FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Indonesian Justice for crash pilot

paul_indo
I certainly won't fly Garuda again if this clown is still working for them.

Quote:
THE families of the Australians killed in the Garuda plane crash in 2007 are angry and disappointed that the pilot will escape a prison term and will be able to return to flying if he chooses.

Marwoto Komar had his conviction for criminal negligence quashed by an Indonesian court, in a shock decision made public last week.

Captain Marwoto had been sentenced to two years in prison in April after a court heard evidence he ignored 15 automated warnings and brought his plane into land too fast and from a much greater height than normal.

Yogyakarta's High Court overturned the decision, finding Captain Marwoto's action of negligence was not ''legally and convincingly proven'', clearing the way for him to return to work.

The crash at Yogyakarta Airport in 2007 killed 21 people, including five Australians: diplomat Liz O'Neill, Australian Financial Review journalist Morgan Mellish, AusAid official Allison Sudradjat and Australian Federal Police officers Mark Scott and Brice Steele. The Sydney Morning Herald journalist Cynthia Banham was badly injured.

Caroline Mellish, sister of Morgan, said the decision meant no one had taken responsibility for the tragedy.

''I'm angry because there have been no ramifications from the crash, for Garuda or Indonesia as a whole.

''The fact he has had his conviction quashed and pilot status reinstated, it's like nothing's happened,'' Ms Mellish said.

From Sydney Morning Herald 13 Dec 2009
harismushtaq
As far I remember, the plane was boeing 737. It is generally accepted world wide that when a plane crashes, investigation team should include the teams from the country the plane crashed in (if plane crashed on land or non-international waters), the country that ownled the plane (or where the airline was actually established that owned the plane) and the country where the plane was manufactured. If this was done here, it means that NTSB team should be in the investigation. This is not an incident local to indonesia as passengers from different countries were killed. I think the issue should be taken as serious. The pilot may or may not be at mistake but who ever is responisble should be brought to justice otherwise this will open doors for others to be ignorant and careless and can couse loss of more lives.
deanhills
I can't imagine that he would ever be employed again by a passenger airliner. Just does not make sense to me at all from a commercial and marketing point of view.
paul_indo
Jakarta Post 14 Dec 2009

Quote:
National carrier Garuda Indonesia on Sunday ruled out reinstating a pilot despite an appeal court overturning his conviction for causing a crash landing in 2007 that killed 21.

The High Court of Yogyakarta quashed Capt. Marwoto Komar's conviction for negligence in the fiery crash of a Boeing 737-400 airliner at Yogyakarta airport on March 7, 2007, lawyers said last week.

Komar was sentenced in April to two years in prison, half the sentence that prosecutors had asked for.

Garuda said Komar, a 22-year career pilot, resigned after an initial accident investigation that found he ignored 15 automated warnings and calls by his co-pilot to circle around the airport again.

Thank God for that, it is safe to fly Garuda after all.

You are probably right deanhills, no one will employ him now.
badai
well, the term not ''legally and convincingly proven'' might refer to a sucks prosecutor team.

since they are paid by the government and no matter how lazy they are, they still got their pay at the end of the month.
deanhills
paul_indo wrote:
Jakarta Post 14 Dec 2009

Quote:
National carrier Garuda Indonesia on Sunday ruled out reinstating a pilot despite an appeal court overturning his conviction for causing a crash landing in 2007 that killed 21.

The High Court of Yogyakarta quashed Capt. Marwoto Komar's conviction for negligence in the fiery crash of a Boeing 737-400 airliner at Yogyakarta airport on March 7, 2007, lawyers said last week.

Komar was sentenced in April to two years in prison, half the sentence that prosecutors had asked for.

Garuda said Komar, a 22-year career pilot, resigned after an initial accident investigation that found he ignored 15 automated warnings and calls by his co-pilot to circle around the airport again.

Thank God for that, it is safe to fly Garuda after all.

You are probably right deanhills, no one will employ him now.
Is it true that he has been flying for 22 years? Wonder how many violations it took until the accident happened? Wonder whether the airline would now pay closer attention to the other pilots as well, there has to be something lax in the discipline of their pilots?
missdixy
deanhills wrote:
I can't imagine that he would ever be employed again by a passenger airliner. Just does not make sense to me at all from a commercial and marketing point of view.

