FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows 7 XP mode

k_s_baskar
hi all,
I wish to run some softwares in XP mode . I came to know that Windows 7 can run in xp mode. can somebody tell me procedure to switch from windows7 to win xp mode. Smile
hunnyhiteshseth
Right click on exe file of the program, go to properties. Click on 'compatibility' tab and select 'xp mode'.

Click ok. Now you can run program in 'xp mode'.
k_s_baskar
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
Right click on exe file of the program, go to properties. Click on 'compatibility' tab and select 'xp mode'.

Thanks. But even i can't able to install some software which is working fine in win xp.
hunnyhiteshseth
k_s_baskar wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Thanks. But even i can't able to install some software which is working fine in win xp.

I would suggest if you have more than 2-3 such applications, then instead of relying on 'XP Mode' go for a virtualization software like "Innotec VirtualBox'/'Sun VirtualBox' or Microsoft's Virtual PC.

Both are freeware.
Diablosblizz
I think he is talking about the visualization through Windows 7 to literally emulate Windows 7 (via Virtual PC). Unfortunately, your computer must SUPPORT it (not the OS, the hardware) before you can use it.

What program isn't installing?
k_s_baskar
Diablosblizz wrote:
What program isn't installing?

Thanks for your reply. I am using ODIN Diet for Trading in Stock market which is not working or even i can't able to install in windows 7 . Smile
Diablosblizz
I've never heard of that, nor can I find relivent information on system requirements. So, here are your options.

1. Give the "Run as" option a try again, play around with the settings. No harm done.
2. If your computer can handle if, give a virtual machine a try. As hunnyhiteshseth said, try VirtualBox or VirtualPC (both free) and use your Windows XP disk to install on a Virtual Machine.
3. Find an older computer and put Windows XP on it and use it for that software.
4. Downgrade your computer to Windows XP.

Honestly, I don't understand why the program isn't working. By any chance do you know of it's workings on Windows Vista? If it works on Vista then it should run on Windows 7.
k_s_baskar
Diablosblizz wrote:
Honestly, I don't understand why the program isn't working. By any chance do you know of it's workings on Windows Vista? If it works on Vista then it should run on Windows 7.

No, the program is woking fine in windows xp, but not working in windows vista. It shows that a particular file is incompatible with vista.
Diablosblizz
It's odd that the program runs incorrectly even when in "Compatibility mode." I'm not sure, maybe contact whoever makes the program.
mOrpheuS
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
I would suggest if you have more than 2-3 such applications, then instead of relying on 'XP Mode' go for a virtualization software like "Innotec VirtualBox'/'Sun VirtualBox' or Microsoft's Virtual PC.

For programs that wouldn't otherwise run on Windows 7 - XP mode is the best way, in my opinion.

XP mode will allow your virtualized applications to seamlessly access your host filesystem and other resources.

What advantage(s) do Virtualbox etc. offer over XP mode, in this specific case ?
PureReborn
If you have Windows 7 Professional (or above so Ultimate/Enterprise) then you can use the "included" virtual XP mode. Its not really included since you have to download and install it yourself. Just google windows 7 XP mode and you should find the link from MS.

Please make sure you CPU supports VT though.

It is just a virtual XP computer within your Windows 7. You install the application within the XP machine and run it in there too. Unless your computer is powerful (RAM is very important) the application wont run very well. Gaming is pretty much out but other stuff should be fine.