FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help on loosing weight...

natilovesmike
I have been steadily gaining weight for the past 7 year...
first I gained about 15-20 lb after I got married, then I got pregnant and after delivery I realized I had gained another 30 lb! and I just couldn't loose them for a long time (3 years). Now I am serious about loosing all these unwanted weight. But I hate doing special diets or counting calories, I just wanted a system that would teach me and get me used to eating healthier. So what I started doing was eating smaller portions. (Because that was my main problem, eating really big portions). The first two weeks I started doing this I would loose 2lb a day and then it dropped to 1 lb a day for about a week...so I have lost 20lb already.

But now, even though I am still eating smaller portions I am not loosing weight as fast...or at all. For the past week I lost, gained and lost again 1lb. I also started exercising a little bit, about 2-3 times a week I will either go to the gym or do an exercise video at home.

What can I do to loose weight fast again? or at least a little faster than 1lb a week.
Bondings
The problem with losing weight (very) quickly, is that in most cases it comes back as quickly after the diet. So I wouldn't try any drastic measures like some diets suggest. The same with fasting a few days. One of the problems with those things is that it's ok for a while to do, but not in the long term. Although fasting for a day or so can be rather healthy.

What about finding some healthy food that doesn't let you gain much weight (like most vegetables and some fruits) and that you really like to eat. And then from time to time replace some less healthy food with them? Like replacing your steak with a few tomatoes or some cucumber from time to time.
deanhills
natilovesmike wrote:
What can I do to loose weight fast again? or at least a little faster than 1lb a week.
Your metabolism has adjusted to your diet. That means that you are not burning energy like you did before. So you need to change your diet completely. Our bodies are not meant to follow a monotony of eating. It needs change all the time. So if you want to loose weight over the longterm you will need to eat different foods.

Bondings is right. Diets like these really do not work. As your body is much more clever than you are. It has a wonderful way of adjusting to famine. In the meanwhile, you also start to develop cravings as your body becomes undernourished and misses certain foods. Eventually you become frustrated and give in, and you may find you gain the weight back faster than before. Your body needs to have a normal metabolism, it in fact demands it for healthy living so it is going to urge you to eat more.

I think some or other philosopher said that if you want real change, you need to do things completely differently from before or you will end up with the same results. So for us to loose weight we need to completely change our lifestyle as weight loss is not just about what we are eating, but more important, what we do with our lives. The fact that you have been steadily gaining must tell you that you are stuck in a certain lifestyle, where food has become comfort and routine, as well as hardship and punishment. Maybe you need to break out of it, and create something totally different in your life that you have not done before, such as perhaps taking up a new sport that you have always wanted to do, or learning something completely new. Or ask professional help, such as a life coach who specializes in nutrition and lifestyle issues and will help you help yourself to get unstuck. Losing weight is an awesome challenge, but I think one of the keys is continuous change, not only in what we eat, but in how energetically and determined we live our lives.
mikakiev
In my case, I lost weight when I stop eating any carbs; rice, bread, noodle, potato, other grains and so on, for supper. Let's say no carbs after 7pm. I ate some protein product and a big amount of veg to fill up.
My uncle in law was loosing weight constantly while he stopped eating at all after 6pm. Maybe it was last year, and he's on a diet again, loosing 6-7kg per month for these 3monthes. He walks 1-2 hours every day and doesn't drink or eat anything for 1 hour after his work out.

I think my way is a lot easier.
deanhills
mikakiev wrote:
In my case, I lost weight when I stop eating any carbs; rice, bread, noodle, potato, other grains and so on, for supper. Let's say no carbs after 7pm. I ate some protein product and a big amount of veg to fill up.
My uncle in law was loosing weight constantly while he stopped eating at all after 6pm. Maybe it was last year, and he's on a diet again, loosing 6-7kg per month for these 3monthes. He walks 1-2 hours every day and doesn't drink or eat anything for 1 hour after his work out.

Good for you, although I have to say good quality carbs in moderation are necessary to keep your guts clean and in good shape, such as with plenty of vegetables like you are doing! Unrefined and unprocessed grains are OK, except when they go in the too much category. Bread contains yeast and may take longer to digest as a consequence especially if one eats too much of it. Losing 6/7kg per month sounds a bit drastic for your uncle, he must weigh a lot of kilos? He sounds almost like an obsessive dieter? I think I prefer your approach with focus on moderation.
menino
Your uncle has a good strategy for his diet. I will try that = not eating after 6:00pm
jabce85
diet and cardio..cardio....cardio..... if you want to take it easy on your joints try an elliptical or a rowing machine.
b4r4t
If You don't want Yo-Yo effect then don't think about mirracle diet ... just pick one activity and stick with it. You can even Yeat normally (well ... not McDona;d's and KFC everyday, but just regullar mils).

