FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Chrome OS (ChromiumOS 4.0.253.0)

dantechen

Chrome OS (ChromiumOS 4.0.253.0) | 732MB
Chromium OS - starting a project that seeks to build an operating system that provides quick, easy and more secure computing experience for people who spend most of their time working in the networks of Internet

The main feature of Chrome OS is the dominant Web-applications over conventional functions of the OS. A key role is given to the browser. The strategy involves creating a new product architecture, low system hardware resources of personal computers used to access the Internet. The tendency of the shift from the user's PC to Internet resources can be traced and many other Google products and corresponds to the ideology of "cloud computing" (born Cloud computing).

Google says that the main features of the new OS in terms of end users will be:
* Speed: downloads, access the Internet, receive e-mail, etc.
* Integration with Internet services;
* Reliability;
* Ensuring security in the automatic mode;
* Simplicity.
Fire Boar
This, incidentally, won't be ready for public use for at least another year.

Though Google have released a lot of information about Chrome: it is based on Linux, as most people expected, and is also very much tied to the hardware. Check out http://www.chromium.org/ for more.
coreymanshack
Fire Boar wrote:
This, incidentally, won't be ready for public use for at least another year.

Though Google have released a lot of information about Chrome: it is based on Linux, as most people expected, and is also very much tied to the hardware. Check out http://www.chromium.org/ for more.

dang that thing about chromium os is misleading, it says i can download the latest distros <here> but i go there and i see no distro downloads.
Fire Boar
That's because there aren't any: the Chromium project uses Git and currently there have been no snapshot releases. If you really want to try it out, you need to clone the git repository with gclient, build the sources yourself and create an image. It's all on chromium.org.
Diablosblizz
I've found it, it's nothing overwhelming. Just the browser basically with all the Google services built into the browser. Nothing special, nothing I'm looking forward to. Oh, and that screen shot basically sums up the whole OS.
SonLight
It is very early in the development cycle of chromium OS. If you want to learn how to develop software and are very patient, building and testing it might be a good place to start. You can begin the process by going to:

http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/building-chromium-os

where you will find out it can currently be built only on fairly recent versions of Ubuntu Linux systems.

At present the development is in an alpha stage, which means highly preliminary testing and is not for the faint of heart. You will not be producing a usable product if you build and test it, but you will be able to get a good preview of how the system will eventually work and greatly increase your knowledge of software development.
Cliffer
Chrome OS is safer and more steady than winXP? and safer for online payment?
Jean-Clod
Basically, it's a Linux distro, so no spyware/viruses/crapware; and Google did a lot of work making it's browser very secure, and by secure I mean sandboxing each tab, etc.. They presented everything in the Live webcast last thursday
So yes, nothing more secure (approx.). Even MacOS has viruses!
Donutey
It's a little bit underwhelming as an OS. I don't like that all your data is kept in 'the cloud' (in this case, mostly in google's servers).
Diablosblizz
Donutey wrote:
It's a little bit underwhelming as an OS. I don't like that all your data is kept in 'the cloud' (in this case, mostly in google's servers).

I don't really like that either, but it is a good idea. Think about it, Google's servers will probably never EVER go down. If a hard drive crashes, they've got backups of backups. Normal users don't have backups at all (I am one of them) so it's a good idea in a few ways.
coreymanshack
Diablosblizz wrote:
Donutey wrote:

I don't really like that either, but it is a good idea. Think about it, Google's servers will probably never EVER go down. If a hard drive crashes, they've got backups of backups. Normal users don't have backups at all (I am one of them) so it's a good idea in a few ways.

Really good idea for personal computing.
amperx
interesting, although its still in the alpha stages, im looking forward to other features it may offer to us, overall its good.
Diablosblizz
Dell has released an experimental version of ChromeOS to work with their Dell Mini 10v. They just altered the code to get it to work correctly. Funny thing is, it's not illegal cause the OS is opened source.
jabce85
I just saw a coworker run this on his laptop the other day. It's incredibly fast to say the least. Apparently he got it from someone who compiled an early version..... no, I can't get it for you, sorry.
Animal
If you're interested in trying it out on your own computer, this site gives you instructions on creating a bootable USB flash drive with Chrome running on it.

