FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is the best and most reliable anti virus

qazaman
Hey guys ,,

I was wondering which anti virus is the best as i have a few trojans and loads of malware. This means that i really need a good anti virus whicnh is capapble of getting rid of all that stuff. Any suggestions please help,

Much Apreciated
Possum
Hi

I use these because they're free and hopefully its a Microsoft problem. Solved by Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx

Im not too sure but one of these products protects Hotmail..
anasash
[b]guyz wat i advise is to use a variety of programs to be completely free of malwarez.
wat i use is AVG anti-virus 9.0 free edition to remove the viruses, MalwareBytes to remove the other malwares, SpyBot Search And Destroy to remove spywares, Trojan remover to remove trojans and TuneUp Utilities 2009 to search and analize my system for any security holes. Once my AVG was not updated, and don't know how, but a virus got into my computer. The moment i finished updating AVG, it popped up, showing the virus. I do it like this for a long time and know what, it doesn't crash the system like anti-viruses in the same pc does and keeps me away from any kind of harmful softwares............!
Diablosblizz
There is no "best" antivirus. Instead, you should be looking into what you want. If you want a basic antivirus, I would recommend Avast, Avira, or Comodo. These all are free. I would strongly recommend Comodo because it has Defense + which is a strong technology that blocks unwanted behavior. Give Comodo a try, and let it wreck havoc on your PC!
milleja46
I would try malware bytes, it is free for the free version and runs pretty fast and is pretty good about removing viruses. You just have to be careful, when doing things.
Jean-Clod
Possum wrote:
Hi

I use these because they're free and hopefully its a Microsoft problem. Solved by Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx

Im not too sure but one of these products protects Hotmail..

Security Essentials is a great choice indeed. Defender isn't included in Win7 anymore I think?
ForceRun
Windows Defender is still there, but if you run an other anti-spyware type of programs that Windows 7 recognized Windows Defender will turn itself off. Which is a nice feature as most anti-malware programs don't play nice which each other.
welshsteve
For free software I would highly recommend Comodo, as has already been said. I've been using it a while on machine I do not have a paid for licence, and it is excellent.

If you want to pay, I would recommend Kaspersky. Great protection, great price, and nowhere near as obrusive as the likes of Norton on your system
bloodrider
The best Antivirus is yourself, as some has stated already.
As for software Razz, for free you have Avira, it's a good choice. Comodo Antivirus I never tried but you can give it a try, software from Comodo usually is well coded.
For a paid solution, I would go to ESET (it's what I use), they have a really good detection rate, a good scanning speed and it won't overweight your PC. Kaspersky it's a good solution too but comparing it to ESET it's more heavier.
weableandbob
AVG, Avira, and Avast are all very good for being free, although there's no definite "better" one
Arty
I use Avira. I like it better than Avast. Never tried AVG.
dickyzin
I've just installed Microsoft Security Essentials. Giving it a shot to see if I should replace my Symentec Antivirus. Been getting a lot of thumbs up for Microsoft Security Essentials.
Insanity
I've been using avast for a long time, and I don't see a lot of problems. Generally though, I rarely encounter any viruses or trojans or all that bad stuff because I usually stay away from any suspicious looking software and downloads. I think that is a key factor in protecting yourself, and it will work better than any anti-virus software you download. As long as you're cautious, you most likely won't even need the services of avast or other similar commericial software.
tukun2009manit
qazaman wrote:
Hey guys ,,

I was wondering which anti virus is the best as i have a few trojans and loads of malware. This means that i really need a good anti virus whicnh is capapble of getting rid of all that stuff. Any suggestions please help,

Much Apreciated

i use avira but i came to know that its not good for windows user why don't you try avira its open source free to use i use it and its works fine but remember for installing avira you need internet because of a procedure for registering you if you don't get any internet then its difficult to install. every anti-virus is almost equally power full but you shoul get updated one otherwise best one will also not work out. i want to say that don't use metacafe it delete file if it suspects any file looks likes virus to him so it is not safe
ForceRun
When selecting a good anti-virus one of the main things to look for is a program that doesn't constantly bug the user. Unlike the old Nortan that would pop up every 5 mins. I'm using just basic Windows Securty and seems to be fine and doesn't pop up at all.
babarus
for windows Security Essentials is the best it.s do his work fain....
milleja46
But still it's your personal dicison, on what to do about that.
PureReborn
Before I used AVG, but now I moved to WIndows Securities Essentials. Also use spyaware and adaware to scan for other things too.