The best exercise for loosing weight (and gain extra condition) is IMO ... running Smile Try this Smile
paul_indo
I think if you eat less you will lose weight. but you must be determined and not give in.
It is pure physics.
And what you do eat must be good healthy food so you don't get sick.

You should have a check up first with your doctor to be safe and then stick to your decision if he gives you the all clear.
mikakiev
deanhills wrote:
mikakiev wrote:

Good for you, although I have to say good quality carbs in moderation are necessary to keep your guts clean and in good shape, such as with plenty of vegetables like you are doing! Unrefined and unprocessed grains are OK, except when they go in the too much category. Bread contains yeast and may take longer to digest as a consequence especially if one eats too much of it. Losing 6/7kg per month sounds a bit drastic for your uncle, he must weigh a lot of kilos? He sounds almost like an obsessive dieter? I think I prefer your approach with focus on moderation.

His weight was nearly 120kg, I guess. He's a well built guy, ex judo player and the height is over 180cm. Obsessive? maybe. Or he wants to show that he's got a strong will. His wife is a gastroenterologist, doctor of digestion system and could give him good advice(, if he wants to hear his wife!).
raver
Dieting sucks, as it will come back and bite you.
Best thing to do is, and you are already on your way
cut down the portions if you over eat
eat healthy food. Regarding vegetables, it is best to eat them raw, not cooked, as that takes away many of their good nutrients.
Exercise a lot.
IF you want to join a gym, best program so far for loosing weight, is first you do a muscle building program followed immediately by a jogging session on the thread meal. This gives the maximum burning rate for fat.
If you can't exercise a lot, then simply walk for 1-2 hours a day.
And as always, a positive attitude will be the main fuel for your weight loss.
zbale
natilovesmike wrote:
I hate doing special diets or counting calories, I just wanted a system that would teach me and get me used to eating healthier.

I think you are definitely right to look for a change in eating habits rather than a supposedly miracle diet (the latter usually don't work, or only for so long). I know people who simply realized they had to make a radical change in the way the ate, which did not mean not having fun eating but simply meant knowing what kind of food will keep you healthy and what kind will take you on the path of gaining more and more weight.

It is of course not just a matter of how much you eat but also of what you eat. In the US people talk a lot about calories but other approaches actually question the relevance of counting calories and focus on other parameters (such as how to cook the food). I know many people who recommend the books of Montignac, a French scientist who basically tried to understand why the French diet works. I think his method rests on two stages, one to lose weight and one to keep a healthy diet. At any rate, the recipes he gives are as healthy as it gets and taste great.
zbale
raver wrote:
Regarding vegetables, it is best to eat them raw, not cooked, as that takes away many of their good nutrients.

Actually, I believe that steaming vegetables in a pressure cooker (a utensil found in every French kitchen) preserves their nutrients because the steam is kept within the pot. In terms of cooking, boiling and steaming vegetables is very healthy (though it is indeed very important to eat a lot of raw vegetables).

Also, part of the important changes for some people rests in the way you organize a meal: if you start with the main course you won't be hungry for a salad afterwards. If you start with the salad, then you already made sure you had vegetables and you will be less hungry for the main course (needless to say that in France people start with the salad, or a vegetable soup in winter).
beauregard
Dieting is definitely a real struggle. I gained 90 pounds over the course of four years, and I have spent the last 8 months losing 50 of those pounds. I moved to a big city and started biking, so that has helped a lot. I also started drinking more tea and coffee...with no sugar whatsoever. I switched to soy milk and rice milk instead of cow's milk...that helped reduce my congestion and made me breath easier at night (was suffering from sleep apnea, which is statistically linked to being overweight...I argue that sleep apnea can cause weight gain and vice versa). I also try avoid "appetite stimuli", ie situations and things that make me unusually hungry.

One of the major things, though, is to not lose hope and confidence in yourself. It's easier to break from the diet if you feel dejected. But if you do break from your diet, a natural reaction is to feel discouraged, so you just have to think positively constantly.

More recently, I started taking melatonin pills to help me sleep. I have noticed that I tend to eat some junk food late at night, so taking a natural sleeping pill before I want to go to bed helps me go to sleep and not get up to eat.

