FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What's the deal with service packs?

Denvis
Imagine you have a Vista home basic SP1. You want to upgrade it to Vista home basic SP2.

1. Will it cost anything?
2. Are there any problems associated with upgrading? (system failure/not genuine)

Now say you you're trying to find a website to download the SP2 are there seperate SPs for different types of OP? eg Is there a different SP for vista home basic, vista home premium, vista ultimate.

a bit confused on the subject Confused
Bondings
Normally this is free and you download it from Microsoft, just like the usual Windows updates. The only difference is that a service pack is a whole bunch of bundled updates released at the same time.

About problems, considering there are a lot of changes to the system made, there is always a risk implied. But you shouldn't worry about it, in the majority of cases there are no problems.

I guess there are differences between the different Windows versions, however Windows update does it for you, so you don't even have to be aware of this.
Agent ME
I just upgraded a Windows Vista computer to SP2. There was a little icon in the tray informing me there was an update to be installed. I clicked it, it did its thing, rebooted, and everything was normal. Installing the Service Pack is nothing. I can only imagine it maybe causing problems if you have crazy drivers set up or something.
microkosm
Service packs are basically a collection all of the major hotfixes released for windows during a certain period of time. Sometimes, additional features are added in. For example windows xp sp2 had internet explorer 7 bundled in.

Because you're installing a ton of hotfixes at once there is some chance of something going wrong, so you probably don't want to be one of the first to download and install a service pack. Let other people be the guinea pigs and then review their experiences. See here for example.

Quote:
1. Will it cost anything?

Quote:
Now say you you're trying to find a website to download the SP2 are there seperate SPs for different types of OP? eg Is there a different SP for vista home basic, vista home premium, vista ultimate.

Service packs have always been free. The safest place to download the service pack is from microsoft itself. Other places you don't know if the download is laced with a virus or trojan for example. On the other hand if you can't download from MS Shocked ... then you gotta do what you gotta do Wink
Marcuzzo
service packs are merely a bunch of updates for your system.
bugs that weren't found, security hole's that popped up, native applications that were improved by it's coder, ect...

just like in XP or any other MS OS I guess, when you buy a licence for a MS OS you get more then just a disc, they even throw in a little service Wink
Fire Boar
microkosm wrote:
For example windows xp sp2 had internet explorer 7 bundled in.

No it didn't. XP SP3 contained IE7, not SP2.
microkosm
Quote:
No it didn't. XP SP3 contained IE7, not SP2.

Actually, we're both wrong.
See this link: http://news.softpedia.com/news/No-Internet-Explorer-7-Will-Not-Be-a-Part-of-Windows-XP-SP3-73896.shtml and this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XP_SP3#Service_packs

Regardless, all of this is beside the original point. My intent was to express that new OS features are added into service packs.

This wikipedia link explaining the various VISTA service packs might actually help the OP: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_vista#Service_packs
Denvis
I get it now (: thanks! Cool