FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Poor short term memory?

saratdear
Hi,

This is something which has been bugging me for a long time, and it is irritating. I will be thinking about something (no matter what trivial thing it is : that last movie I saw, the book I want to read, the thing I am going to ask to my friend, etc ) and my attention would be diverted for like 10 seconds and I would lose the chain of what I was thinking. After I get back to it, I will be "What was I thinking about? OMG what WAS I thinking about???!" No matter how much I tell myself that it is okay, people forget things, my mind doesn't relent. For the next few hours I won't be able to concentrate, every 10 minutes I will be "OK what was it? What was the interesting thing? How could I forget such a thing?" like waiting for a missing jigsaw piece.

If anybody has any ideas on how to improve my short term memory or even advice on this, I'd be happy. Smile

Sarat
menino
I've heard that almonds are good for memory - try having them in the morning.

Also for memory improvement, try listing down things as you think of them, for your mind to get used to it.
Crinoid
What you described is serious, in my opinion. Consider to tell this to your doctor. Even if he ignores it, replacing treatment by talk, you did your part. If you will be lucky, there should be treatment for this.

From online resources you may try to check online what is recommended for "attention deficit" and "poor short term memory".

What helped with much, much milder symptoms:
- Good undisturbed uninterrupted sleep, after which you wake up refreshed.
Dark quiet room, 33 db earplugs if necessary, temperature comfortable for you, some fresh air, if you can manage this in a cold climates. Soft comfortable bed and pillow that prevents bending of the neck forward. Some head elevation without bending neck, 20-30 degrees (even IKEA has adjustable mattress supports) may help, especially if there is excessive weight.

- Paleolithic or stone age diet. High protein, healthy fats and fibers in the first part of day, complex carbohydrates in the evening. Less fruits, more non-root vegetables. Eliminate sugar, sweets, white bread and white rice from your diet. No artificial sweeteners too.

- If you have hypoglycemia, do not skip the meals, have constant supply of energy for the brain. No sugar shacks or energy bars (for emergency only). See
previous point, this should help.

- Check if you have food allergy or intolerance, especially to grains, milk products and whatever else you may suspect. Cut use of this group of products for 10 days, than use a good dose at once and see what happens. Innocent as it sounds, solving this problem may help.

- Now, I'm not a doctor, but you may check this on MD's websites:
Multivitamins, and if you are not exposed to sunshine every day, vitamin D3, 1000-2000UI daily. Vitamins of the group B, start with B25, then B50 (this is name on the bottle, means 50 mg of each vitamin), sublingual B12, add Gingko biloba. Last could be replaced by PS (Phosphatidylserine), but one made from soya may or may not work, and this is a blood thinner too, do not use it together with aspirin or gingko.

- Large doses of probiotics (not a single acidophyllus, but a complex of bacterial cultures) to normalize gut microflora. With ripe banana to easier their growth.
At least full dose of omega 3 oils (all kinds, including GLA - evening primrose oil).
Enough of vit C, if you have no problems with internal bleeding. Magnesuim supplements, to balance intracellular Ca-Mg.

You may also check online that to do for a "brain fog", may be it is part of what you have, and it is reversible.
There are several very useful doctor's websites to check correctness of the treatment and the dosage.

Good luck! I hope you will get better soon.
saratdear
Thanks both of you. I will try to follow what you said, but I admit I became scared when you told the condition as "serious" Smile
iyepes
I have periods of time when I suffered the same, they are associated with high dosis of stress and lack of rest. After those conditions end, I recover my short term memory abilities.

Maybe you need more rest, a tired brain can't work the same.

Smile I hope it's something transitory.
crimson_aria
I used to be like that! I don't know what cured me but now my short term memory has improved, I think. I used to be teased about how my memory seems like a gold fish.. if it's true that gold fish memory lasts only a few seconds? hehe. though, now it's the long term memory I'm losing. XD
deanhills
saratdear wrote:
Thanks both of you. I will try to follow what you said, but I admit I became scared when you told the condition as "serious" Smile
If it is serious, there must be millions and millions of people suffering from it Laughing I find exactly the same, and it is irritating to me too. For example, I may decide on something I need to do in the kitchen, and be walking there and when I get there forget what I wanted to fetch or do? Probably because I am not as focussed as I should be and my mind got distracted with something else. Let's hope this could be a sign of a very busy mind.

