FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


History of Frihost.





coreymanshack
How did frihost get where it is today?
I browsed the wayback machine and it seems that there were 2 users online in april 29, 2005, and the most ever logged in was 20... registered users were ~421

From this time frame, till dec 31, 2005... There were 9281 users registered, that's an increase of nearly 8750 users, most users ever logged in was 55, and the number logged in was 26.

In less than one year frihost got there, in the end of august there were only 2779 registered users it almost seems like an exponential growth.

Why I ask-
I've started a website that gives out free domains for posting on forums.... the perfect compliment to a free hosting service that requires you post on their forums. I'm having a really hard time getting people to register and even want to try for a free domain. These are TLD's and not some subdomain. It's going to be more difficult to fund than hosting because they all cost a flat rate to register, in hosting people usually use less rescources than allocated for them so you can 'oversell'.

I remember a website called geek domain, it was doing well until the administrator sold the website to someone, and it went downhill. I wish I could talk to him "zalaki" or something like that. But for now I'm going to ask "you the people" of frihost for your opinions.
truespeed
I think frihosts became instantly popular because back when it started,most free hosts were covered in ads,and didn't have the ability to install scripts using databases. They were basically just file manager type free hosts,and few gave away more than 20mb of space. So for frihost to offer no ads,unlimited databases with 250mb of space,it was a no brainer really as to why it became successful. Also paid hosting at that time wasn't as cheap as it is now.

I think to start up a post to host service similar to this one now would be very difficult,not just because there are already a few around,but because hosting is so cheap.

This could be the reason why your finding it difficult to get members,as top level domains are very cheap now,you can get a .com for as little as 10 dollars.
coreymanshack
truespeed wrote:
I think frihosts became instantly popular because back when it started,most free hosts were covered in ads,and didn't have the ability to install scripts using databases. They were basically just file manager type free hosts,and few gave away more than 20mb of space. So for frihost to offer no ads,unlimited databases with 250mb of space,it was a no brainer really as to why it became successful. Also paid hosting at that time wasn't as cheap as it is now.

I think to start up a post to host service similar to this one now would be very difficult,not just because there are already a few around,but because hosting is so cheap.

This could be the reason why your finding it difficult to get members,as top level domains are very cheap now,you can get a .com for as little as 10 dollars.


They have always been that price Smile
Cliffer
hope frihost keep better longer and longer......
tony
truespeed wrote:
I think frihosts became instantly popular because back when it started,most free hosts were covered in ads,and didn't have the ability to install scripts using databases. They were basically just file manager type free hosts,and few gave away more than 20mb of space. So for frihost to offer no ads,unlimited databases with 250mb of space,it was a no brainer really as to why it became successful. Also paid hosting at that time wasn't as cheap as it is now.

I think to start up a post to host service similar to this one now would be very difficult,not just because there are already a few around,but because hosting is so cheap.

This could be the reason why your finding it difficult to get members,as top level domains are very cheap now,you can get a .com for as little as 10 dollars.


Everything you mentioned is certainly why I chose frihost. Long live frihost!!
rajpk
Nice
frihost long live

hopefully is will become a better than now forum & hosting

Very Happy
deanhills
coreymanshack wrote:
How did frihost get where it is today?
I browsed the wayback machine and it seems that there were 2 users online in april 29, 2005, and the most ever logged in was 20... registered users were ~421

From this time frame, till dec 31, 2005... There were 9281 users registered, that's an increase of nearly 8750 users, most users ever logged in was 55, and the number logged in was 26.

In less than one year frihost got there, in the end of august there were only 2779 registered users it almost seems like an exponential growth.
Would be nice if Steve could do up a history in a number of instalments as I'm sure he must have many stories to tell. Maybe it could be part of the 1-million postings lead-up. Frihost must be one of the few survivors of the Free Webhosting services that started in 2005. I think a lot of it has to do with not going for the "big bang" or "big promises" approach, but a steady growth with sober-minded management over a long period of time.
missdixy
I wish I could help you but all I can really think about is how people may not think much about having to pay $10/yr for a domain and so aren't too interested in free ones.

I would be, though Razz
jabce85
VIVA LE FRIHOST!
snowboardalliance
deanhills wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
How did frihost get where it is today?
I browsed the wayback machine and it seems that there were 2 users online in april 29, 2005, and the most ever logged in was 20... registered users were ~421

From this time frame, till dec 31, 2005... There were 9281 users registered, that's an increase of nearly 8750 users, most users ever logged in was 55, and the number logged in was 26.

