FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sleeping can lose weight?

Cliffer
i saw an article before,it says that sleeping can lose weight,but i don't remember this article source,any one knows it? i want to read it again.
bsbteng
At the annual meeting of the Associated Professional Sleep Societies today, Dr. Walter Moraes of Universidad Federal Sao Paolo, Brazil, presented the findings from a study he recently conducted which demonstrated that people lose weight three times as fast while asleep than while lying in bed awake. Dr. Moraes studied 14 healthy men age 21-30, confining them to a bed with a built in scale which allowed him to constantly monitor their weight. The subjects spent the night in bed asleep, and then remained in bed for the next 8 hours, awake. They were given food and drink proportionate to their body weight and, according to the poster, did not urinate or defecate during the study. Dr. Moraes found that the average weight loss during sleep was 1.9 gram/minute (or ¼ pound an hour), but only 0.6 gram/minute while lying in bed awake.

Much has been made recently of the connection between insufficient sleep and weight gain, and this has been explained by changes in the hormones which govern hunger and satiety, leptin and ghrelin. However, this study presents a tantalizing new possibility: that one's metabolism is increased during sleep, leading to more calories burned, and weight loss.
Why would this be? It seems so very counter intuitive at first glance. After all, while sleeping, we seem to be doing less than at any other point in our waking lives. And yet, there are a number of possible explanations. The brain, which comprises only 2% of the body's weight, is responsible for 20% of the body's total energy consumption. We know that in rapid eye sleep (REM), in which we spend roughly 25% of our total sleep time, the brain's metabolic rate (the rate at which it consumes energy) is very high, even more than while awake. And while one's body temperature drops while sleeping, during REM it increases, and this too may cause increased caloric expenditure (as one person discussing this study commented, "it's like a furnace switching on and off across the night").

So it may indeed be that a combination of changes in the hormones leptin and ghrelin, as well as the increased brain metabolism in REM (which is mostly concentrated in the last half to third of the night, so that not getting enough sleep could also result in less time in REM), are what cause us to lose more weight while asleep than awake.

Finally, we know when the best time of day to weigh one's self is, especially when trying to lose weight.
Cliffer
bsbteng wrote:
At the annual meeting of the Associated Professional Sleep Societies today, Dr. Walter Moraes of Universidad Federal Sao Paolo, Brazil, presented the findings from a study he recently conducted which demonstrated that people lose weight three times as fast while asleep than while lying in bed awake. Dr. Moraes studied 14 healthy men age 21-30, confining them to a bed with a built in scale which allowed him to constantly monitor their weight. The subjects spent the night in bed asleep, and then remained in bed for the next 8 hours, awake. They were given food and drink proportionate to their body weight and, according to the poster, did not urinate or defecate during the study. Dr. Moraes found that the average weight loss during sleep was 1.9 gram/minute (or ¼ pound an hour), but only 0.6 gram/minute while lying in bed awake.

Much has been made recently of the connection between insufficient sleep and weight gain, and this has been explained by changes in the hormones which govern hunger and satiety, leptin and ghrelin. However, this study presents a tantalizing new possibility: that one's metabolism is increased during sleep, leading to more calories burned, and weight loss.
Why would this be? It seems so very counter intuitive at first glance. After all, while sleeping, we seem to be doing less than at any other point in our waking lives. And yet, there are a number of possible explanations. The brain, which comprises only 2% of the body's weight, is responsible for 20% of the body's total energy consumption. We know that in rapid eye sleep (REM), in which we spend roughly 25% of our total sleep time, the brain's metabolic rate (the rate at which it consumes energy) is very high, even more than while awake. And while one's body temperature drops while sleeping, during REM it increases, and this too may cause increased caloric expenditure (as one person discussing this study commented, "it's like a furnace switching on and off across the night").

So it may indeed be that a combination of changes in the hormones leptin and ghrelin, as well as the increased brain metabolism in REM (which is mostly concentrated in the last half to third of the night, so that not getting enough sleep could also result in less time in REM), are what cause us to lose more weight while asleep than awake.

