FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Legitimate telecommuting jobs?

furtasacra
I am at a loss to understand why there aren't more telecommuting jobs available in the U.S. Honestly, it just doesn't make sense.

Home computers are becoming ubiquitous, and so is high-speed internet access. There are data processing/customer support/sales jobs that can be done away from a traditional office, and there is technology available for instant communication, teleconferencing, remote quality control and call monitoring. A few advantages:

Employers would need less office space, less furniture, less equipment, and have lower utility bills.

Employees would save money on gas, not need a fancy wardrobe, and could still work with a nasty cold and not spread germs to their co-workers.

Also, more telecommuters would mean fewer cars on the road, which means less traffic, less pollution, and less stress for the people who ARE driving to work.

Telecommuting is win-win for everybody, including the environment, so what's the hold-up? When does the revolution begin? Does anybody know anything that can shed some light on this?
AftershockVibe
The biggest problem I can see is communication, however this is more and less of an issue depending on the job of course. Phone conversations or even modern videoconferencing with interactive whiteboards fall far short of just being in the same room with a whiteboard.
azoundria
As one who's personally run a number of online projects, I can say communication is critical. It's different online. It's, how can I say it, flat. Two dimensional. It lacks emotions. You can cause offense and not know it. You can cause anger and pure unspoiled hatred, and think the person on the other end is making a funny joke.

So that's one reason you don't see it too often.

The next is this. It's so easy to do other things while you're at home, things like checking Facebook or reading your personal emails or looking up recipes for dinner, that don't necessarily, let's say, fetch the full value for the employer of what they're paying you. In the workplace, they can monitor what you do, either with camera or with software, in ways that would be just plain unethical or even illegal to do in your home.

That's another reason, and you might think it's minor, but millions, and probably even billions, of dollars are lost in productivity to businesses every year because of time wasted on personal endeavours. And that's with employees still in the workplace, when the problem is known.

And the final reason is that the leadership in most corporations today is still behind the average teenager or young adult in terms of their technical knowledge and understanding, and so less likely to use a technology they don't fully understand when what they have at present gets the job done.
soljarag
I have freelanced for a company for 3 months and "telecommuted"

It was an architecture vizualization company and I did alot of the 3d modeling. They could basically send me pdf's of what needed modeled and I would model them and send the models back

We used msn messenger for comunication and it worked out great.
coolclay
I can see it working for some things but not many. Technology can only do so much. Just like azoundria mentioned communication via technology can be very flat. I hate online messaging like with AIM, SKYPE or whatever else because you can say something and it gets completely taken the wrong way it's dry, and it's cold. For things that are naturally dry and cold it will work great, but anything that requires emotion will suffer greatly.
standready
azoundria wrote:
The next is this. It's so easy to do other things while you're at home.

Though a little harder to do when "boss" is standing over you.
I freelance from home. As an engineer, it can be difficult sometimes to get needed project drawings. Other information is not bad. I usually spend a day in my customer's office gathering information.
deanhills
furtasacra wrote:
I am at a loss to understand why there aren't more telecommuting jobs available in the U.S. Honestly, it just doesn't make sense.

Home computers are becoming ubiquitous, and so is high-speed internet access. There are data processing/customer support/sales jobs that can be done away from a traditional office, and there is technology available for instant communication, teleconferencing, remote quality control and call monitoring. A few advantages:

Employers would need less office space, less furniture, less equipment, and have lower utility bills.

Employees would save money on gas, not need a fancy wardrobe, and could still work with a nasty cold and not spread germs to their co-workers.

Also, more telecommuters would mean fewer cars on the road, which means less traffic, less pollution, and less stress for the people who ARE driving to work.

Telecommuting is win-win for everybody, including the environment, so what's the hold-up? When does the revolution begin? Does anybody know anything that can shed some light on this?
I don't think we will ever be able to get a telecommuting situation that can beat a physical presence at the office. People can easily forget your face and who you are, and then that is quite an easy step before letting you go. I.e. out of sight, out of mind. Especially when it is a large organization.
guggs
In my line of work, freelance software development, there are too many cheap but inexperienced cowboys out there spoiling it for those of us who actually know what we're doing. It has taken me two years to build up a base of clients who trust me enough to send all their relevant work to me without wasting their time sifting through the dozens of unsuitable applicants they'd get if they posted their projects on the various outsourcing websites.
gverutes
While some lines of work are better than others for commuting (i.e. graphic design vs teaching), all that matters is that you build trust with your employer. If you can prove to them that you are just as productive working from home than at the office, then it may work out. Not to mention the savings in gas and time from the commute to and from work.