name. Nexus is being used and seen at too many places. Lets for example if some one says iphone, you qucikly know that one is talking about iPhone, nexus is witten on many shirts, shoes as I have seen it.
deanhills
harismushtaq wrote:
But I think google should have thought of a better and more unique name. Nexus is being used and seen at too many places. Lets for example if some one says iphone, you qucikly know that one is talking about iPhone, nexus is witten on many shirts, shoes as I have seen it.
Right, maybe like Goophi? Smile
nigam
deanhills wrote:
nigam wrote:
Awesome link, thanks nigam. In fact, fantastic for where I am. Can I use these steps to purchase Microsoft software from the United States as well? As in the UAE we can't buy Microsoft software online and it is very expensive to buy it off the shelf.

Also, I notice the advice is for a SIM free Phone, what does that actually mean, and how would one be able to use the phone once you have it without a SIM card?
you can use your local sim card because that phone is not locked with T-Mobile. So you can use any simcard from your country. Just make sure when you buy it, it's openline and not locked with T-Mobile.
deanhills
nigam wrote:
deanhills wrote:
nigam wrote:

you can use your local sim card because that phone is not locked with T-Mobile. So you can use any simcard from your country. Just make sure when you buy it, it's openline and not locked with T-Mobile.
Thanks for all your advice. Looks as though it is doable. Hopefully by the time I follow the steps Google has not found a way to restrict people outside the geographical areas from buying, as I picked up in one of the blogs that they may have recoded stuff.
nigam
Yeah I hope they will not do that because thia will increase there sales. But I think I know the reasons why do don't want to sellfrom otger countries. I think there stull trying to minimize there support because just like me. If I have a problem on this phone they surely cannot support my phone. But who needa support. If the people who bought this outside knows how to do workaround if there's a problem encountered. I've been using this phone and as a matter of fact I'm using it to post here.its really a great phone to have, I tell you. Ahahaha Google ain't paying me anything to appreciate their products.
deanhills
nigam wrote:
Yeah I hope they will not do that because thia will increase there sales. But I think I know the reasons why do don't want to sellfrom otger countries. I think there stull trying to minimize there support because just like me. If I have a problem on this phone they surely cannot support my phone. But who needa support. If the people who bought this outside knows how to do workaround if there's a problem encountered. I've been using this phone and as a matter of fact I'm using it to post here.its really a great phone to have, I tell you. Ahahaha Google ain't paying me anything to appreciate their products.
Good for you. 5 Star initiative! Smile Do you find that it is worth it however, are you getting a service out of the Nexus phone that you would not be able to get from other phones? What would the advantages be, other than having been able to get it?