In less than one year frihost got there, in the end of august there were only 2779 registered users it almost seems like an exponential growth.
Would be nice if Steve could do up a history in a number of instalments as I'm sure he must have many stories to tell. Maybe it could be part of the 1-million postings lead-up. Frihost must be one of the few survivors of the Free Webhosting services that started in 2005. I think a lot of it has to do with not going for the "big bang" or "big promises" approach, but a steady growth with sober-minded management over a long period of time.


I knew of/used a few free hosts that were great around 2004. Then they all shut down/switched to pay hosts, etc. That's when I found Frihost. So I would put the years more in the 2004-2005 range, but who knows the real history of the free web hosts
Arty
I think it's because frihost is so dependable.

What makes it so much more dependable than the other hosts anyway? Does it make a lot of money from the forums or are the servers just that great?
Bondings
The registered users might not be a good measure. A lot of the registered users never posted or never even confirmed their email accounts. Also, the ones that don't confirm their accounts, were sometimes removed in the past, causing quite some differences in the registered member numbers.

About free domains, the problem is the initial huge requirement to the user. Asking users to make 5 posts for hosting is already a huge turn-away. To ask users to post a few hundred posts before they get a free domain name is rather hard and even then it would cause a lot of poor posts and spam.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that there is a huge demand for it. Sure 10$/year isn't that much for a working adult in the USA who has a credit card. However, children/minors/students and people from less wealthy nations or simply without a credit card (or who don't dare to use it on the internet) do not have any other options to get a top level domain name.

If it wouldn't have been for those difficulties, I would already be giving away free domains here for quite a while. I'm still searching for a good way to do it, other than through competitions.
Ghost900
Web Hosting is easier to pull off also because a new user makes five posts and he/she has instant gratification with about a week of web hosting while a domain host you may have to make 100 or so posts to get the domain name for a year so it could take some time.
coreymanshack
Bondings wrote:
The registered users might not be a good measure. A lot of the registered users never posted or never even confirmed their email accounts. Also, the ones that don't confirm their accounts, were sometimes removed in the past, causing quite some differences in the registered member numbers.

About free domains, the problem is the initial huge requirement to the user. Asking users to make 5 posts for hosting is already a huge turn-away. To ask users to post a few hundred posts before they get a free domain name is rather hard and even then it would cause a lot of poor posts and spam.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that there is a huge demand for it. Sure 10$/year isn't that much for a working adult in the USA who has a credit card. However, children/minors/students and people from less wealthy nations or simply without a credit card (or who don't dare to use it on the internet) do not have any other options to get a top level domain name.

If it wouldn't have been for those difficulties, I would already be giving away free domains here for quite a while. I'm still searching for a good way to do it, other than through competitions.


Well my only problem is getting up in generic search results on google now. I have a small community there that are actually willing to make a few hundred posts, and one guy did it in ~3-4 days. Although he was borderlining spam and I had to delete some of his posts, merge some, and remove some of his points for his violations. I've given away one free domain already and I'm about to be giving away another as soon as google sends in my check. It's certainly not a gold mine yet, but when I get higher than page 15 for keywords "absolutely free domain names" things will get better.

What I don't understand is how I'm already on page one-two of UK yahoo search, but I can't even find my site on US yahoo search.

Certainly as time goes along I'll think of a better way to give away domains for free, and in the future I plan on getting a reseller account with a bigger registrar and having it so they can use my name-servers and all for free.

One idea I've already came up with, is for people that get discouraged for a couple hundred posts to get a domain, is to offer a subdomain for like 10 posts, this will get them more interested I think.
(I need to implement this today)

As far as frihost goes, where did you advertise to start with to get your user-base?
Surely people were skeptical when they first landed on your site (I know I was). What are the advantages/disadvantages of using the points system to award, or posts count to award. They both seem to promote spam to me.

Oh another question, how much does it cost you to colo one of your servers in your current datacenter. How many units tall is your server? Smile I hope that's not confidential, because I'm interested in knowing your startup investment (ya know before the website actually started making money)
ocalhoun
Bondings wrote:

If it wouldn't have been for those difficulties, I would already be giving away free domains here for quite a while. I'm still searching for a good way to do it, other than through competitions.

Add a third kind of 'currency' that can be exchanged for domains? (And which gives very little per post, or requires a lot of it to get a domain.)

