FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

computers

glaider
how can i connect two computers through a single lan cable and with two diff os one is windows and antother one is vista
tdossi
With Windows PCs you go forward as follows:

first must be both PCs in the same group and be in the same IP area. then you take a lan cable (best of all gecrossed), goes from rechner on the other hand and rest then the IP area functions about ordnerfreigabe in windows. should be released of course also in local firewalls.

around bandaging one often needs one sucked. Cross Over cable. There single pipelines are exchanged, so that the broadcasting management one is connected with the receipt management of the anderern side. Indeed, one can manage with a heave or Switch which is switched between the computers. Moreover, modern LAN maps recognise if on the other side a computer hangs and then simulate automatically the Crossover cable. Result: If cables take a cross Over cable available, so that try out if one must be bought.

Software: Windows is able to do this, in principle. Actually, everything should also go by itself. If in spite of approx. 15min waiting period nothing is indicated in the network connections, has gone wrong a little bit. Then: on a calculator cmd explain, give there ipconfig. Then own IP address is indicated (four figures with points in between). This IP address give in the Explorer of the other calculator.
ForceRun
It is best if you get a router or switch to connect all your home network to.
aningbo
Code:

first must be both PCs in the same group and be in the same IP area. then you take a lan cable (best of all gecrossed), goes from rechner on the other hand and rest then the IP area functions about ordnerfreigabe in windows. should be released of course also in local firewalls.

around bandaging one often needs one sucked. Cross Over cable. There single pipelines are exchanged, so that the broadcasting management one is connected with the receipt management of the anderern side. Indeed, one can manage with a heave or Switch which is switched between the computers. Moreover, modern LAN maps recognise if on the other side a computer hangs and then simulate automatically the Crossover cable. Result: If cables take a cross Over cable available, so that try out if one must be bought.

Software: Windows is able to do this, in principle. Actually, everything should also go by itself. If in spite of approx. 15min waiting period nothing is indicated in the network connections, has gone wrong a little bit. Then: on a calculator cmd explain, give there ipconfig. Then own IP address is indicated (four figures with points in between). This IP address give in the Explorer of the other calculator.

ask the shopkeeper to cross connect the lan wire for you. plug it in and u are ready to go. follow the instructions to connect to two computers.

its best to get a router though. saves a lot of time Smile
tdossi
OK. This is the easy way. There one can make nothing wrong. Very Happy
Marcuzzo
ForceRun wrote:
It is best if you get a router or switch to connect all your home network to.

yep,
I do the same at home
ProfessorY91
tdossi wrote:

Okay, I apologize in advance for this comment, but what the freaking hell?
I'm lost reading that mess.

Its very very very simple. The guy wants to know how to connect a Windows Xp Computer to a Windows Vista computer, with a LAN cable. NOT with a bleeding router or switch. Maybe he doesn't have one, can't be bothered to buy etc. Answer the question.

Step 1. Make your own crossover cable. I like This guide. You don't need the fancy cable cutter or the fancy ends to do this bit. All you need to do is chop your cable in half, and rewire the cable according to the color coded diagram shown.

Step 2. Plug the finished cable into both of your computers.

Step 3. Create a shared folder on either computer. Right click any folder, click properties, go to sharing. Enable Sharing.

Step 4. Attempt to connect from either computer by mapping a network drive .

Your computers should now be connected. To create a home network, use the networking wizard in either XP or Vista, and choose the option "This computer connects to the internet through another computer.", especially if you're trying to set up internet access on both computers, using wireless capability and a single LAN cable.

I'll eat my socks if you need to open cmd to do any of this.
ProfessorY91
aningbo wrote:

ask the shopkeeper to cross connect the lan wire for you. plug it in and u are ready to go. follow the instructions to connect to two computers.

its best to get a router though. saves a lot of time Smile

...and carry the computers home strung together! While you're at it, grab a router! </sarcasm>

Sorry for the double post.
leontius
Why so difficult? You just need to plug in the cable, configure both computers to use different static IPs, and you're done! (Make sure the firewalls on the two computers don't interfere though.)
ProfessorY91
leontius wrote:
Why so difficult? You just need to plug in the cable, configure both computers to use different static IPs, and you're done! (Make sure the firewalls on the two computers don't interfere though.)

Have you ever tried connecting one computer to the other with a normal Cat 5 / LAN cable? Maybe you want to try looking up what we're talking about. Like in this article.

Whenever you're connecting a PC to a PC using a single cable, you're going to need a crossover cable, or a router or a switch.

Jeez.
leontius
I don't exactly know the exact terms, but from seeing the wikipedia article it seems that this "crossover cable" is THE ethernet cable I'm talking about. With this, the two ends of the cables are the same and you can just plug it in to the computers... right?

I did this before and it works great (my setup was even more complicated: I connected the third computer by wireless lan and network bridging so 3 people can play together Smile). Of course if you want any sort of file-sharing functionality then you need to have Windows shared folder etc.