FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

VirtualBox - 1st Impressions of This Virtualization Software

Kashinilaya
I just finished my first sucessful set of tests of the free virtualization software VirtualBox. I installed a Windows 2000 virtual machine in my Mac OSX Tiger computer.

I am really happy with the results. It's stable and easy to use and looks just like another Mac software screen. I don't plan to use it to access the internet via Windows, so I didn't test that. I had the feeling that Sun Microsystems (who owns the rights to the software) made a good job with it.

There is a drawback, though: the virtual machine freezes when we put the computer to sleep and we need to restart the virtual machine when it happens.

I had a specific need, which was to install a Windows-only portuguese dictionary in my Mac. It seems, though that it works pretty well for most windows software. I'll know it better when I finish the next set of tests in january, which will include some (old) windows games. Later on, I will try to set up a Linux virtual machine and try some linux software (if I really have time for that). I'll post the results.

I used version 3.0.12, the latest for Tiger, but version 3.1.0 is available for download, but only for Leopard and up.

If you already have some experience with VirtualBox, please post it here. I don't plan to do extensive tests, so your experience may help others decide on if it's worth it to try it out.
silverdown
I will give it a shot when i got nothing to do, thanks for sharing
Diablosblizz
Dependent on what type of games, don't get your hopes up to high for these games to work. 3D visualization isn't great yet, in fact it's pretty horrible.
brokenadvice
I haven't used virtual box, so I can't really say anything bad about it. I do know it's license is a little wonks, for instance you are not legally allowed to run benchmark software in it.

I use VMWare Fusion. It works great, especially since it can use an existing boot camp partition, although I haven't needed to fully boot into windows since the install). Doing it this way disables the snapshot feature which is really nice to have. You should see if virtual box has a similar feature, as it negates the need to run antivirus software (you shouldn't need it anyways if you don't surf the web at all)
amperx
its pretty ok, provided you have a high end desktop or mac, but the thing is, you cant really rely on it for running the os as if its another workstation that you have, its just not fast and it doesnt run the applications as intended via vbox(e.g performance), lets say your going to run photoshop in virtualbox, its going to run pretty slowwww~~, even though your mac has very good resources and you specified in vbox a higher resource allocation, it still doesnt run right xd. albeit its only good if your going to test web pages, installer, application release for that OS. or running windows minesweeper lol.
JSoetens
Good software, I use it a lot for testing software on different operating systems.
It helped me out with os dependent software, I use virtualbox to run xp on windows 7, no need to dual boot and big advantage is the snapshot function.
rayxzero
Good thing about this software is it is free.
ahnguye5
VirtualBox is definitely worth trying out since it's free. I used it to try out the Chromium OS virtual disk image that was created by many people (gdgt among others) as soon as Google released the beta. The image did not work on VMWare for some reason so I gave it a shot on VirtualBox and everything went smoothly. I would put the blame for a laggy experience on Chromium's being a beta OS, but I also tried out Ubuntu 10.04 on both VMWare and VirtualBox and it was much more snappy on VMware. I'm not complaining though, it's free - and it works.
jilbs
i've been using virtualbox for like a year now.. its a good and stable virtualization program.

I mainly use it for setting up a virtual network. its faster than vmware. I have several Virtual PC which includes:

1. Trixbox server in Cent OS (used as test machine before i deployed on my company staff accommodation hotel trough LAN and it is awesome, Voip on LAN baby. Very Happy)
2. Linux 10.4 (virtualbox support Compiz and it was awesome)
3. Win 2k server for my MSExchage server
4. Windows XP Professional.

The only thing i haven't tried is installing OS X. I don't know if it works there..

Its a good program. for me, it is faster and easier to use than of VMware and i uses little amount of system resources unlike the VMware which for me is a memory hog.
Hogwarts
Diablosblizz wrote:
Dependent on what type of games, don't get your hopes up to high for these games to work. 3D visualization isn't great yet, in fact it's pretty horrible.

Don't be too harsh: DirectX works properly in virtualbox now. You can do a lot more than you used to be able too much
Starrfoxx
Hogwarts wrote:
Diablosblizz wrote:

Don't be too harsh: DirectX works properly in virtualbox now. You can do a lot more than you used to be able too much

How well does Direct X work when running a guest, Windows 95/98 system? I have some old games that will not work unless I am using W95 or W98.