FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ron Paul's son follows in his father's footsteps

deanhills
Rand Paul, Ron Paul's son has announced that he would compete for the Kentucky Senate seat that will be vacated by retiring Republican Sen. Jim Bunning next year. What do you think his chances are for being elected to the position?

Quote:
Paul, like his father, is a strict constitutionalist who believes in traditional Republican principles like small government and a free-market approach to the economy. And another thing he has in common with his father: He's also a doctor. Paul has worked as an eye surgeon in Bowling Green, Kentucky, for the past 18 years. He says his being a political outsider should be a plus for voters.

"You need people outside of government. If your primary goal is to continue your career, you tend to do things that are good for you, but not necessarily good for the country," he said.

He's also been a vocal advocate for smaller government and is the chairman of Kentucky Taxpayers United. He says the government needs to stop borrowing money, because "we cannot borrow our way into prosperity."

Paul is expected to compete in the GOP primary next year with Kentucky Secretary of State Trey Grayson. The winner will face either state Attorney General Jack Conway or Lt. Gov. Daniel Mongiardo, who are seeking the Democratic nomination.

Source:http://edition.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/08/06/kentucky.senate.paul/index.html?iref=hpmostpop

ocalhoun
Well, I'm a fan of small government, and also a fan of adhering to the constitution, rather than interpreting it...

Without more information, I'd be willing to support this guy. I wouldn't do so without more thorough investigation though.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Well, I'm a fan of small government, and also a fan of adhering to the constitution, rather than interpreting it...

Without more information, I'd be willing to support this guy. I wouldn't do so without more thorough investigation though.
Right, as one would have to look at his opponents too as they could turn out to be stronger candidates than he is. I would imagine if people did look at him, the fact that his father is so popular would be a recommendation for him and influence votes. Wheter right or wrong. Randy Paul has been outspoken in that his views are less libertarian than his father's, and more Republican. His views are therefore not completely his father's so hopefully people won't vote without thinking and then get disappointed when they realize he is not his father.
gandalfthegrey
Rand Paul will easily take the Republican primary and go on to take the senate seat.
MYP415
gandalfthegrey wrote:
Rand Paul will easily take the Republican primary and go on to take the senate seat.

Let's hope so- it is time to rid of the phony conservatives and to elect the true ones- that is the only way this country will be able to move towards freedom and further prosperity once more.
Afaceinthematrix
Yes! I love having one more non-moron in office. Well, I actually shouldn't say that too soon. I do not know a lot about this guy, but if he's anything like his father (and anything like that little description that I read), then I'll support him. I've personally been hoping for years that Ron Paul would become president over current and past morons that we've had running this country...
MYP415
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Yes! I love having one more non-moron in office. Well, I actually shouldn't say that too soon. I do not know a lot about this guy, but if he's anything like his father (and anything like that little description that I read), then I'll support him. I've personally been hoping for years that Ron Paul would become president over current and past morons that we've had running this country...

Rand is very similar to his father in terms of the issues. He is also very intelligent like his father and coincidentally was also a doctor before deciding to run for office.