FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which is the best Brand of Beer you think in your country?

Cliffer
Which is the best Brand of Beer you think in your country? and could you tell us something more about it,such as its location,history,factory,story......
joostvane
For Belgium it would probably be Westvleteren 12. Sources are wikipedia pages and from my own knowledge.

Westvleteren 12, brewed in the Trappist Abbey of Saint Sixtus in a town called Westvleteren. It has been voted to be one of the best beers in the world by some voting sites across the globe.

The abbey started producing beer in the year 1838, and currently has 3 types of beers, of wich Westvleteren 12 rank number 1.

Besides the abbey of Westvleteren, there are only 7 other trappist breweries that are allowed to label their bottles with the Authentic Trappist Product logo. Six of them are located in Belgium, and one in The Netherlands.

The beers must be produced under these criteria:
Quote:

* The beer must be brewed within the walls of a Trappist abbey, by or under control of Trappist monks.
* The brewery, the choices of brewing, and the commercial orientations must obviously depend on the monastic community.
* The economic purpose of the brewery must be directed toward assistance and not toward financial profit.

The production of Westvleteren 12 is limited. There are immense demands for the beer, but the abbey announced that they have no intention of producing more. The quantity of beer you get is limited (they check the license plate of your car when you arrive at the abbey. you can only go once each X time, I don't know the exact number)

There are only 2 official selling points. The abbey itself, and the abbey-owned 'In de Vrede' (literal translation: 'in the peace'), wich is located very close to the abbey.

Buyers of beer get a note with 'Niet verder verkopen' (Dutch for "Do not resell"), because the abbey insist that the beer only keeps being available at the 2 official selling points. However, the beer can be found on the internet, for much more money than the official price. The first hit in google gave me $35 for buying one bottle on the grey market in Toronto.

Westvleteren
Cliffer
joostvane wrote:
For Belgium it would probably be Westvleteren 12. Sources are wikipedia pages and from my own knowledge.

Westvleteren 12, brewed in the Trappist Abbey of Saint Sixtus in a town called Westvleteren. It has been voted to be one of the best beers in the world by some voting sites across the globe.

The abbey started producing beer in the year 1838, and currently has 3 types of beers, of wich Westvleteren 12 rank number 1.

Besides the abbey of Westvleteren, there are only 7 other trappist breweries that are allowed to label their bottles with the Authentic Trappist Product logo. Six of them are located in Belgium, and one in The Netherlands.

The beers must be produced under these criteria:
Quote:

* The beer must be brewed within the walls of a Trappist abbey, by or under control of Trappist monks.
* The brewery, the choices of brewing, and the commercial orientations must obviously depend on the monastic community.
* The economic purpose of the brewery must be directed toward assistance and not toward financial profit.

The production of Westvleteren 12 is limited. There are immense demands for the beer, but the abbey announced that they have no intention of producing more. The quantity of beer you get is limited (they check the license plate of your car when you arrive at the abbey. you can only go once each X time, I don't know the exact number)

There are only 2 official selling points. The abbey itself, and the abbey-owned 'In de Vrede' (literal translation: 'in the peace'), wich is located very close to the abbey.

Buyers of beer get a note with 'Niet verder verkopen' (Dutch for "Do not resell"), because the abbey insist that the beer only keeps being available at the 2 official selling points. However, the beer can be found on the internet, for much more money than the official price. The first hit in google gave me $35 for buying one bottle on the grey market in Toronto.

Westvleteren

wow! sounds very good! hoping i can drink it some day!
wellerchap
In England we have a long tradition of "real ales"....modern bars seem only to serve the gassy, mass-processed stuff now that seems to keep all our town centres full of drunken yobs at the weekends.
My favourite Real Ale is Theakston's Old Peculiar...a dark, strong beer, brewed in North Yorkshire.
5.6% strength...strong for an English beer.
http://www.theakstons.co.uk/ales/classics/oldpeculier.html
Bielhelm
The only one in good ole munich. If youre around try to get a chair in the famous
Wirtshaus "Augustiner Bräustüberl" nearby Hacker Brigde in munich. Its cheap
its origin. And its munich from the heart
Best beer in munich is: Augustiner!!!

http://www.augustiner-braeu.de/deverabfrage.html
NO ADVERTISE I PROMISE ITS OUR BEST! Shocked
ponda
Which is the best Brand of Beer you think in your country? and could you tell us something more about it,such as its location,history,factory,story......
---------------------------------

Medalla by far!! Maybe Corona too but that is mexican i think...
Cerveceria India was founded in 1937 by Alfonso, Sabino and Ramon Valdes Cobian in Mayagüez, the largest city on the west coast of Puerto Rico. The Valdes brothers were following the example of their father, Don Ramon Valdes, who founded the Mayaguez Light, Power and Ice Company in 1910. In 1938, their first beer, Cerveza India, was released to the public. During most of the 20th century, their main competition had been Cerveza Corona (not related to the Mexican beer of the same name). The brewery also produces Malta India, a non-alcoholic soft drink made from barley. In 1940, it began producing Orange Crush and Old Colony sodas. It is one of two breweries in Puerto Rico.