For the less adventurous, I believe you can download images for Virtualbox and VMware if you want to try to run Chrome as a virtual machine.
Diablosblizz
For those who don't want to compile:

http://gdgt.com/google/chrome-os/download/

It is a VMWare image file, although it might be possible to extract that data somehow.
Fire Boar
Diablosblizz wrote:
For those who don't want to compile:

http://gdgt.com/google/chrome-os/download/

It is a VMWare image file, although it might be possible to extract that data somehow.

dd onto external storage should do the trick. Thanks for the link - I might just give it a look.

EDIT: Scratch that, it requires registration.
shenyl
Looking at the snap shots

Some sites have given snapshots of the running Chrome OS, and after reviewing them, I really think it is not meant to be an OS contender, but rather more like an embedded OS for netbook.

It is good that Google comes up with this OS, but really no challenge for MS and Linux.

Personally, I will only try it if I am so bored wit nothing else to do, and try it out on my loaded netbook.

With regards.
nam_siddharth
Jean-Clod wrote:
Basically, it's a Linux distro, so no spyware/viruses/crapware; and Google did a lot of work making it's browser very secure, and by secure I mean sandboxing each tab, etc.. They presented everything in the Live webcast last thursday

A Browser which do not even have a page setup or print preview.
Diablosblizz
Fire Boar wrote:
dd onto external storage should do the trick. Thanks for the link - I might just give it a look.

EDIT: Scratch that, it requires registration.

It's just registration on their site, I haven't received any email from them if that is what you're worried about. If your still worried, try a disposible email address such as the ones at http://10minutemail.com/10MinuteMail/index.html.

Give a google for more if you'd wish.
Jean-Clod
nam_siddharth wrote:
A Browser which do not even have a page setup or print preview.

I don't know if it even prints Laughing I don't wan't to say stupid or wrong (or both) things, so I'll stay silent until we know something about that Razz
aningbo
Code:
[img]http://www.livbit.com/article/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/chrome-os-1.jpg[/img]

Chrome OS (ChromiumOS 4.0.253.0) | 732MB
Chromium OS - starting a project that seeks to build an operating system that provides quick, easy and more secure computing experience for people who spend most of their time working in the networks of Internet

The main feature of Chrome OS is the dominant Web-applications over conventional functions of the OS. A key role is given to the browser. The strategy involves creating a new product architecture, low system hardware resources of personal computers used to access the Internet. The tendency of the shift from the user's PC to Internet resources can be traced and many other Google products and corresponds to the ideology of "cloud computing" (born Cloud computing).

Google says that the main features of the new OS in terms of end users will be:
* Speed: downloads, access the Internet, receive e-mail, etc.
* Integration with Internet services;
* Reliability;
* Ensuring security in the automatic mode;
* Simplicity.

i wonder whats' the speed like? google chrome? anyone tested it yet?
Agent ME
Jean-Clod wrote:

Does it even have a system to install new (non-Google) software? If not, then it's a good deal more "secure" than other operating systems because witless users can't just go about installing every trojaned virus scanner and screen saver they find in a pop-up ad.
Jean-Clod
Exactly.
(But when I'm saying "nothing more secure", I actually compare ChromeOS to other Linux distros, not vulnerable to trojans & such)
loyal
Hmm, so Chrome is just mainly a browser so far and based off ubuntu/linux. Hmm, nothing special. So much for all the hype.
But i suppose it might be useful if you want to just browse the net for a bit, and do nothing else. the system would probably be very quick, and if on a laptop, last much longer (since there's not alot of stuff on it). Edit: in terms of battery
snowboardalliance
I don't understand cloud computing still. I mean, there are times when you want to use your computer and you have no internet access. Now most of your data/programs are unusable. Sure it will probably have some offline storage like Google Gears, but still, it seems to be very dependent on internet access. What about when you are on an airplane? Or just in an area with spotty internet coverage and no wifi access?

I can see cloud computer working for certain things when we are at a point where wifi is nearly everywhere (and sure we're getting closer, but still not there yet).