FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

One domain pointing to multiple accounts?..

dan751
I was just wondering. If I have one account here, and an account hosted elsewhere, would I be able to have my domain name point to both accounts? Or could it cause problems/errors?
Bondings
dan751 wrote:
I was just wondering. If I have one account here, and an account hosted elsewhere, would I be able to have my domain name point to both accounts? Or could it cause problems/errors?

That's not possible, I think. I didn't really understand what you were thinking to do. I mean, if you type yourdomain.com, you go to two different websites?
dan751
Going to two different sites, well, kind of. Not that I'm going to.
Senario: I have mydomain.com with the primary and secondary name servers set to Frihost's, the auxilary name servers point elsewhere. If Frihost went down for say an hour, and during that hour someone typed in mydomain.com, would it first look for Frihost, fail to find it and head over to the other account?

But like I said, I'm going to, I'm simply wondering.
Bondings
dan751 wrote:
Going to two different sites, well, kind of. Not that I'm going to.
Senario: I have mydomain.com with the primary and secondary name servers set to Frihost's, the auxilary name servers point elsewhere. If Frihost went down for say an hour, and during that hour someone typed in mydomain.com, would it first look for Frihost, fail to find it and head over to the other account?

But like I said, I'm going to, I'm simply wondering.

You should have eplained this in your first post, at least now I understand what you mean.

Having a website on several servers to be sure you can always reach it, is possible. If it would be that easy to achieve, I really don't know as I never tried it.

You could try it out with a parked domain on this server. Nameserver 1 pointing to this server, nameserver 2 pointing to the other server. Then remove the parked domain and see if you get your website on the other server. (to make it easier put a different page on it)

Or wait for daniel15. He seems to know a lot of these kind of things.
Daniel15
If you put nameservers other than Frihost's for your domain, then people visiting your domain will randomly switch between the servers. This is because whenever someone goes to your site, the registrar's DNS randomly chooses one of the DNS entries and returns it.

For example, look at the DNS lookup for my site on Frihost: http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?name=stickboarder.uni.cc&type=A
If you refresh it a few times, you will see for every DNS lookup performed, ns1.frihost.net or ns2.frihost.net is returned, in a random order. So, if you add more DNS servers to your domain, and someone goes to your site, they will either get ns1.frihost.net, ns2.frihost.net or your other servers.

However, SOME registrars allow you to give priotities for some DNS entries. If you're lucky and your registrar's DNS allows you to set priorities, just set your Frihost DNS servers to a higher priority.

Quote:
Or wait for daniel15. He seems to know a lot of these kind of things.

It's just something you pick up after being with so many hosts (which have all died). Also, I'm doing the Cisco CCNA 1+2 (networking course) this year
dan751
Thanks Bondings and daniel15.Smile My curiosity regarding this matter has been brought to a satisfying end.Smile
yupeng
U can consider use a subdomain name .
Before it your will need to do some work in your domain name server
gonzo
search terms:

round robin DNS