FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which Firefox Plugins For Research?

angfrayle
I am trying to make a list of Firefox plugins that one can use for web research. Can you help me identify which plugins are good for that?

I am currently using the ZOTERO plugin which is like Evernote in that it also allows you to save your clippings in a web server. But ZOTERO also helps you organize your clippings.

Do you know of other plugins?
weableandbob
Autopager is great for viewing longer pages without actually having to click on links.
angfrayle
weableandbob wrote:
Autopager is great for viewing longer pages without actually having to click on links.

Thanks. I'll check it out.
AftershockVibe
When I'm doing research I use firefox as a web browser, and only a web browser.

Since I do reports doing Latex, I just add important pages I find to my bibliography (ordered into subject sections). This is mostly a cut and paste job and "date accessed" will always be accurate if you hit F-(Whatever).

Latex only adds the references you actually cite to your bibliography so if they're already written down then all you need to do is select them. Since I have to do this for the report anyway, I don't really see much advantage to addons. I will check out Zotero though the next time I'm doing something like this.

FWIW The latest version of MS Word has some sort of citation management thing as well. Can't say if it's any good though as I've never used it!
microkosm
angfrayle wrote:
I am trying to make a list of Firefox plugins that one can use for web research. Can you help me identify which plugins are good for that?

I am currently using the ZOTERO plugin which is like Evernote in that it also allows you to save your clippings in a web server. But ZOTERO also helps you organize your clippings.

Do you know of other plugins?

Are you looking for anything else in particular? With zotero I can save copies of webpages, highlight material, add annotations in the form of sticky notes, integrate with ms office/open office, as a endnote replacement, and backup to webdav. The only thing I'm missing is the ability to highlight and make annotations in pdf files.

Also note that you start using a lot of these heavyweight extensions together and firefox is going to become slower and clunkier.