FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Chat Software

jmi256
I'm looking for chat software/applications, and thought someone here may help me. There are tons of them out there, but what I need has to have two specific features, and I can't seem to find something that has both and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The core functionality should be pretty basic, and I don't need to be able to push files to the users. I also don't need metrics/analytics, which a lot of vendors seem to push. What I do need, though, is the ability to have all chat sessions emailed/SMS'd to a default email address at the end of each session. I also need be able to pass session variables to the chat client so that users will not have to log in a second time. This functionality will sit within a site that is protected by a secure login (there will be other functionality behind the login), and I don't want to make users log in again to the chat module.
Does anyone know of something that may work?
Thanks in advance.
jmi256
anllyy wrote:
I think google talk is good. You can use it with gmail now.

Do they offer that as a standalone application or just as part of gmail/Google?
weableandbob
Yes, there's a standalone application. Just google "google talk"
silverdown
you can do this also with phpmail or sometihng like it you post and ppl get emails send or with a newsletter software for a web run function. but like as said above gmail/gtalk has this function already built in.
Tuvitor
I use mIRC or Chatzilla for IRC on Windows, X-Chat for IRC on Linux, and Pidgin for everything else. It's quite nice--supports just about everything and is open source so you're not going to get malware/crapware if you download it from its official site (which is pidgin.im by the way)