Losing weight, for me, was a real life style change. I am a much happier person now and I feel like I have a new lease on life. I hope that you spend time figuring out what can help you lose weight since we are all very different, and people gain weight for different reasons.
zbale
Bravo, "beauregard", this is amazing and it seems indeed that one of the solutions is to set "traps" to oneself (so that one doesn't fall into the traps of what makes you gain weight).

I hope the use of sleeping pills is not a problem, though. I guess one should check these things with one's doctor beforehand or something?
deanhills
zbale wrote:
Bravo, "beauregard", this is amazing and it seems indeed that one of the solutions is to set "traps" to oneself (so that one doesn't fall into the traps of what makes you gain weight).

I hope the use of sleeping pills is not a problem, though. I guess one should check these things with one's doctor beforehand or something?
Agreed "zbale". Well done "beauregard". Applause

I can relate to many of the things "beauregard" said, like the sleep apnea for example and the viscious circle it creates with lack of sleep, gaining weight and becoming a cycle. I have never had any breathing problems in my life, until lately, and I think you have pointed your finger on the problem for me. Dairy products. As I have been drinking high-protein drinks with skim milk on a regular basis over a longish period of time. Thanks for the encouragement in your posting. Lots of food for thought in it!
malcolmpreen
Definitely do not look for a quick fix.... Everything is personal....

The only diet I followed for any time was Atkins.... I didn't actually loose much weight, but I lost about six inches around my waist.

My best plan has been to eat sensibly.... and to lose a little more then reduce the portion sizes... and the key point is exercise.... so my vote would be to get a dog... preferably a big one which likes lots of walkies !!!

Malcolm
Crinoid
Welcome to the club! Wink
Unfortunately, metabolism changes, especially if this is accompanied by more sedentary life. Digestion changes, and one should become aware what kind of (not junk) food makes stop feeling hungry or wanting to eat something. In smaller amounts, lasting for longer time.

Together with a lot or exercise, even jogging or making rounds for something you need, actually helps. Day after day, for hours, with no access to refrigerator or cafe on the way. When there is no time to event think about food, leave alone find it.

I'm in the same boat Laughing
natilovesmike
Thanks everyone for your advice, some of the things you said are actually really helpful. I am now eating more (not starving myself) but more healthy foods, organic, lots of vegetables and fruit and fiber. I am also trying to walk everyday, this is hard since I work all day and I am taking care of my 3 1/2 year old on my own at the moment, but I try to take him to places where I can jump with him if I can.

I have now lost 35lb total and I am working on the next 35 lb to get to my ideal weight...all of you who said a positive attitude is what it takes are right...and now matter how hard life gets I want to feel good about myself and if that takes a little effort...then better.

Thank you all!
airh3ad
What if Change your life style! you say you’re on a diet, it means that after a while, you will stop doing that. Simply being on a diet is not enough. Therefore, one of the best losing weight tips is to change your lifestyle altogether, and not merely go on a diet. Don’t say you’ll cut on your calorie intake for three months. Otherwise, after the said time frame, you’d reward yourself with excessive amounts of food. And just like a bubble, your newly acquired body size will vanish!
Make it your new eating habit instead. Practice consuming only what is necessary. Only on rare occasions, and that really means rarely, can you indulge and reward yourself.
Greatking
i agree with some of the points raised. forinstance being on a diet for some time does not help, there has to be total change of life style. what you take in must be constant and balanced. it must continue forever. one thing i know though i would rather control my weight now that i am not fat than let it get out of hand and then begin to take control. i think that is most difficult. triying to control weight. taking in lots of fruits and vegetables, the balanced diet, not starving yourself, eating breakfast, lunch and dinner in the right proportions and the normal exercise, by this i mean jogging or sit ups and push ups you know regular exercise.
loyal
natilovesmike wrote:
first I gained about 15-20 lb after I got married, then I got pregnant and after delivery I realized I had gained another 30 lb! and I just couldn't loose them for a long time (3 years). Now I am serious about loosing all these unwanted weight. But I hate doing special diets or counting calories, I just wanted a system that would teach me and get me used to eating healthier. So what I started doing was eating smaller portions. (Because that was my main problem, eating really big portions). The first two weeks I started doing this I would loose 2lb a day and then it dropped to 1 lb a day for about a week...so I have lost 20lb already.

