FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

upgrading a computer

Flakky
Donutey
The AGP slot on hybrid AGP and PCIe motherboards is not always compatible with all AGP video cards. You might want to make sure the existing video card works with it. Why are you getting a hybrid motherboard if you're upgrading the graphics card? Or are you going to upgrade the video card at a later date?

Graphics card and CPU are both lower end, but good value for the money Mr. Green.

You might want to consider getting an AMD based motherboard and CPU. They often have integrated graphics that are strong ( i.e. the 780G chipset) so you might end up spending less on the combined GPU and motherboard cost.
Flakky
Donutey wrote:
The AGP slot on hybrid AGP and PCIe motherboards is not always compatible with all AGP video cards. You might want to make sure the existing video card works with it. Why are you getting a hybrid motherboard if you're upgrading the graphics card? Or are you going to upgrade the video card at a later date?

Graphics card and CPU are both lower end, but good value for the money Mr. Green.

You might want to consider getting an AMD based motherboard and CPU. They often have integrated graphics that are strong ( i.e. the 780G chipset) so you might end up spending less on the combined GPU and motherboard cost.

How kind my girlfriends dad may be, he is not very patient. We've bought the set but it has changed slightly. The CPU is an E5400 instead of a E5300 because the E5300 was end of line. Also the GPU was end of Line so the salesmen adviced an Nvidia GT220, I didn't complain, it's not my money Wink

The reason for the hybrid was because at first I wanted to offer cheap solution which can be modified later on. The new MB has DDR and DDR2 memory and they already had DDR, It has AGP and PCIE and they had an AGP card. I didn't know that hybrid does not support all AGP. I will keep that in mind Smile

Eventually the everything-is-hybrid MB could have been a wrong decision but the computer is working great. It does have little RAM which will be fixed. He's willing to spend more.

Another good thing is that I have all his spare parts. I want to build a new basic computer for little money or no money and sell it online. Maybe buy a new part or two for my own computer Smile

As for the reason I did not pick AMD (same applies to ATI) I have no experience with it. I prefer to buy from Intel and nvidia because I know more about those. This has been my second big assignment, the first was reassembling my own computer from one case to another. This time I could not get aid from a friend who has more experience. I'm still a rookie Wink

thanks Donutey for your reply Smile
soljarag
what is your budget??

If your going to replace the mobo, cpu and graphics card, you might as well just buy a new PC.. you can get a decent one for about $450
Flakky
soljarag wrote:
what is your budget??

If your going to replace the mobo, cpu and graphics card, you might as well just buy a new PC.. you can get a decent one for about $450
He did not want to have a new PC. His budget was if a part would be worth it, he would have purchased it. Smile