This. And I really don't understand why he would ignore FIFTEEN warnings? Seriously? What's wrong with the guy? Shame on you
deanhills
missdixy wrote:
deanhills wrote:

This. And I really don't understand why he would ignore FIFTEEN warnings? Seriously? What's wrong with the guy? Shame on you
Maybe he was used to doing it and has gotten away with it for many years, and this time round it went so badly wrong that it did count against him finally. Isn't that how life usually works? If someone complains about someone when nothing serious has happened then it reflects on the complainer, so people who are looking after their jobs tend to not complain. And guys like him gets away with it, until something like this finally happens.
ocalhoun
missdixy wrote:
deanhills wrote:

There will always be the type of people who ignore warnings. Blame also belongs to the system that gave him 15 warnings without taking more serious actions.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Blame also belongs to the system that gave him 15 warnings without taking more serious actions.
Good point. Like blaming Obama for trillions of spending, whereas the system is making that possible? Wink
harismushtaq
I think the reason autopilot system does not intervene at the last moments of a landing is that it is a very critical moment and need more intelligence than a computer system may offer. A dc9 was once flying to canada and smoke begun to fill the cabin with no fire warnings and pilot had to make a hard landing and soon after the landing, fire broke out in the cabin. 23 people evacuated but 23 other died as they were trapped in the cabin due to heavy smoke.

Now if the pilot of above flight was coming to quikly and steaply on the runway, automated system may stop him from doing so whereas at that time, it as important. So that is may be the reason that pilots are trusted more than the automated system. It may be possible that a senior pilot may feel it against his ego that he was not able to land the plane in the first approach and had to make a missed approach and that may be the reason that the pilot took chance. There should be a proper training to focus safety of passengers above any thing else and where ever a set of warnings are observed, it should be made rule to execute a missed approach.
ocalhoun
harismushtaq wrote:
I think the reason autopilot system does not intervene at the last moments of a landing is that it is a very critical moment and need more intelligence than a computer system may offer.

Is there even such a thing as an auto-pilot landing? I thought autopilots were just for keeping a straight course, and perhaps the very advanced ones could also make pre-programmed turns...

But as far as I was aware, even a normal landing is beyond the ability of a computer.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
harismushtaq wrote:
I think the reason autopilot system does not intervene at the last moments of a landing is that it is a very critical moment and need more intelligence than a computer system may offer.

Is there even such a thing as an auto-pilot landing? I thought autopilots were just for keeping a straight course, and perhaps the very advanced ones could also make pre-programmed turns...

But as far as I was aware, even a normal landing is beyond the ability of a computer.
I don't know anything about planes, but once saw a movie (well there are probably more than one about this subject) where all the pilots were dead and someone in the tower had to talk someone through to land this big plane. It would appear that the landing is semi-automatic, however she had to punch in certain numbers and fiddle around with a few knobs, like releasing the landing gear. Perhaps mistakes happen at this point where data are entered just before landing, maybe that was one of the problems that led to the Turkish Airlines crash close to Schiphol Airport.
jwellsy
I would like to know what these 15 warnings were specifically. Pretty much every landing has numerous stall warning alarms. Did this aircraft have a history of a specific nusience alarm that maintenance failed to correct? There is always several sides to every story. The thing that bothers me the most is that he blew off the co-pilot that wanted to go around. I would like to hear the recording of how that communication went down.

The guy probably will never pilot again. Like the old saying goes:
Those that can do something, will
Those that can't do it, teach it
Those that can't teach it, manage it
Those that can't manage it, get promoted.
deanhills
jwellsy wrote:
I would like to hear the recording of how that communication went down.
Me too, although the 15 warnings must have been in quick succession of one another and all about the same thing, he had been flying in too fast.

I imagine the court would have heard a recording of it. Wonder whether there would be one on YouTube?
azoundria
It is, of course, possible he panicked after there were 15 warnings going off at once, and in the few seconds he had to do something, he did nothing for fear it would be the wrong thing to do...

In any case, all that the courts decided was they couldn't prove he deliberately intended to kill 21 people. Is everyone here going to suggest that letting him go free, not to probably ever be allowed to pilot an plane again, going to somehow endanger the public? Should he be locked up like a mass murderer for such a mistake?

I'm sorry but I think the right decision was made, and it's just the way the story was written that's designed to make it interesting and provoke outrage.
deanhills
azoundria wrote:
It is, of course, possible he panicked after there were 15 warnings going off at once, and in the few seconds he had to do something, he did nothing for fear it would be the wrong thing to do...

In any case, all that the courts decided was they couldn't prove he deliberately intended to kill 21 people. Is everyone here going to suggest that letting him go free, not to probably ever be allowed to pilot an plane again, going to somehow endanger the public? Should he be locked up like a mass murderer for such a mistake?

I'm sorry but I think the right decision was made, and it's just the way the story was written that's designed to make it interesting and provoke outrage.
Interesting logic here. Not sure that you read all the postings thoroughly though. No one suggested that he should be locked up like a mass murderer. Most agreed that he would never be employed again. Which is all that we really wanted to happen anyway.