Crinoid's suggestions are really good ones. I was on a high-protein diet at the beginning of the year, and found after one week my thinking became much sharper and clearer. Good sleep of course also makes a difference and keeping stress levels down. Also making a mental note of what you are thinking about, such as suggested by Crinoid also makes a difference for me. For example if I want to do shopping, I write down a list, when I write down stuff, I seem to remember things much better, to the extent that I don't even have to take the list with me. The act of writing down what I want to remember seems to make it that much sharper in my memory.
programitv
Very interesting comments the ones from Crinoid. I had used for years Magnesium+Vitamin B6, it helps the nervous system, and I was satisfied from the results. Lecithin is recommended as well, I used it once, but didn`t see any big improvements. On myself I get unfocused and forgettish especially on high stress periods.
visualconcepts
saratdear wrote:
Hi,

This is something which has been bugging me for a long time, and it is irritating. I will be thinking about something (no matter what trivial thing it is : that last movie I saw, the book I want to read, the thing I am going to ask to my friend, etc ) and my attention would be diverted for like 10 seconds and I would lose the chain of what I was thinking. After I get back to it, I will be "What was I thinking about? OMG what WAS I thinking about???!" No matter how much I tell myself that it is okay, people forget things, my mind doesn't relent. For the next few hours I won't be able to concentrate, every 10 minutes I will be "OK what was it? What was the interesting thing? How could I forget such a thing?" like waiting for a missing jigsaw piece.

If anybody has any ideas on how to improve my short term memory or even advice on this, I'd be happy. Smile

Sarat

Hi Sarat short term memory loss, or Amnesia. The side effects of amnesia have been divided into the "organic" or the "functional". Organic effects include damage to the brain, through injury, neurological disease or the use of some (generally sedative) (Marijuana, Cocaine, Hasish)drugs. Consult a doctor for the same, he can do some test to determine what type of problem s it, may be he can give a better answer. Well as said my many user's almond is good for memory, but then not in case of amnesia.
jwellsy
There is a vitamin supplement available at GNC called "Focus Formula" it has what Crinoit suggested already in it. I've been told to stay away from "Focus Factor" that gets advertised on TV a lot, that it's just crap marketing hype. But, I know several people that swear by Focus Formula.
bukaida
I regularly take the multivitamin capsules but still suffering from the following two--

I frequently forget where I kept my things.

I am almost hopeless in remembering the names (movies, persons, things etc).

I am 34 yrs old and in teaching profession. I take an average 7 hrs sleep per day.
deanhills
bukaida wrote:
I regularly take the multivitamin capsules but still suffering from the following two--

I frequently forget where I kept my things.

I am almost hopeless in remembering the names (movies, persons, things etc).

