FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Remote access without logoff..

Da Rossa
Hi
IS there a way to have my laptop, which runs Windows 7, to be remotely accessed via my desktop through the remote desktop protocol, but without being forced to logoff? In the minute I connect via my home network, using both computers side-by-side, the laptop will "switch off" the monitor so it can be accessed through the desktop. When I go to the laptop and type the logon password, it logs on but the RDP session is necessarily finished.

I`d like to have both users, the local and the remote, to be using the laptop at the same time.

Is that possible?
mOrpheuS
Da Rossa wrote:
I`d like to have both users, the local and the remote, to be using the laptop at the same time.

Is that possible?

Windows 7 only allows one user at a time.

So that's not legally possible.

You will need a Windows server operating system to allow simultaneous use by different users.

Da Rossa wrote:
IS there a way to have my laptop, which runs Windows 7, to be remotely accessed via my desktop through the remote desktop protocol, but [i]without being forced to logoff?

A log-off will only be enforced if a different user connects to the same computer.
If the same user connects from a different location, they will be presented with their existing session.
Fire Boar
The remote desktop protocol doesn't allow that as Morpheus correctly said, however, VNC is a quite different remote access protocol that allows multiple people to see and interact with the same desktop at once. There is no chance of splitting the tasks between you though... you share one desktop, one login. It's just a different way of doing it.
Da Rossa
Err, but is there a way to have the same user be logged on simultaneously from two different places?

VNC is not an option because even in my intranet it is so slow that I don't know why (I use tightVNC).
Fire Boar
With TightVNC there is a recommended driver, at least with the latest version. Install that on the server and give it another shot - it speeds things up a lot because rather than polling the display for changes, you're polling the graphics card which is far more efficient.
Da Rossa
I just downloaded the latest TighVNC version, and tried. Didn't work at all: I setup on the notebook the VNC Server and the viewer here in the desktop. When I input the password after the ip to connect, I get a glimpse of the notebooks desktop then "connection closed". At the second try, I don't get the glimpse, but only "connection closed" error.

And Windows 7 recognizes VNC as a new "user" so it will close my RDP connection before letting me see it with VNC.

Whats missing?
Fire Boar
VNC and RDP do not play nice together. Use only one at a time, definitely.
Da Rossa
I see it.
Can VNC be used together with the "present" user, I mean, connecting to my laptop, which is next to my desktop, via VNC, but without having to log off? I see that with RDP this is not possible at least in Windows 7.
Diablosblizz
I've tried this as well, it can't be done with Windows software. I tried to do this to start a presentation without having anybody do it (was doing a cemony for school - and needed to remote start the presentation) and I wasn't able to figure it out. I even tried to mirror the screen, but it's not possible from Windows.

Never tried anything else though.
Agent ME
A VNC-family program (I've tried RealVNC and UltraVNC) should allow you to connect and share the active desktop session. By default, the host's screen is visible to both the host and client, and both can control it (though there's still only one mouse cursor). UltraVNC has options to allow you to disallow input on the host computer while a client is connected and optionally blank the screen.
ForceRun
Give GotoMyPC a try, it might be able to do it.
Da Rossa
ForceRun wrote:
Give GotoMyPC a try, it might be able to do it.

Hmm... I can't afford anything non-free right now...
Diablosblizz
I just realized how dumb I've been. I believe that Teamviewer would do the job quite well. It does remote control without the user logging off. Remote assistance would work as well for your needs. I'm not sure, but you'd have to have the laptop give control to the desktop everytime you connect, unless you leave it always connected.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but you might be able to set up TV to work locally, if not it'll be via the internet and there WILL be some lag, but nothing too unbearable.

Boy, I feel like a dumbass right now.
Da Rossa
LOL Come on man! No problem at all.

I'm trying Teamview. Appears to be sleek. However I dunno if my computers are connected through the LAN or through the Internet.. how do I know? Now I feel like a dumbass! Very Happy
Fire Boar
If the host and guest are behind the same router, they're connected through LAN. Otherwise, through the internet. LAN typically uses IP addresses 192.168.*.* or 10.*.*.*, so if you're using an address like that to connect you can be certain that it's a LAN connection.
Da Rossa
Yes they are behind the same router. But this is definitive that they are connected through lan?
How can I, inside the program, know what are the active IPs?
Fire Boar
In that case, yes, they are connected through LAN. Basically, you pay an ISP for a single internet connection. Your router is a gateway that takes advantage of that connection and sets up a LAN that all your computers can use. The other alternative is buying a separate internet connection for each computer.

As for discovering the IP address, you discover it in your operating system and tell it to the program, not the other way around. To find out the LAN address, on Windows the command ipconfig (run from DOS) should have an "internet address" entry. On Linux, ifconfig has a similar entry. To find out your WAN address, either go to your router's settings by browsing to the entry listed under "default gateway" as per the above command, or slightly easier type "what is my ip" into Google and hit "I'm feeling lucky".

The absolute 100% definitive way to discover beyond a shadow of a doubt whether your computers are on the same LAN or not is to visit a "what is my ip" service with both computers. If both are the same, the machines are on the same LAN. If they are different, they're not.
Da Rossa
Now I get it!!
Thanks a lot brother! Very Happy