That would actually give hosted users reason to post more than once every few days. They'll already have a hosting account, but if they post more, they could get a domain, too.
coreymanshack
ocalhoun wrote:

Add a third kind of 'currency' that can be exchanged for domains? (And which gives very little per post, or requires a lot of it to get a domain.)

That would actually give hosted users reason to post more than once every few days. They'll already have a hosting account, but if they post more, they could get a domain, too.


I think he was saying he wanted to find a different way to give users domains other than posting, though I'm not quite sure. But why would there need to be another currency anyway, not like the one in place is being used for anything.

But if frihost did start giving away free domain names I'd be kinda pissed since I put a lot of time into my website.
deanhills
coreymanshack wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Add a third kind of 'currency' that can be exchanged for domains? (And which gives very little per post, or requires a lot of it to get a domain.)

That would actually give hosted users reason to post more than once every few days. They'll already have a hosting account, but if they post more, they could get a domain, too.


I think he was saying he wanted to find a different way to give users domains other than posting, though I'm not quite sure. But why would there need to be another currency anyway, not like the one in place is being used for anything.
I understood that too from Steve's posting. Was an interesting posting and already "news/history" of a kind. I like this thread.

Free domains would probably add something, although I wonder whether it would also bring some headaches in the enquiries that are sure to follow when they have to be renewed. Especially by people who are not that familiar with how domains work. I once came across a Free Website provider who is linked to a free domain provider, so that if you started with the Free Website provider there is a link to the free domain provider. It works reciprocal so that when the Website is directed to the new domain name, it happens almost instantly and all of it under your control. They must have been set up uniquely as all of it worked almost intuitively. Both are commercial, as the free domain provider is of the kind that gives free domains, but also charges for certain names that are very popular, then after a year charges for the free domain. The Free Website provider was also commercial in that it had three types of packages: A Beginner one like at Frihost, then the next two with double or triple the size, that are paid Websites that can be upgraded to from the Beginner.
truespeed
Bondings wrote:


About free domains, the problem is the initial huge requirement to the user. Asking users to make 5 posts for hosting is already a huge turn-away. To ask users to post a few hundred posts before they get a free domain name is rather hard and even then it would cause a lot of poor posts and spam.

.


That's a good point,if when i first came here i was told i had to make over 100+ posts just to get hosting,i wouldn't of bothered,i doubt many others would either.


coreymanshack wrote:

One idea I've already came up with, is for people that get discouraged for a couple hundred posts to get a domain, is to offer a subdomain for like 10 posts, this will get them more interested I think.
(I need to implement this today)


A good idea,if the subdomain comes with hosting.

coreymanshack wrote:

I've given away one free domain already and I'm about to be giving away another as soon as google sends in my check.


Do people only get domains when you get paid by google? And if there are more people requesting domains with the required points than you have money off google to meet the demand, what happens then?
Bondings
deanhills wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Add a third kind of 'currency' that can be exchanged for domains? (And which gives very little per post, or requires a lot of it to get a domain.)

That would actually give hosted users reason to post more than once every few days. They'll already have a hosting account, but if they post more, they could get a domain, too.


I think he was saying he wanted to find a different way to give users domains other than posting, though I'm not quite sure. But why would there need to be another currency anyway, not like the one in place is being used for anything.
I understood that too from Steve's posting. Was an interesting posting and already "news/history" of a kind. I like this thread.

Free domains would probably add something, although I wonder whether it would also bring some headaches in the enquiries that are sure to follow when they have to be renewed. Especially by people who are not that familiar with how domains work. I once came across a Free Website provider who is linked to a free domain provider, so that if you started with the Free Website provider there is a link to the free domain provider. It works reciprocal so that when the Website is directed to the new domain name, it happens almost instantly and all of it under your control. They must have been set up uniquely as all of it worked almost intuitively. Both are commercial, as the free domain provider is of the kind that gives free domains, but also charges for certain names that are very popular, then after a year charges for the free domain. The Free Website provider was also commercial in that it had three types of packages: A Beginner one like at Frihost, then the next two with double or triple the size, that are paid Websites that can be upgraded to from the Beginner.

It's not really that I want to give a different way for people to get a domain name for free, it's that new users won't be attracted by a few hundred posts for a domain name. Of course for existing members this might be different.

