FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

speed up your windows

Meit
To speed up your windows or to increase RAM virtually
Right click on My Computer
>> Properties
>> Advanced
>> Performance - Settings
>> Advanced
>> Virtual Memory - Change
Keep the initial size same as recommended and maximum size double of it then restart your system.
It will improve speed of windows and you can play some games which require higher RAM.
Cliffer
oh,really? that would be better.i'll try it.
hunnyhiteshseth
No, it wont. Infact doing this, may infact decrease speed if pagefile gets fragmented due to increase in size.
madara
You might not wanna try what Meit said. To increase startup speed and loading of the desktop, remove some icons you dont often use upon startup. Also, you can try to manually open programs such as messenger so that the computer loads faster. As for performance... you might wanna buy some new hardware
babarus
i think that this is not a solution! for example if you make this changes you will be able to play the game but the game play condition will be the same.
ForceRun
If you really want to speed up your system here are somethings that will actually help:

Reinstall your OS if you have been running it over a year. Windows has the biggest problem of the OS at keeping it's system clean and it degrades over time, from normal use, installing programs, and such. If you are running Windows XP or Vista give Windows 7 a try, the base install is very streamlined. Once you have a fresh install only install the programs that you need. The more you install programs the more your system is modified and that can led to problems.

Consider a hardware upgrade: Run some simple benchmarking software and see how you current hardware handles the type of programs or games that you run. I like SiSoftware's Sandra http://www.sisoftware.net/ , which has some extramly useful tools to help you understand and make the most of your hardware. For example If you notice your over all system is slow, but your processor and graphic's card are fine, check your hard drive benchmarks. Last year I replace my old 7200 RPM 320GB WD IDE Hard drive for a new 10,000RPM WD Velociraptor Sata 2 Drive and was amazed at the results. It was like getting a brand new system. Windows 7 boots under 30 secs, all my programs launch almost instantly (not itunes though), I'm always first loaded in any game, and browsing the hard drive is super fast. Consider investing in a new hard drive if you have a Sata 2 capable system, as it is the number one upgrade to get more speed out of your system currently. Then you have the normal upgrade such as RAM and so on, heck Ram is so cheap right now most people can max out their RAM for under $50.

Try alternative software for your main apps: Sure we all want the most powerful, biggest, heavy featured software to run on our systems. But if you want a little more speed in your system or just to have your programs launch faster try this. Find some program that match the core features of your most used apps and give them a try to find new programs that do just what you need without all the bloat that you don't. http://alternativeto.net/ is a great site that has alternative to some of the programs that you might be using. For example for the longest time I used Adobe Acrobat Reader for my PDF viewing. It is slow to launch, has a bunch of features I have never used, and always wants to upgrade huge files before it will let me view the pdf that I want. So I found Foxit reader. A small, light weigh, free pdf reader. It has a good amount of features, but is a tenth of the size of adobe, and lets me read my pdfs within secs of me clicking on them. Which over time has made the hassle of reading pdfs into a smooth fast experience.

Here is my personal list of alternative software:
Foxit reader replaces Adobe Acrobat Reader
Firefox or Chrome replaces Internet Exploder
VLC replace Windows Media Player
NotePad++ sometimes replaces Microsoft word
Jzip replace WinZip or other UnZipping programs
Microsoft Security Essentials replace and large security suite that slows down the system.
ImgBurn replaces CD/DVD burning software.

A few other things to consider to speed up your system:
Overclocking - Easy to do free speed, just do a bit of research first.
Turn off unused stuff - Any feature or service that you never use. ie Hard drive indexing
Update Drivers - Go to the manufacture's site and Download the latest drivers
welshsteve
In my experience, it doesn't matter what you do within MS Windows. Defrag, temp files and temp internet files deletion, registry clean, registry defrag etc etc etc, once you have had a MS Windows PC for about a year, it will run like a dog unless you never install much software on it. Sometimes the only way to speed it up, is the wipe the machine and start again.

My Windows Vista macchine run like lightening just a few months ago. I've barely used it, yet since isntalling the service pack recently, it now takes an age to startup and runs so slow at times.

It's frustrating to say the least.
deanhills
I find that after a while I can't defrag my disk any more, nor "delete files" in the Properties of Windows Explorer. The only way that really works is to every 18 months or so to completely reformat my hard drive and start from scratch. I however did not realize that my operating system could be responsible for this.
snowboardalliance
deanhills wrote:
I however did not realize that my operating system could be responsible for this.

What else would it be?

Anyway, I haven't ever bothered with the full reinstall but it's very true that Windows systems get bogged down over time. It does help to use better defrag software like jkdefrag
ForceRun
When you run a defragment program for your hard drive that has no impact on your OS. Fragmentation is an old problem dealing with how your hard drives write information on the phyisical drive. As the 1's and 0's that are your data are written out of order and not in the same phyisical location on the hard drive platters. So over time if you drive is nearly full and has not been deframented for a long time the computer will run a little slow when trying to acess files.

You system on the other hand, as new programs and drivers are installed the base OS files and registry are changed and modifed leading to the system slowing down and crashing.
shkhanal
Increasing virtual memory to increase performance of windows will hardly satisfy anybody.

If you format your system drive and reinstall everything again, might make you feel better that too is just for few weeks.
weableandbob
Virtual memory is painfully slow. If your computer needs it regularly, I suggest putting in a bit more RAM.
Flarkis
This is a VERY bad suggestion on how to make your computer faster. I would honestly be surprised if it worked, and in the case that it does in means you are seriously short on physical ram. The best option would be to go out and buy your self some more ram or switch to programs that don't have as large of a ram footprint.
guggs
welshsteve wrote:
My Windows Vista macchine run like lightening just a few months ago.

Ah, so YOU are the one ! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
welshsteve
guggs wrote:
welshsteve wrote:
My Windows Vista macchine run like lightening just a few months ago.

Ah, so YOU are the one ! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

LOL it's tough relying on windows