To be honest, any of the popular anti virus will get the job done as long as you're not being stupid and doing reckless things. Just dont use norton.
microsnitch
I'm recommending Kaspersky Antivirus for the best commercial antivirus solution. I tried it for years and viruses, trojans, worms and other malicious files never had the chance to infect my computer. Kaspersky Antivirus provides intense virus protection wherein when it detected virus patterns on your files it automatically informs you and asks for the step you want to make. It has less false-positive detection on viruses that why I'm recommending it. It is the antivirus software that most large companies and schools use.

I'm recommending Avast 5 for best free antivirus solution. It provides complete antivirus solution but costs nothing. It provides real-time protection for your computer and provide on-demand scan for thorough and light detection of virus, trojans, malwares and worms whenever you need it. It could also be set to silent/gaming mode where avast won't display notifications for updates and scanning results. I actually like this feature.
Da Rossa
qazaman wrote:
Hey guys ,,

Much Apreciated

I'm sorry but you'll never find that answer. antiviruses are morphing creatures. Today someone is the best at catching the insects, but in 24 hours the situation has changed.
The best, the ideal thing is not to have to use an antivirus, but, instead, create an image from your harddrive using some tool like Acronis True Image Home. Then, when the viruses come, you'll have all refreshed, going back to the state your HD was when you created the image.
Diablosblizz
microsnitch wrote:
I'm recommending Kaspersky Antivirus for the best commercial antivirus solution. I tried it for years and viruses, trojans, worms and other malicious files never had the chance to infect my computer. Kaspersky Antivirus provides intense virus protection wherein when it detected virus patterns on your files it automatically informs you and asks for the step you want to make. It has less false-positive detection on viruses that why I'm recommending it. It is the antivirus software that most large companies and schools use.

I'm recommending Avast 5 for best free antivirus solution. It provides complete antivirus solution but costs nothing. It provides real-time protection for your computer and provide on-demand scan for thorough and light detection of virus, trojans, malwares and worms whenever you need it. It could also be set to silent/gaming mode where avast won't display notifications for updates and scanning results. I actually like this feature.

I have to agree with you on both points here, although Kaspersky is peeving me off. Both the program and support has gone wrong. Program keeps on crashing, support sends me some automatic email on steps to fix something I don't need fixing.
Denvis
I don't really know what's the best anti-virus however I use AVG and it's pretty reliable and low maintenance. Then again, I rarely get viruses simply because I download responsible and take precautions before doing something. You can have the best anti-viruses on the market but if you're a moron, it won't matter what application you have.
optin
There are a number of good antivirus present in the market. But the one i think is best is ZenOK Free Antivirus Below are some points which make it more useful than the rest.

1. It is very light and less resource consuming.
2. It is easy to install.
3. It is effective against most of the viruses with high virus search rate.
4. It has many add-on features like internet security, firewall, identity safe, Online Backup, etc. These all features make it unique and more useful.

Regards,
portoskt
comodo internet security (antivirus + firewall) is my favourite
snowboardalliance
I know you're getting a ton of opinions, but I'll throw mine in.

I use Avira for AV (used to use AVG but felt it was a bit of a resource hog)
Comodo for firewall

and a few others for occasional scans, like MalwareBytes and SUPERantispyware
greko45
well I was using microsoft security..but a friend of mine recommended me ZenOK free antivirus for me it's working great and it's a good anti-spyware and anti-malware. there are a lot of reliable antivirus software now...is not like in the past when you only trusted a couple of ones. the good thing is that you have a lot to choose from and it's free protection against trojans and viruses.

http://www.zenok.com/free-antivirus/
chartcentral
I'm using Avira AntiVir at home and I'm satisfied with the protection it gives. The companies I work for use Avast and Trend Micro, and they're giving sufficient protection as well. Smile
iman
I use Avira. It's unobtrusive (doesn't show those annoying messages at startup), it doesn't eat up your cpu (unlike avg), it's simple and clean (unlike kaspersky), and it's free. It cleans out viruses pretty well, so I'm fine with it Very Happy
menino
Avira Antivirus, I've heard a lot about, but not used as yet.
I just installed windows 7 for a friend of mine, and then installed AVG, 2011 and it slowed the system a bit.
I will ask him to uninstall avg and install avira and see which one he likes.