Secondly, you make a good point about the "after one year" issue. If I start giving away free domains, then I suppose most people will make a nice website for it and actually really need that domain for longer than 1 year. And since a lot of them won't have the means to pay for it after one year, I'll be pretty much required to continue providing them with the ability to renew their domains for at least a few years. So I only want to start a thing like this when I'm rather confident that I'll be able to continue to provide this for say at least 3-5 years for the people who already have a free domain (stopping for new users is not that much of an issue).

By the way, with free domain, I mean a one-year registration or renewal. Providing one forever is of course not possible.

The easiest way to do it is probably to give away free domains with competitions. New users can as easily win it as others, while there is no need for a lot of posts up front. Competitions like the best answer to a question, the most interesting new topic, the most posts in a certain forum during a few days (although this needs a few extra conditions for quality of posts I guess), artistic competitions like photoshop an image or writing a story, referring the most members to Frihost, ...

What seems the most interesting one to me, is that I give some topics/issues/problems and each participant chooses one of them (everyone a different one) and writes a detailed post about it. The best one (I guess finding a good way to determine the best one is the hardest part) wins a free domain. I can already think about a few topics that some members here would write very passionately about. Wink

Besides the competitions a "sure" way to get a free domain will also be needed. It would require a lot of posts and the problem is here how to combine it with the current points and frih$ system.
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
The easiest way to do it is probably to give away free domains with competitions. New users can as easily win it as others, while there is no need for a lot of posts up front. Competitions like the best answer to a question, the most interesting new topic, the most posts in a certain forum during a few days (although this needs a few extra conditions for quality of posts I guess), artistic competitions like photoshop an image or writing a story, referring the most members to Frihost, ...
Now this REALLY sounds great. All the suggestions you gave for competitions are right on.

This suggestion is particularly awesome, it tops all of them:
Bondings wrote:
What seems the most interesting one to me, is that I give some topics/issues/problems and each participant chooses one of them (everyone a different one) and writes a detailed post about it. The best one (I guess finding a good way to determine the best one is the hardest part) wins a free domain. I can already think about a few topics that some members here would write very passionately about. Wink


Bondings wrote:
Besides the competitions a "sure" way to get a free domain will also be needed. It would require a lot of posts and the problem is here how to combine it with the current points and frih$ system.
Agreed. It will create a lot of headaches, better to keep things simple. The above is far more interesting, and will generate a lot of postings and will be really fun.
coreymanshack
I feel my post was just scanned and not read over @ Bondings. So here is what I wrote again.

Quote:
As far as frihost goes, where did you advertise to start with to get your user-base?
Surely people were skeptical when they first landed on your site (I know I was). What are the advantages/disadvantages of using the points system to award, or posts count to award. They both seem to promote spam to me.

Oh another question, how much does it cost you to colo one of your servers in your current datacenter. How many units tall is your server? Smile I hope that's not confidential, because I'm interested in knowing your startup investment (ya know before the website actually started making money)
Bondings
coreymanshack wrote:
I feel my post was just scanned and not read over @ Bondings. So here is what I wrote again.

Quote:
As far as frihost goes, where did you advertise to start with to get your user-base?
Surely people were skeptical when they first landed on your site (I know I was). What are the advantages/disadvantages of using the points system to award, or posts count to award. They both seem to promote spam to me.

Oh another question, how much does it cost you to colo one of your servers in your current datacenter. How many units tall is your server? Smile I hope that's not confidential, because I'm interested in knowing your startup investment (ya know before the website actually started making money)

Sorry, it wasn't about not reading it, I simply didn't respond to it yet.

Advertising is best done at sites/directories about the topic itself. In your case it's probably free hosting/free domain forums and blogs. About sceptical people, the more members/posts you have, the easier it is. About spam, that's hard, moderators help a lot with that.

About the cost, I am not colocating, simply renting dedicated servers and a VPS. Prices vary a lot, it depends on what you want. The best way would be to go to WebHostingTalk (big forums about web hosting) and check the server and VPS providers there.
coreymanshack
Bondings wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
I feel my post was just scanned and not read over @ Bondings. So here is what I wrote again.

Quote:
As far as frihost goes, where did you advertise to start with to get your user-base?
Surely people were skeptical when they first landed on your site (I know I was). What are the advantages/disadvantages of using the points system to award, or posts count to award. They both seem to promote spam to me.

