FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

CGI cutscenes vs anime cutscenes

Anime vs CGI
Anime
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
CGI
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

ovg8
This has been a debate that has puzzled me for some time and its a battle between CGI cut scenes and anime cut scenes. Though CGI movies are great and all, I kinda like the classic look of anime cut scenes. Plus, anime cut scenes are much easier to create causing less stress for the creators of the game. They are also simple, and I think are more appealing to the eye. However, most people I know don't like anime cut scenes, and prefer CGI. So I want to know which you agree with and why.
QrafTee
It's much harder to fail at an anime cutscene, but if a CGI cutscene is done really well, I'd take it over the anime cutscene in video games--unless the entire game is anime-esque to begin with.
Magicman
It really depends what kind of game you are talking about. If the game is in 3D already, then anime seems completely out of place. The cutscenes should fit the style of the games artwork. That being said, I always prefer CGI cutscenes to anime.
pscompanies
It highly depends on the game itself. For example, I don't really think the anime-cutscene style of GTA: Chinatown Wars goes well with the game feel. But some people's opinion may differ..
Nameless
Magicman wrote:
It really depends what kind of game you are talking about. If the game is in 3D already, then anime seems completely out of place. The cutscenes should fit the style of the games artwork.

This. Consistency of the graphics is obviously more important than which style is used; unless there was some particular affect you were going for, a change for any short part of the game is just going to be jarring and distract from the content. Now as for the whole game, I'd usually prefer stylish anime graphics to gritty realistic ones; hyper realism may be technologically impressive, but it's ultimately little more exciting than any given live action TV show ... although you could argue it helps focus attention on the cutscene contents rather than medium itself and aids immersion in general.

Okami's cutscenes > Twilight Princess's cutscenes, is all I'm saying.
cozziekuns
CGI cutscenes look pretty classy, but I kinda like the classic look of anime cutscenes. And sometimes CGI cutscenes can create graphic problems. Like in Advent Children (i know this isn't a game but its CGI), you could see people running through each other.
Agent ME
Anime cutscenes? Maybe I haven't played the widest range of games (mainly shooters) but I've never heard of a game with anime for cutscenes. I actually thought this topic must have been in the wrong forum or something until I read a few replies to it.
Nameless
The 'Tales of' series uses anime cutscenes. Presumably most games with anime graphics use the same style in any cutscenes, so ...
PureReborn
I think the tales and persona series really pulled off the Anime cut scene style great. It fits the theme and look of the games. While Mirror's edge's comic like cut scene really ruined the atmosphere.

But I think most games now just use ingame engine to do cut scenes...lazy developers.
Final Fantasy still goes crazy on the CG cut scenes and those always looks great.
Nameless
PureReborn wrote:
But I think most games now just use ingame engine to do cut scenes...lazy developers.

Why is that a bad thing? Using a seperate engine for cutscenes can be jarring in the same way as switching styles in jarring, whereas showing the same characters doing whatever in the game engine flows much better (and is far less likely to call attention to its limitations). In any case, wouldn't you rather the graphic designers spent their time improving the quality of the game engine you'll be seeing most of the time rather than a shiny cutscene that's over in sixty seconds?