FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Java Game

manlear
I am starting a Text Based Game that i will be coding with java. I am needing some idea's if anyone is interested in helpin me out. Thnx a billion.
leontius
You want to make a text-based game but don't have the idea? So you just want to practice programming but do not have any original idea whatsoever? Try to think about it for a while. Implementing your own idea will be fun.
Peterssidan
I assume you are talking about the kind of game were the user interact by writing text.
You could have some text-based graphics if you you want but I don't think Java has build in support for different colors (using System.out) so it's probably better (and easier) to just describe things through text.

the user input has to be handled in some way. Easiest is to just list what options the user has and the user chooses a number like:
Code:
You meet a man, what do you want to do?
(1) Talk to him.
(2) Go away.
(3) Pretend you doesn't know him
> 2
You walk away ...

More interestingly is to allow the user to freely choose how to interact with the different objects by freely form sentences.
Code:
> look
You are standing in a room. In the middle of the room there is a table with two chairs. On the wall there is a blue door.
> open the door
The door is locked.
> pick up table
You pick up the table. It's now in your inventory.

In my opinion this is much more fun but it is harder to implement and do well. You have to parse the input string and find out what to do. As you know there is many ways to say something that means the same thing so it's important to handle that, otherwise the user might think he already tried that and not try again with a different word. It's easy to get stuck in this kind of game where you don't know what to do. So things should logical. keeping the number of places you can visit at one time small can be good because it can be quite frustrating if you have no idea where to go in a large world.

Don't repeat the same thing over and over again. The user will probably get bored of locked door if he already opened 10 of them by finding a key already.

Of course you will need a good story but that's up to you.
manlear
Yes, im just doing this to practice my programming basically. Im looking more for ideas such as like title, story line, and cool things that i can do/use/implement in a text based game.
Stubru Freak
Maybe try to include some graphics, that's a lot more fun than text-based games.

Or you could try a classic game like 4 in a row or tic tac toe (easy). Or something more complex like a text-based version of Risk.
raver
Well, to start things off, you are in no way ready for a big text-based game (nothing MMO anyway)
You should try making small games first, like: Hangman, text-version of PacMan (Imagine a map, you are pacman and some random characters who want to eat you. Being text-game, you will make every move for pacman, and on each refresh the characters will move randomly [or not, here you could learn some AI concepts] on the map), dice games (very important as "rolls" take place in most big games) and so on.
Segun3d
manlear wrote:
I am starting a Text Based Game that i will be coding with java. I am needing some idea's if anyone is interested in helpin me out. Thnx a billion.
Razz java games is comforting go head and enjoy the things you like to do with your spare time
Segun3d
manlear wrote:
Evil or Very Mad java can be use for other purpose than good things please watchout for yuorself