In October 2009, the brewery changed its name back to "Cervezera de Puerto Rico".
Voodoocat
You are all so lucky! Here in America I would go with Ommegang Brewery in New York. Its actually the American branch of Duvel. I live their Three Philosophers and Chocolate Indugence Stout.

I've brewed two batches of a Chocolate Indugence Stout clonebrew with excellent results.
wellerchap
Voodoocat wrote:
You are all so lucky! Here in America I would go with Ommegang Brewery in New York. Its actually the American branch of Duvel. I live their Three Philosophers and Chocolate Indugence Stout.

I've brewed two batches of a Chocolate Indugence Stout clonebrew with excellent results.

Stout's a very dark, heavy beer.....what are the differences between it and, say, "normal" beers?
What are it's main ingredients?
Voodoocat
Stouts are typically brewed from medium to dark roasted malt which gives stouts their dark color and a full bodied taste- anywhere from a carmel flavor to actually tasting like coffee or unsweetened chocolate. Stouts can also have a higher alcohol content than lighter beers, somewhere around 6 and 8%. I also think they "feel" heavier and are much more filling than a lighter beer such as a pilsner. To me, pilsners taste light and fizzy after drinking stouts.
venividivici
qingdao beer...
andysart380
im from america so my choice of whats made here...miller...and top pick still Heineken
paul_indo
All the beer in Indonesia is crap. If you want real beer you must buy imported beer, but that is very expensive.

The beer I usually drink is called Bintang, which means star. Bali Hai is also not bad.
guggs
Ah, Old Peculier - indeed a superb drink. As a real ale lover I also like

(Fullers) London Pride, which my local pub serves
Ruddles County, not so easy to find these days
Youngs Special, a lighter beer but still excellent.

I'm also partial to a good cider, such as Thatchers Katy or Westons Special Reserve. Do NOT serve either with ice, or I will personally come round and shove the bottle where the sun don't shine - sideways !!!
[/list]
shkhanal
In Nepal its San Miguel.
      Though Tuborg, Iceberg, Star and some more too are popular but the best one is San Miguel.
Marcuzzo
andysart380 wrote:
im from america so my choice of whats made here...miller...and top pick still Heineken

dear god...

Heiniken is like dishwatter compared to jupiler. I prefer even stella artois over heiniken.
and they also serve it in a small glass.

my top 10.

1. WestVleteren 12
2. Westmalle tripple
3. Duvel (By Moortgat)
4. Terdolen(which is brewed not far from my house)
5. Tauro (by Jupiler)
6. Vedett (By Moortgat)
7. Jupiler
8. Jupiler
9. jupiler
10. jupiler

no offence but...beerwise, we Belgians kick ass.

the rest is crap Laughing
just kidding Razz
Ankhanu
Marcuzzo wrote:

no offence but...beerwise, we Belgians kick ass.

You speak some truth Wink
deanhills
I went through a beer drinking phase during my student days, however am more of a whiskey person. When I had beer, I was not strong on brand, anything would do including beer on tap. I did like Amstel Lager though, which is made by Heineken and originated in Amsterdam, Holland. The brewery was founded in 1870, and then in 1972 after it was bought by Heineken in 1968, the brewery in Amsterdam was closed and moved to Zoeterwoude.
Quote:
Heineken offers several beers under the Amstel brand. Amstel Lager uses predominantly light pilsner malt, although some dark malt is also used. It is sold in 75 countries. Amstel Light is a 3.5% abv pale lager. Amstel 1870 is a slightly dark 5% abv lager. In France a beer called Amstel Free, with minimal alcohol content - about one per cent ABV, is produced. A non-alcoholic version can also be purchased in The Netherlands.

Source: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amstel_(beer)]Wikipedia[/url]
pampoon
Well I live in the US, the deep south to be exact, and beer is supposedly our water around here. However, the choices we have are limited. Though our favorites are the American Miller, Budweiser, and Coors I tend to prefer Abita beer. It's sorta expensive, but the price is worth it. It blows those other "gassy, mass-produced stuff" out of the water.

The main brewery is somewhere in Louisiana, US. Not sure exactly where, but I think it's up north. And I guess I can throw in a nice picture:

deanhills
pampoon wrote:
Well I live in the US, the deep south to be exact, and beer is supposedly our water around here. However, the choices we have are limited. Though our favorites are the American Miller, Budweiser, and Coors I tend to prefer Abita beer. It's sorta expensive, but the price is worth it. It blows those other "gassy, mass-produced stuff" out of the water.