Finally, we know when the best time of day to weigh one's self is, especially when trying to lose weight.

oh yes,it's i'm looking for. .thank you!
ted1986
well, I really thinner when I am in colledge. You know the school time, I sleep a lot, but now work, work makes me fat.
rayz0r
Well there you go. Now I have something to say when I sleep in over the weekends/holidays.

I suppose getting up and doing some excercise would be better...
mikakiev
A new study found a link between sleep and weight. Study participants who were so-called short sleepers (meaning they got less than six hours per night) tended to have on average a higher body mass index, or BMI, than long sleepers.

The small study, presented at the American Thoracic Society’s International Conference in San Diego, was conducted with 14 nurses at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. Nurses received counseling on nutrition, exercise, stress management, and sleep improvement through the program.

The participants wore armbands that measured total activity, body temperature, body position, and other indicators of rest and activity.

The average BMI for short sleepers was 28.3. That compares to an average BMI of 24.5 for long sleepers. The BMI range for normal weight is considered to be 18.5-24.9 and for overweight 25.0-29.9. BMI is calculated from a person's weight and height and is an indicator of body fat.

Surprisingly, the overweight participants were significantly more active than their normal-weight peers. The overweight participants took an average of 13,896 steps per day, compared to 11,292 for normal-weight participants. The overweight participants also burned nearly 1,000 more calories per day on average than their normal-weight peers.
TiffxMaggot
Hmmmm my brother sleeps 12 hours a night and hes still "obese". So im not exactly sure how that all works.
Greatking
hmm this is all great info on wieght loss. i guess what works for a person is what must be done. if sleep can help in losing weight hey then it can be tried otherwise an active life doesn't do damage either. exercise and watch the food intake.
babarus
From my point of view this method have no chance. ..... Try before to do sport ....
bloodrider
ahahah xD i believe it... but if you want to get thiner balanced diet combined with exercise is the ONLY way... only dieting won't work... not for long,
RubySlasher
This is why I dedicate my weekends to sleeping in.

toasterintheoven
yeah, also depends on when you sleep, sleeping at night is healthier for you
deanhills
I'm convinced that if one does not sleep regular hours, or sleep too many hours, that the body chemistry and machinery will slow down. The hormones will become out of sync, the body will be getting mixed messages, so energy levels would go down, the person would feel lazy and sluggish, want to sleep more, or sit in front of TV and have something more to eat. Whereas if there is some routine of regular hours sleep, and the body is rested in the morning, it would burn calories much more efficiently. Also if one is productive in getting plenty of exercise outside in the fresh air, and exercise that the person really enjoys and has fun with, I'm sure it would be much easier to lose excess weight. I know many obese people who have difficulty with sleeping at night, and it gets into a vicious circle. The person can't sleep, so keeps on raiding the fridge, and when the person wakes up in a "drugged" state, needs plenty of caffeine to wake up and lots of sugar to rev up. Night eating can be a disease as well as part of food addiction.

I find some people at work who are bored in general or use every break for an opportunity to eat as it is usually social, like a trip down to Starbucks etc and very little exercise to work the calories off. So yes, I can see that going to work could be a challenge for weight. Then probably it could be a good idea to snuggle in and spend a day in bed fasting. Done like this every so often, could be energizing.
D'Artagnan
Well, i've read that drinking a glass of milk per day helps losing weight, in the end i think the only way is just burning more calories then you eat.
toasterintheoven
sleeping is necessary for losing weight, when fasting for instance, a lot of sleeping is required as that's when you do the most of your detox
jackjose
The subjects spent the night in bed asleep, and stayed in bed for the next 8 hours awake. All this is a great information about weight loss. I like to appreciate you, these are such a great knowledge.
macky
yes, think more time for sleeping makes a person thinner than before... when i was working before i

gain more weight even if i walk on a mile i think... it serve as my exercise but then when i was at the

office i try to eat a lot because i got tried on walking... Laughing
Rupert
Too much sleeping is the cause of over weight and different type of diseases. We must sleep 7-8 hours at night. It is also recommended by the good doctors.