But now, even though I am still eating smaller portions I am not loosing weight as fast...or at all. For the past week I lost, gained and lost again 1lb. I also started exercising a little bit, about 2-3 times a week I will either go to the gym or do an exercise video at home.

Dieting alone won't help. You need to increase your body's requirement for food/energy, for example by exercise, and you need to decrease the amount you are eating (look at the fat and glucose content of everything you eat). Try walking (walking is better than running for loosing fat) for a few hours a day, while eating a little less than normal, and you'll loose weight.

Just my two cents.
Peace.
annielizstan
Hi,
Healthy diet, supplements may help with weight loss.
Use green tea Spinach.
Eat fresh and raw vegetables and drink more water.
Hope will help.
mustatab
Dieitng alone never works and you do need to increase your metabolism. As dieting can reduce your metabolism as the body switches off. So increase metabolism you can only do good 45 minutes execise if you do not have any cardiac problem. If you are above 40 then do see your doctor before starting the exercise. If you can do more than 45 min then you can even quickly. Star slow and then gradually increase over time. Do not do too much initially as you can have injury and then the exercise will have to stop and you reach square one.
Best exercise to lose quickly is to jog for 2 min then 1 min stroll and then 2 min jog. You can make it more and less jog according to your body stamina.
But this pushes your body and muscles and you burn more calories. Just a walk in park is just some physical activity.
SO do the exercise. Make plan and schedule and search for friend to start with you. THis way you can both do it and motivate each other.
kate124
Take green tea after meals at nights without sugar. Add a little lemon to it if u think your stomach will not get upset due to acidity as the lemon produces a little acidity OR add one lemon to luke warm water and take it in the morning before having brakfast. It will definitely help
Atwater
Yoga exercises reduce hypertension, yoga improve the feelings and the very subjective well being, yoga reduced cholesterol level....
mshafiq
Try to drink Luke warm water with lemon juice early in the morning every day as soon as you wake up .It clean your digestive system by removing unwanted material and helps to clean liver also.
Lemon juice flushes out unwanted materials and toxins from the body.Lemon juice help to relieve symptoms of indigestion, such as heartburn, belching and bloating.
Drinking Luke warm water with lemon juice help stimulate bowel movements.
Lemon has Vitamin C that is very important for healthy glowing skin
Peterssidan
@mshafiq I see that you have recommended lukewarm water with lemon juice in a number of threads so it must be very effective, but do you have any reliable source on what you say? I also don't understand how any of the good things you say, vitamin C, bowel movements, less toxins, etc. makes you lose weight. Care to explain?
BigGeek
Been doing this sort of thing dieting as you might call it for decades. I do not actually consider the way I eat dieting however I have managed to keep my body fat between 10 and 15% for the last 20 years of so.

Walking is good no doubt, also look into HIIT training (High Intensity Interval Training) and try that 2 or 3 times a week along with your walks, should not take you more than 20 minutes a session.

Next, it is not fats that make you gain body fat, latest research shows that it is sugar that causes fat gain. Sugars, quick carbs are meant for energy and if you are not expending enough energy when consuming them, the body will go into a mode where every time you eat sugary foods it will convert it to body fat to store it for future use. This is the type of metabolic change that precedes obesity, and type 2 diabetes, so when it starts happening to people it is difficult to handle. The other problem is that once the body goes into this mode it is hard to get it out of it. The body resists change.

Oddly enough the fat gain is and the ability to burn carbs for energy and not store them in fat is tied to insulin sensitivity. The insulin becomes less sensitive to processing carbs and in effect gets lazy and wants to process the carbs into fat. The other funny thing is that the one exercise that makes the insulin sensitive again so it will burn the carbs for energy is lifting weights. Yup lifting weights in the 8 to 12 rep range depletes the glycogen stores in the muscles and for a few hours after an intense lift the insulin is supper sensitive and burns up and sugars using them to replace the glycogen stores depleted during the workout.

So how can you make use of this information.

1) Cut out all sugars, no sodas, sweets, or refined carbs.

2) Only time you consume and sugars is after a weight lifting session.

3) ad in 3 interval training sessions a week

4) Do your cardio work in the morning on an empty stomach and then consume breakfast

5) Take 3 to 4 grams of fish oil a day.

Fish oil will cause your liver to get into fat burning mode in the absence of carbs, and the body will begin to burn the fat for energy rather than look for carbs, and once this process starts you will drop body fat pretty dramatically.

