FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Meditation: favourite hobby

peaceupnorth
I have found meditation to be the healthiest habit I've ever gotten into...

It simplifies life, it is refreshing and helps one deal with the stress and anxieties of everyday living.

It opens up some beautiful and profound perspectives on existence = what are we, why are we here, where are we going. Important issues that can often get neglected.

But I have to struggle to keep it a constant part of my day. It can often be neglected in the hustle and bustle of life, and the business of my cluttered mind. This is even after several years of practicing, and understanding practically how beneficial it can be!

Are there any other people out there who practise a daily meditation? Do you also find it hard to stick with at times?
deanhills
I would love to learn to meditate. Problem is that I either fall asleep or just can't get into it even when I know it has to have benefits in the longer term. If you have any tips of how to get into it, and stay with it, this will be much appreciated.
ocalhoun
peaceupnorth wrote:
Do you also find it hard to stick with at times?

Why 'stick with it' at all? I just use it when I feel like it, and don't use it when I don't want to.
crimson_aria
that's nice. I wish I could make meditation a habit too. I do it sometimes but not everyday. It's relaxing.
wellerchap
I'd love to know more, but fell in my house I'd struggle to get the absolute solitude you (probably) need.
I like the thought of being able to shut stuff out, if only for half an hour or so.
I often say the ideal house for me would be up on top of a mountain, about 5 miles from the nearest people!
Bielhelm
Best thing a get new energy from the mental and physical systems of our body,
or celestrial body. It can be more easier then you know but more powerful also.

try the eggetsberger lessons. sorry only german i think..
http://www1.ipn.at/down/eggetsberger-power.pdf
peaceupnorth
wellerchap wrote:
I'd love to know more, but fell in my house I'd struggle to get the absolute solitude you (probably) need.
I like the thought of being able to shut stuff out, if only for half an hour or so.
I often say the ideal house for me would be up on top of a mountain, about 5 miles from the nearest people!

Regarding your issue, check out this story, brother.

ocalhoun wrote:
Why 'stick with it' at all? I just use it when I feel like it, and don't use it when I don't want to.

To me, meditation is a form of self-improvement. It is also self-maintenance, self-cleaning. If I don't stick with it and make it a daily practice, the benefits are less. It is like doing a little tidying every day so that the mess doesn't pile up. And sometimes I don't feel like sitting at first, but after, I'm glad I did.

Anything a person sticks to and does every day is pretty powerful, whether it is exercising, writing poems, playing music, or meditation. It will impact one's life a great deal. It is like the story of the Tortoise and the Hare. The Tortoise had greater stamina, and was diligent, so he won the race over the speedy but lazy Hare.
azoundria
I agree meditation is an amazing tool. Most people never relax, and meditation is 10 times as effective.

5 minutes of meditation = 15 minute walk = 30 minutes of TV = 2 hours of video games.

As for how to make it regular, work it into your routine. Get up 30 minutes earlier each morning to meditate. Or end each day with it. Or do it before/after lunch. But pick something and stick with it.

You're not going to be able to control every day. That's a fact. Control what you can, and let the rest take care of itself. And most of all, relax. That's what meditation is all about.
guggs
Sorry, I mis-read the title - I thought it said masturbation, in which case I was very interested.
Arty
What is meditation anyway? Is it just clearing the mind of all thoughts or does it involve focusing heavly on a thought?
ocalhoun
Arty wrote:
What is meditation anyway? Is it just clearing the mind of all thoughts or does it involve focusing heavly on a thought?

There are many varieties, some focus on anything, some encourage you to imagine yourself in a different place, some put a big emphasis on what it is you focus on, some have a specific routine, some are scientifically based on a pattern that will do specific things to the brain, and some will ask you to completely clear your mind (though that is extremely difficult).

(And, of course, most of those varieties will have proponents that tell you all the other varieties are worthless compared to the right one...)
Crinoid
...And you have to live in quiet place Laughing
pmehta51
Meditation is great habit. I have also got in to doing it regularly, al least trying to do it regularly for last two weeks. And has definitely increase my focusing ability. Also helped me making batter judgment, boosting my self confidence. And also made me feel that I can be a good person. There are lots of benefits of meditation. Definitely there are physical benefits, as well as mental benefits. But I think for the best benefits I get is spiritual benefits. I feel like a great person, someone how would be like by god.
It depends on how you want to meditate, what are you focusing on. It could be idol or just nothing. But It does help. Definitely a great habit!!!.