FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bikes Trikes And More Needs Your Help

smokey4life
Are you a bike enthusiast? Love Mountain biking, BMX, street trials, freestyle, and so on? We need help trying to get our bike site off the ground, we need YOUR ideas, suggestions and feedback to improve the site. We have found TONS of bmx sites and other niche sites for bikes however i have been hard pressed to find a bike site that supports all bikes and biking styles.

Please check it out register, play around and let me know what i could do to further improve it. We can only get bigger and better with YOUR help!
escritor
Your website looks pretty good. I just didn't like the notice, "BT&M Is Best Viewed With Firefox". It's a right of your users to choose what browser they like the most. :p
smokey4life
Yes, you are right and i don't stop users from using whatever browser they wish Smile Bikes Trikes And More is compatible with all major browsers, however it is optimized for firefox.
Ghost Rider103
It's looking pretty good so far. Just don't give up and keep adding more and more content.

I may even join when I get back home.

I also think that "BT&M is best viewed in FireFox" needs to be removed. If your website is only optimized to be best viewed in FireFox, that is something that needs to be changed. Your website should view best in all browsers. No exceptions.

Also, I highly recommend you look into purchasing a TLD for your website.

Good luck with your website!
smokey4life
Thanks for the great feedback! and i think im going to take all of your guys advice and change or remove that. However, its not that it actually works any better in firefox the site should be working great in all major browsers as i said but when using firefox it just seems that the menus and everything seem to slide a little more elegantly, to where as when using other browsers i noticed a few things that didnt look as good as it did in firefox which is the main reason i threw that up Smile I didnt mean to course others into using firefox just cause my site is optimized for it. I think you guys are right tho and this should be removed.
Ghost Rider103
Yeah I understand what you mean. Just seemed a little unprofessional to me.

Anyways, I've registered!
smokey4life
Yes i seen, glad to have you and thanks for all your suggestions so far! I also removed the firefox suggestion from the footer. Smile I need peoples help setting up my forum structure. Since we are trying to cater to all biking styles its getting kind of tricky, anyone have any suggestions?

For example im thinking of having 1 main category for each bike type/style like "BMX" category with all bmx related boards inside but im having trouble thinking of a decent structure that's easily navigable. I dont want to get too in depth with each category tho since there's tons of categories to be added and each cat is going to have to have the same boards inside of it. Im starting to think the forums are going to be TOO big.
Ghost Rider103
Well if you do it that way, your forums will be way too big. Especially being a new website.

Since your site is new, and will be.a while before you start filling up the forum with a lot of posts, you need to start smaller. Thinking big is good, but you have to take it one step at a time.

For now, I recommend creating one category for all types. Like have "All Bikes" or whatever you want to call it. Then have all the types like BMX, Trikes, Dirtbikes, etc.

As you get bigger, you can start separating them into their own categories if needed.

Sorry if that didn't make sense or had some spelling errors. I'm on my blackberry and usually don't make this long of a post from it.

Hope that helps. Ill post more later when I get to my computer.
andysart380
really like the future bike pics cant wait till thats what you see every day.
smokey4life
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Well if you do it that way, your forums will be way too big. Especially being a new website.

Since your site is new, and will be.a while before you start filling up the forum with a lot of posts, you need to start smaller. Thinking big is good, but you have to take it one step at a time.

For now, I recommend creating one category for all types. Like have "All Bikes" or whatever you want to call it. Then have all the types like BMX, Trikes, Dirtbikes, etc.

As you get bigger, you can start separating them into their own categories if needed.

Sorry if that didn't make sense or had some spelling errors. I'm on my blackberry and usually don't make this long of a post from it.

Hope that helps. Ill post more later when I get to my computer.

I took your advice regarding the forums, I threw all the bike related stuff into 1 category and motorized stuff like dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, Cars&Trucks and whatnot into another category at least for the time being kinda keeps it smaller that way for now, i figure i could always move stuff around and/or add sub-boards in the future to better categorize things when i get more postings.

I really do appreciate your help, you have gone far beyond what i expected when i posted for feedback on my site.
escritor
The number of members is increasing. Cool
smokey4life
Yeah but unfortunately useful content isn't. Im going to have to start getting things setup a bit more so that the site is actually beneficial to people. Id like to start getting peoples bike collections and whatnot on there for starters
escritor
smokey4life wrote:
Id like to start getting peoples bike collections and whatnot on there for starters

It's always hard to begin, but after you hit a certain number of productive members, the community will keep itselft updated. Smile