FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Topic Redirection

Asap170
Okay like I just make a mistake on not reading what to Suggest in the "Suggestions" forum. So I know on some forums if you click a section a pop-up appears that says, "The Administrator/Site Owner would like you to read "Rules" topic before proceeding. So this way you may have other people actually read the rules... Some people may still not bother, but atleast some people will.
AftershockVibe
I'm pretty sure that all the effort required to implement a popup that didn't annoy regular, clued in and observant users would negate any time saved by the moderation staff.
deanhills
I also broke the rules unintentionally. Kudos to rvec for going to the extra trouble for highlighting the exact rules that have been broken. With the way he did it, he got me to read through all the other "no no"'s in the list as well. I should do that more often.

AftershockVibe wrote:
I'm pretty sure that all the effort required to implement a popup that didn't annoy regular, clued in and observant users would negate any time saved by the moderation staff.
Totally agreed, pop ups are not ideal. Rule No. 3 may cover that as well.
ocalhoun
A concise list of things not to suggest could be added into the upper portion of posting.php only for new topics on the suggestions forum, though.

You'd have to make the list concise,
putting it on the page would be relatively easy,
making it only show up for new topics in the suggestions forum could be done by checking the url: it should only be added in when "mode=newtopic&f=9" is the end of the url.

That way, any time anybody is making a new topic, they get a list of things not to suggest.
(Why not also put in a 'more details' link in the list, which would link to the complete list.)

The only real difficulty would be remembering to update the concise list whenever the main list is updated.
rvec
Maybe something should also be added to not show you the list if you've already seen it before that day. So every time you open the rules topic it should save the time, and when you start a new topic and haven't opened the rules topic in less than 24 hours it will create a pop-up with the contents of the forum. With some hacking in the code this should be quite easy. Only problem is that most users still won't read the rules, unless (as deanhills said) pointed to them by a staff member.

I don't think many more users will read those rules this way. Most that don't will probably just click the popup away and continue their post.
Ghost Rider103
I disagree with the pop-up idea. I personally would dislike it. Anything that pops-up continuously that is taking time away from me getting to where I want to be annoys me.

Unless it was set to only pop-up once on your first visit, then it would be ok. But I don't think it would be worth the time to program something like that, as I don't think it would really increase the rate of people reading the rules.

If there is any need to increase the amount of people reading the forum rules, then I think we just need to better promote it. Make a reminder, and maybe even make the thread global for a few days.

It's a good idea to promote the rules more, I just don't think we need to make a pop-up for it for everybody.

Maybe we could have the pop-up for new users only, if there was a pop-up at all.
Asap170
rvec wrote:
Maybe something should also be added to not show you the list if you've already seen it before that day. So every time you open the rules topic it should save the time, and when you start a new topic and haven't opened the rules topic in less than 24 hours it will create a pop-up with the contents of the forum. With some hacking in the code this should be quite easy. Only problem is that most users still won't read the rules, unless (as deanhills said) pointed to them by a staff member.

I don't think many more users will read those rules this way. Most that don't will probably just click the popup away and continue their post.

Maybe not like 24hours, but a week or something. I know if they popped up I might actually read it....Because it's their, but I know most of the main ones, not the small little ones.