I am 34 yrs old and in teaching profession. I take an average 7 hrs sleep per day.
Maybe you need to take a special course in how to remember things. I'm almost certain you can train your mind to remember things by association. For example you can make a focussed attempt of putting your things in fixed places. Like have a special place for hanging keys and discipline yourself to only put your things away where you have made space for them. With movies I would also focus on them, for example what letter does the movie start with, what product is associated with it, etc.
rogue_skydragon
Is short term memory loss connected at all to full-on Alzheimer's?
supernova1987a
I have the same problem. Even long term memory. I have heard that these things help:
sleeping early, waking up early, drinking lots of water, meditating, deep sleep, eating lots of fruits, not staying hungry for long, do not forget to eat something in the morning, exercise, socialize with more people, live an active life
huh, it goes a long way.
ujjawall
Hi Sarat short term memory loss, or Amnesia. The side effects of amnesia have been divided into the "organic" or the "functional". Organic effects include damage to the brain, through injury, neurological disease or the use of some (generally sedative) (Marijuana, Cocaine, Hasish)drugs. Consult a doctor for the same, he can do some test to determine what type of problem s it, may be he can give a better answer. Well as said my many user's almond is good for memory, but then not in case of amnesia.
Bluedoll
Well lets look at this from another perspective. Can there be an advantage to having a poor short term memory? You are thinking about something trivia then suddenly you are deviated away for ten seconds to something else. That something else could be the very thing that might change your life in a positive way. In that case go with your brain to that lovely spot. Of course that will not work if the something that is distracting you is annoying.
deanhills
Bluedoll wrote:
Of course that will not work if the something that is distracting you is annoying.
Good point, like on Frihost for example ..... Razz I like your reasoning however. Why worry about short term memory, relax and enjoy where your mind is at any given time. Think I like that very much. I do go through periods when I forget things short term, usually when I have done a few allnighters, or have been lax with my diet. Or am stressed for some or other reason. I find that when I am relaxed however that everything always pops up when I recall it. So maybe being relaxed and not forcing it has to be a key as well.
saratdear
I didn't think this topic would come up again! Smile

I've learned to live with it. It's not very bad...if I absolutely can't remember what I was thinking about I just ignore it. Another trick I've learned is memory by association. For example I'd be flipping through a magazine, thinking something else along the way. If I forget something, I just flip back the pages till at some page, it suddenly strikes me. The weirdest thing is, it won't be anything related to the magazine! Sort of like the brain snapshots the page I am reading so as to make me remember. Smile I also try saying this over in my mind, like what was I thinking just now, is there anything I'll need to do now, and so on.
krusimax
I think you´re trying to hard to remember and putting to much focus on trying to remember. I have had quite similar experiences in a period with high level of stress and poor sleep as mentioned in this thread. My solution was to exercise and start having routines. Never underestimate the human need for routines and exercise.
Also you sound a little manic in your behaviour when making up your self picture from these experiences and not focus on the things you actually manage.

I think your brain constantly works and never relaxes creating this teflon effect.
Don´t listen to the vitamin-freaks! No vitamin has ever cured anything from a psychological diagnosis.

Try riding bike, worked for me Wink.
Afaceinthematrix
Do as many puzzles and mind-exercises that you can. Your mind is like anything else: if you do not use it, you will lose it. Start playing and studying a lot of chess. Start going back to school and take a lot of math classes. Do crossword puzzles everyday. I think that the best thing that you can is simply work the old brain out as much as you can and you will get it back! I have an incredibly good memory in my opinion and that's because I work the brain!

I've also heard that your diet has some effect over it and I'm sure that holds a little weight so you may want to talk to a nutritionist or consult some good textbooks. I won't add my advice here because I'm not sure what you should be consuming and it's irresponsible to give health advice when you're not an expert...

Also, limit the amount of marijuana you use if you do use it. Nothing affects your short term memory like marijuana. You'll always be forgetful when using it but if you use it to much (I've known many potheads) then it will start affecting you negatively and you will see the effects. I would limit it to maybe once or twice a year.
loyal
Forget pills and herbs and whatnot. Practice makes perfect. If you practice your shortterm memory, it should get stronger. For example, try playing those shortterm memory games where you click on a card then it turns over and you click on another one, and if they match, then they remain up; if not, they return down. Then you need to remember the designs to know what cards to pick so that they will match.

Peace.
saratdear
@Afaceinthematrix - I'm young and I go to school everyday. Smile And no, I don't use marijuana. Thanks for the advice though.

@loyal - For some day know, I've been playing such games. I found a site - Lumosity - which has really cool games for exercising the brain.
Abhishukla
I am also facing same problem, thank you very much for sharing.... Laughing
deanhills
I've had a really strange experience last week, probably due to insufficient sleep. I would forget what I was going to do when I arrived at the point where I had to walk to, and then for a few seconds run through what it could possibly have been that I was supposed to have been doing, and then like magic, almost like delayed action, it just popped up from nowhere. Never had it like that before. Smile