Oh another question, how much does it cost you to colo one of your servers in your current datacenter. How many units tall is your server? Smile I hope that's not confidential, because I'm interested in knowing your startup investment (ya know before the website actually started making money)

Sorry, it wasn't about not reading it, I simply didn't respond to it yet.

Advertising is best done at sites/directories about the topic itself. In your case it's probably free hosting/free domain forums and blogs. About sceptical people, the more members/posts you have, the easier it is. About spam, that's hard, moderators help a lot with that.

About the cost, I am not colocating, simply renting dedicated servers and a VPS. Prices vary a lot, it depends on what you want. The best way would be to go to WebHostingTalk (big forums about web hosting) and check the server and VPS providers there.


Oh so you didn't even have to pay for your cpanel or directadmin liscense Smile

What are some advantages of using VPS instead of owning and managing your own servers? Are these managed VPS?
mOrpheuS
coreymanshack wrote:
Oh so you didn't even have to pay for your cpanel or directadmin liscense Smile

What are some advantages of using VPS instead of owning and managing your own servers? Are these managed VPS?

But you do have to pay for cPanel/DirectAdmin even on a rented dedicated or VPS. It just might be so that the price is included in your monthly charges, but it certainly is not free.

A VPS is cheaper than a dedicated server with similar hardware. A managed server (dedicated or VPS) comes with a support SLA - at a premium, of course.
coreymanshack
mOrpheuS wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
Oh so you didn't even have to pay for your cpanel or directadmin liscense Smile

What are some advantages of using VPS instead of owning and managing your own servers? Are these managed VPS?

But you do have to pay for cPanel/DirectAdmin even on a rented dedicated or VPS. It just might be so that the price is included in your monthly charges, but it certainly is not free.

A VPS is cheaper than a dedicated server with similar hardware. A managed server (dedicated or VPS) comes with a support SLA - at a premium, of course.


yea thats what i meant Smile
Donutey
ha, I guess I'm a pretty old user...
the-guide
Long Live Frihost...

CHEER!

Early, Merry Christmas and Have the Happy New Year To All. Very Happy
Vrythramax
Donutey wrote:
ha, I guess I'm a pretty old user...


Yep...your an OG Smile

Just for the record, my 4th anniversary here at Frihost is just a couple of weeks away Very Happy
ankitdatashn
Bondings wrote:
The registered users might not be a good measure. A lot of the registered users never posted or never even confirmed their email accounts. Also, the ones that don't confirm their accounts, were sometimes removed in the past, causing quite some differences in the registered member numbers.

About free domains, the problem is the initial huge requirement to the user. Asking users to make 5 posts for hosting is already a huge turn-away. To ask users to post a few hundred posts before they get a free domain name is rather hard and even then it would cause a lot of poor posts and spam.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that there is a huge demand for it. Sure 10$/year isn't that much for a working adult in the USA who has a credit card. However, children/minors/students and people from less wealthy nations or simply without a credit card (or who don't dare to use it on the internet) do not have any other options to get a top level domain name.

If it wouldn't have been for those difficulties, I would already be giving away free domains here for quite a while. I'm still searching for a good way to do it, other than through competitions.


Wow, If that happens it can be soo good!, and I didn't know uptill now that domains were given free in competitions!

Anyhow as I always say, long live Frihost!, u're my saviour!
wombatrpgs
Sounds like an interesting site idea. I might be signing up.
goutha
Cliffer wrote:
hope frihost keep better longer and longer......


All depends on us. Frihost does not exist without its rich community. Then we have to continue our efforts in order to this excellent service to continue...
wombatrpgs
Well, I think as long as the service exists people will stick around. If things start looking down, enforcing the points thing would always help.
Bluedoll
goutha wrote:
Cliffer wrote:
hope frihost keep better longer and longer......


All depends on us. Frihost does not exist without its rich community. Then we have to continue our efforts in order to this excellent service to continue...


I agree any board regardless of its purpose or service needs a rich community and to properly managed.
Related topics
I cant enter Frihost and my web site from home
The Third Age of FriHost
Collection of the most memorable quotes by FriHost members:)
May I know the history of frihost?
Scott Breaths Life Into Frihost: 2 Effed Up News Stories!
~ FriHost Redesign Project ~
Frihost PowerCube Lotto *Mod Approved & Acclaimed*
History In A Nutshell
Frihost PowerCube Lotto Returns
The Offical Frihost Hall of Fame
History of Frihost
The best entry in the history competition?
Frihost number of posts ....
Earthquake?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.