Thanks for the feedback and reviews, but I think Antiviruses strength fluctuate everyday.
I remember when avast and eset were superfast, but now both are resource hogs.
rockpan
i suggest you learn how viruses spread, then you will know how to change you habits.
Good habits is more efficient than good AV.
gfreezy
qazaman wrote:
Hey guys ,,

Much Apreciated

Avira AntiVir fits me well.
And it's free.
nivinjoy
How is the new Comodo Internet Security Premium..?? Its is a free antivirus, Firewall and Internet security suite. The entire thing comes free of cost.

Code:
Download Link:

http://www.comodo.com/home/download/download.php?prod=cis

What their website says:

Quote:
Features
Antivirus, Anti-Spyware, Anti-Rootkit & Bot protection
Defends your PC from Internet attacks
Detects and eliminates viruses
Prevents malware from being installed
Auto Sandbox Technology™
Easy to install, configure and use
Free to both business and home users
60 Days of FREE GeekBuddy live remote PC support

Any opinion from anyone those who are using or had used this software because I am using the 64 Bit version of this software in my personal PC system.. All opinions are welcome..!!
menino
menino wrote:
Avira Antivirus, I've heard a lot about, but not used as yet.
I just installed windows 7 for a friend of mine, and then installed AVG, 2011 and it slowed the system a bit.
I will ask him to uninstall avg and install avira and see which one he likes.

Thanks for the feedback and reviews, but I think Antiviruses strength fluctuate everyday.
I remember when avast and eset were superfast, but now both are resource hogs.

Update : My friend found avg 2011 to be a resource hog, so he uninstalled it and then installed avira, and his system is faster.
But a lot of antiviruses are faster in the beginning, and after a while they become resource hogs.

ESET nod32 is not as much of a resource hog, but it is heavier now than when it first came out... but its not free.

COMODO might be worth a try, and hopefully someone will post a review here.
welshsteve
Personally I think a lot of them are very similar in the protection they provide. I would say virtually every one of them takes up a lot of system resources though, and having a machine with anything less than 2GB RAM these days, and a decent CPU can cause your machine to run slow if you're running a full security suite
nivinjoy
welshsteve wrote:
Personally I think a lot of them are very similar in the protection they provide. I would say virtually every one of them takes up a lot of system resources though, and having a machine with anything less than 2GB RAM these days, and a decent CPU can cause your machine to run slow if you're running a full security suite

Yeah true. As far the Operating systems are concerned they too are becoming more complicated and heavy as newer versions are being released from time to time.. Hence the anti virus scan becomes more complicated and slower as a huge quantity of files are to be scanned.
Check out the following results for Anti virus scan speed and time taken for scanning.

Scan Speed

Scan Time: (for 50GB used hard-drive space)

Source: http://www.antivirusware.com/testing/scan-time/
uzzy22
Kaspersky the best and the expert choice not for regular user, only fast machine and geek user
Avira more detect level than Nod
Nod the average Antivirus I recommend it for normal user
the rest... keep away for them
zephysmith
I am using Panda Antivirus + Firewall 2011 coz it has the complete software package that let you remove spyware, adware, trojans, worms, rootkits and other malware that every time you try to infect and damage the operation of the computer.
SultanMA
ESET nod 32 4. And kaspersky , but it's too slow and makes the PC so slow.
chartcentral
On the original question, which is: "What is the best and most reliable anti virus?" I gotta say that in addition to detecting malware and viruses, the anti-virus software should also keep false positives at a minimum. Smile
tamilparks
i am using avast its very fast for me