FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Solid Edge 3D CAD Software

Bobthebuilder
Hi, there is a program called Solid Edge, a 3D CAD program, that we sometimes use for graphics at school. I was wondering if anyone has ever used this before and am interested in anybodies creations in this or any other CAD software. I have created submarines, cars, hovercars, and even a complex box for a packaging assignment.
Kashinilaya
Sounds interesting. I visited the site, but it seems to require too much navigation to find out about prices. Do you know if they have a free version of the 3D software? Apparently, they have a free 2D drafting software, but it's not clear how far its features go.
Bobthebuilder
I got a free version off the school with some educational license or something... i dont know if there is a legal free download but you may be able to look around... There is a draft feature on solid edge (u can choose from solid part, sheet metal, assembly, drafts and other features) so this is probably a similar thing as the free download but it is as you said, 2D. It would still be good if you need to do technical drawings, but if you were able to get the full Solid edge it would be a lot better...
Kashinilaya
I'm not a student, so it would probably be costly. Good 3D CADs use to be expensive. I'll do some more research when I have time. Thanks for sharing the software name, anyway.

I was wondering, why don't you show a little of your work here at frihost? There is a forum for members creations. It would certainly be interesting to see.
rayz0r
I'm also a student doing Graphics technology through my high school, and I also received a copy of Solid Edge through the educational license.
I must admit it does have its flaws as far as 3d modelling goes, so I much prefer Google Sketchup. The problem with Google Sketchup is that is can't handle curves and rounded edges as well as Solid Edge can.
soljarag
Helllo

I have done a ton of 3d CAD ... I mostly use Solidworks.. it is like Solid Edge .... and sometimes i use Rhino3D for surface modeling...

you can checkout my work here: www.mclatworthy.com I have not updated it in over a year.... I have about 50 models I need to add to my portfolio sometime Smile