If you want to learn about fat loss visit www.t-nation.com and read what the body builders have to say about it. If you want to learn how to lose weight ask a guy with 6% body fat what he did to get there!!!!! Cool
Denzel
Weight loss is not a very difficult task. With some exercise and a diet plan we can easily loss weight in some weeks. Try yoga and some other cardio exercises for weight loss.
panolga
First - it is not a good thing losing weight very quickly. As Bondings, above, rightly said, in most cases it returns as quickly after you stop the diet. Our weight is not only dependent on how much we eat or how many calories we burn - the matter is much more complex. Some people eat a lot, move very little, and still remain bare-boned, because they have a very fast metabolism (what actually is not healthy).
So, you should lose wait slowly, then your body will get used to a new condition.
How to achieve this?
1. Exercising everyday – 5 min every day is better than 40 min 3 times a week. Avoid very intensive exercises or exercises with weights (they build unwanted muscles). Slow exercises and stretching exercises – that is what you need. Avoid moving only by car; walk regularly and use stairs up instead of elevator – is a very good idea.
2. Have normal three meals a day, and no special diets. Eat everything in normal portions, except for sweet stuff, cakes, junk food, which you should avoid. Learn to enjoy vegetables and fruit. Eat meat 2 times a week, not more. The most important thing is don’t combine in your food proteins and carbohydrates together, eat either one or the other! As example - don’t eat meat with rice, potatoes or pasta, instead eat it with a vegetable salad, or cooked vegetables (except potatoes); or conversely, don’t eat rice, potatoes or pasta with meat or cheese. Traditional sandwiches and hamburgers are also not good for you. Vegetables (except potatoes), fruits, lettuce, oils and even fat can be eaten in addition with everything – they are neutral group. You may search on the Internet or look at the food packages to find out about protein and carbohydrates. Many kinds of food comprise both – in such cases a proportion of 80:20 or 70:30 is alright; 50:50 should be avoided.
I hope this helps – and I wish you luck!
mshafiq
Walk is very good exercise. if you have habit of walk daily then you feel more slim and smart
Walk is kind of relaxation.it helps to relieve stress. fatigue and tension.when we are free from tension we have better decision power and thinking power

After dinner if we have ahibit of fifteen to twenty minute walk.it is very good for us.it helps in easy digestion of food and sleep well
Nyasro
BEst for loosing weight is to run atleast 5km per day in the morning.
steeve
Do workout daily.
Drink Green Tea
Avoid fast food
Cut down salt and sugar
Do yoga regular
There are an effective ways to reduce weight.
tonberry
Amphetamine and cigarettes are two of the best ways to lose way quickly, although many people are resistant even to that.

The single best way is to start running and limit eating. It's that simple and all you need is determination. After a month, you should be running 5 miles a day 5 days a week. Stop eating junk food and eat only healthy food. If you really want it, you'll weigh at least 10kg less after another few months. I've seen that transformation quite a few times, as I know few fatties who can't be called that anymore. The biggest chance was 35kg less. The guy didn't even look fat when he was in his sumo-prime, but the scale shows another story.

If you have really f-ed up genes, even that won't help but that's like a 1/1000 chance so I wouldn't worry, I would work my ass off Wink
deanhills
I think there is a psychological angle to it requiring passion and determination to lose that weight that exceeds one's attachment to destructive habits. There has to be a burning passion that is enough to get one to make a total change to one's daily habits and eating choices. Once that major hurdle has been passed, the other crucial element is a lifestyle that is natural and that one can live with. In other words no starving, but healthy meals that fill one up and activities that are fun and provide exercise as well. I've found having fist size protein helpings at least twice a day with plenty of vegetables and fruit and holding off on cereals like rice, oats, etc. works well. But mostly all of it starts in the mind. It's the only place that real change is possible. Also to accept that losing weight is a process that goes on forever. Otherwise people may tend to get close to their target weight and relapse. Think a weight loss guru once said that if it takes one year to lose the weight, one should continue another year with the same program in order to make the weight loss and habits associated with that weight loss stick.
mshafiq
Always try to eat according to food guide.always eat three times in a day.
Do exercise daily.Make your habit of doing exercise. watch your weight.you will not be fat any more.
mshafiq
Eat healthy food, do not eat junk foot or fatty food and exercise according to your body requirement.
loveandormoney
natilovesmike wrote:

The question is old.
But many people wrote here in the thread

I have a problem with eating.

So whats the question:; Nearly all humans have a eating problem do eat alone
so tomorrow start once a day eat with a friend.