FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

lightest linux

badai
what's the lightest linux that i can install on vmware with as little as 256 RAM?

i don't need gui, just want to install apache, php & mysql on it.
metalfreek
Xubuntu might be helpful for you. More details Here
badai
thanks, i'll let u know if it works.
Fire Boar
For no GUI, xubuntu is overkill. Pick a netinstall debian disk and install just the "Standard system" packages during install, then use

apt-get install php5 apache2 mysql-client mysql-server php5-mysql libapache2-mod-php5

Before you know it, you'll have everything running, just like that. If you add phpmyadmin to that line, then you can control mysql on that machine remotely by browsing to http://192.168.linux.box/phpmyadmin (where 192.168.linux.box is replaced by the IP of the Debian machine) in any web browser on a computer on the same network.
badai
i work on web based system using php and mysql

i know very little about linux, but enough to manually install apache/php/mysql (i need to configure it, that's why i need to install from source).

basically our development sever went down and the guy that is supposed to get it up again just didn't bother cos he got too much on his hands. so i just need to install this "development machine" in vmware on my own laptop. i need to use linux because of the naming of the files and tables (got uppercase, lowercase, some stupid character like colon which won't work on windows)

so, telling me about apt-get install php5 apache2 mysql-client mysql-server php5-mysql libapache2-mod-php5 really won't be any help. as a matter of fact, i'm still struggling with ./configure --whatever ....

so far xubuntu is ok, the gui actually do help, but running vmware does slow down my machine. right now i setting 1G RAM for xubuntu. i have 4G (3G usable according to windows 7) on my machine.

thanks anyway.