FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Android Phones and AT&T

snowboardalliance
So I'm in the market for a new phone and I'm on AT&T. I haven't heard any news, but does anyone know if an Android phone is coming to AT&T? Not really wanting an iPhone. Otherwise I'm just looking into some of the Samsungs AT&T has cheap. I don't really want the $30/mo required charge for a smartphone (which sucks when many have wifi which would let me use the internet features for free sometimes).

Anyway, I'm guessing AT&T won't get an Android phone for a while right?
ForceRun
Yeah the only one I could find coming out it the New Dell Smartphone, But I have heard that it doesn't look to be that great of a phone. If you really want an Android phone you should consider Verizon. If you are stuck with At&t you can buy a smart-type phone and not get data plan, and just use WiFi, the trick is to call them up and tell them you are going to leave AT&T if you have to pay for a data plan and not use it. If you talk to the right person you should be able to get a discounted phone, without a data plan.
FunDa
I feel sorry that cellphone operators fleece customers like this in US. We in India can buy any GSM phone from the open market ( or anywhere for that matter) and get a prepaid connection and ISM card within a day or 2 for ~$1 and start using the phone any way we like. Data plans are not too costly either, but they are toooo slow. And since the operators do not lock down the phone to their service, we can have another ~$1 SIM card and use it for plans which are cheaper on that network, or when we are in national roaming with incoming charges.

Sorry for the long rant. Just felt that people should protest at the situation
snowboardalliance
ForceRun wrote:
Yeah the only one I could find coming out it the New Dell Smartphone, But I have heard that it doesn't look to be that great of a phone. If you really want an Android phone you should consider Verizon. If you are stuck with At&t you can buy a smart-type phone and not get data plan, and just use WiFi, the trick is to call them up and tell them you are going to leave AT&T if you have to pay for a data plan and not use it. If you talk to the right person you should be able to get a discounted phone, without a data plan.

Interesting, does this work?

I've heard their policy is to charge you if they "find out" you are using a smartphone without a data plan and I feel like their word isn't much to go by. Wouldn't be surprised if I talked to someone and then months later they added it to my bill because they don't care that some rep said it was okay. It's a stupid policy, but I guess that's how they milk us for all they can
weableandbob
I don't believe there's any plan for an Android phone on AT&T, seeing as they have the iPhone. So far it's only Verizon and T-Mobile
ssweat
I dont know if they carry it, but for some reason although they have great technology they look like a cheap piece of crap to me. The design is just plain the keyboard buttons look like they were made in the 90's, just my opinion. They make it seem like its the most incredible thing on the earth and have hyped it extremely well. I hope you arent let down if you decide to get one. I myself prefer blackberry or iPhone. I just wasnt impressed with the look of it so if you can get by that or disagree then by all means get it. Wink
snowboardalliance
Okay I guess I'll wait until next time I need a phone or in a few years when I'm off my family's plan. The one thing that I think I'd like about Android is that I feel like it would have a nice development platform, coming from google, and it would interface well with my most used websites (gmail, google calendar, google reader, etc.)

Anyway, I don't want to spend the $30/month extra right now
FunDa
Good news : the "google phone" is coming . ANd its not going to be attached to any particular carrier, and it would be sold unlocked. SO ... hurray for everyone.

But the bad news is : Google would get even more and more datat about us.

That would be putting a lot of trust inGoogle .. Hmm.....

Who would be willing to risk giving more personal data to Google ????

Almost everyone I guess....
ForceRun
I think that is just a rumor, they might release a concept phone, but it won't be sold anywhere.
william
Nope, not a rumor. There are already some in the wild. It will be using HSDPA, so in the United States, you can see it under T-mobile...but that's about it. I have heard about an unlocked version, but I don't know any details behind it. What I do know is, one of the best screens of any smart phone ever, 512 MB of RAM, and a 1 GHz Snapdragon processor. Very Happy
ForceRun
When the first rumors came out people thought the Google phone would be usable with any network. But they will be locked to T-Moblie
aningbo
Code:
Good news : the "google phone" is coming . ANd its not going to be attached to any particular carrier, and it would be sold unlocked. SO ... hurray for everyone.

But the bad news is : Google would get even more and more datat about us.

That would be putting a lot of trust inGoogle .. Hmm.....

Who would be willing to risk giving more personal data to Google ????

Almost everyone I guess....

google phone is already here and m super excited about it.