The main brewery is somewhere in Louisiana, US. Not sure exactly where, but I think it's up north. And I guess I can throw in a nice picture:

What does it taste like? You have me very curious when you say that it is not gassy, as that is specifically what puts me off most beers in the first place. Where would one be able to purchase Abita beer in the States, is it limited to where you are?
pampoon
@deanhills
As for taste, it's pretty much the same as other beers but without the bitterness. What makes it great is the water they use and the process in which they brew it. Unlike Bud and Coors, their goal is not to mass-produce the product. And about where you can get it, it should be available in your local store. I'm not sure if it is shipped internationally, but it definitely is in other states.
deanhills
pampoon wrote:
@deanhills
As for taste, it's pretty much the same as other beers but without the bitterness. What makes it great is the water they use and the process in which they brew it. Unlike Bud and Coors, their goal is not to mass-produce the product. And about where you can get it, it should be available in your local store. I'm not sure if it is shipped internationally, but it definitely is in other states.
I guess the name Abita beer must be a mockery of a pinta beer? I'm quite taken with this. Next opportunity I will go for it. Smile
pampoon
deanhills wrote:
I guess the name Abita beer must be a mockery of a pinta beer? I'm quite taken with this. Next opportunity I will go for it. Smile

Never heard of Pinta beer, but the name Abita comes from the town it was originally brewed in (Abita Springs, LA). But definitely try it if you get the chance, it's worth the few extra dollars.
Marcuzzo
a small joke...

The 3 directors of Maes, Heiniken and Jupiler take the train everyday to get to work.
One day the train was delayed and the 3 decided to get a drink, ending up in a bar where they served over 100 kinds of beers.

when they got to the bar, the director of Maes says:"bartender, 3 maeskes please".
When they finish their glases, the director of Heiniken says:"excuse me bartender, could you please serve us 3 heinikens".
When these glases are finished, it's up to the director of Jupiler to order the next round, and he says..... "bartender, 3 heinikens please".

the director of Maes and Heiniken can't believe what they are hearing and ask:"why are you, the director of jupiler, ordering Heiniken?", the director of Jupiler answers, while looking at his watch,:"it is to early to be drinking beer at this time of the day".... Laughing
gandalfthegrey
I personally like the beers you get from local mircobreweries, rather then prominent national brands like Budweiser or Coors.
Cliffer
gandalfthegrey wrote:
I personally like the beers you get from local mircobreweries, rather then prominent national brands like Budweiser or Coors.

oh.i know Budweiser there's a branch factory in China,but the taste must be not as good as its original.
Cliffer
wow you men post so many brands of beer on here, most of them i never heard,i hope some day i can drink them,one by one.

in china,Tsingtao is the most famouse,but i felt Yanjing and Harbin beer more better. i often drink Yanjing and Zhujiang,but zhujiang is just ok.
deanhills
gandalfthegrey wrote:
Right. Ditto wine. Some of the wines that come from micro wineries can be real winners, much less in cost and greater in taste. This is a long time ago, but I seem to recall in South Africa that there was quite a variety of beers from microbreweries, especially malted beers. Some of them tasted really great, although I must say they were very filling as well. My beer drinking phase was rather short-livid however. I'm not that much of a wine drinker either, unless it is a fantastic wine. I'm more of a whiskey drinker these days, Red Label, Black Label, Bells or White Horse with plenty of ice and a little bit of water or club soda.
Marcuzzo
deanhills wrote:
gandalfthegrey wrote:
Right. Ditto wine. Some of the wines that come from micro wineries can be real winners, much less in cost and greater in taste. This is a long time ago, but I seem to recall in South Africa that there was quite a variety of beers from microbreweries, especially malted beers. Some of them tasted really great, although I must say they were very filling as well. My beer drinking phase was rather short-livid however. I'm not that much of a wine drinker either, unless it is a fantastic wine. I'm more of a whiskey drinker these days, Red Label, Black Label, Bells or White Horse with plenty of ice and a little bit of water or club soda.

Johnny walker and white horse are blends and I'm more of a single malt guy.
unless it is jack daniels single barrel or something.
I usualy only water down cask strength bottles and I've never used ice.
most of the times I drink Bushmills 16 or 21.
deanhills
Marcuzzo wrote:
Johnny walker and white horse are blends and I'm more of a single malt guy.
unless it is jack daniels single barrel or something.
I usualy only water down cask strength bottles and I've never used ice.
most of the times I drink Bushmills 16 or 21.
You sound like an expert. I know this has to be a very ignorant question, but what does a blend mean? I thought whisky was whisky? Also, if you say single malt, which labels would be single malt?
Voodoocat
Quote:
I thought whisky was whisky?

GASP! Such heresy! Most scotch is blended. The purpose of blending scotch is to mix different malt and grain scotches to produce a product that is superior to the sum of its parts. Obviously some distillers are much beter than others: Johnny Walker, Chivas, and Cutty Sark are well known examples of very tasty blended scotches.

Next, the glamor of the single malt. These scotches are not blended- all of the flavor comes from fermenting one malt. When this is done well it is amazing! While blending can cover up defects, a single malt must always stand on its own.

As with everything, it is your individual taste that counts. You should try a few of each and decide for yourself.

If you are looking for a tasty brew- try Fat Tire's 1554 Enlightened Black Ale. A very heavy, malty treat for a cold winter night.

http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/1554
jabce85
Yuengling!
nigam
here's in our country it's San Miguel Beer, San Mig Light, Red Horse. I think i am giving them a free advertisements with this post.
Voodoocat
Yuengling is supposed to release their bock early February. I am a big fan of their black and tan, and am really looking forward to trying their bock!
Schyllic
Here in the US, I enjoy Sam Adams Boston Lager. Had one tonight in fact Cool

Cheers