FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What do you think about text books being free?

solomagos
What do you think about text books being free? I think they should de handed out at school, no money. It's education! We shouldn't pay for that! Or at least the books should be cheaper.
chirag
Yes. This education and shld be distributed for free.
Che
I agree, at least textbooks should be free. Now, about education... I'm sure that if it wasn't paid, a heck of a lot of people wouldn't be studying that much in college! I am over in The University of Chicago, tuition cost is 46,000.00 USD/year and I tell you everyone here studies like crazy, instead if it was free many people wouldn't take it as serious, there needs to be some kind of self created motivation in order for that to work, factor which many students lack of.
tidruG
In my opinion, the basic textbooks should probably be given out free. But the problem is that if all textbooks become free, the author won't get a lot of money to actually write the books, as a result, we will have all the excellent authors devoting time for other things, and the real textbooks may be by inferior authors.

Apart from that, I really fail to see how it's practically feasible to give out any free textbooks unless the basic cost of publishing the textbooks is covered perhaps in the tuition fees itself or something like that.
godam64
but actually paper are not free. rain forest in my country get a huge of deforestation by some mafias. that bad people doesn't care with replant the timbers they have steal.

we should try to use electronic book or e-book that using some device that specialy designed easy and cheap for school students. maybe we could depend on chinese to produce that kind device. so it would be easy to read tons of books with only with the device and a flash disk.

save rain forests ... Very Happy
We still need to breath ........
Che
We are getting into some big issues here... all of which make a lot of sense. In regards to the forests being exterminated... There are tons and tons of paper publications every day thrown away. Textbooks can be conserved and reused... I don't think textbooks would be the main resource of forest devastations due to printing... but still makes sense...
seanooi
i kinda agree that text books should be free. The goverment should pay the authors so that we could get them free, rather than pay to get education. Who says educaiton is free? U need money to buy the books in order to get education.
lockwolf
Textbooks could be free if the author just slapped an advertisement on every tenth or so page. lol j/k
wistom
i think the text books should not be free, through the education is free. But if the goverment is in the chips so the books can be free and all the education's fee can be cancel.
But the text books should be cheaper its too high to the people now. Its not fair, i think.
psycosquirrel
Textbooks are very, very expensive... That's why we don't keep them.
S3nd K3ys
tidruG wrote:
In my opinion, the basic textbooks should probably be given out free. But the problem is that if all textbooks become free, the author won't get a lot of money to actually write the books, as a result, we will have all the excellent authors devoting time for other things, and the real textbooks may be by inferior authors.

Apart from that, I really fail to see how it's practically feasible to give out any free textbooks unless the basic cost of publishing the textbooks is covered perhaps in the tuition fees itself or something like that.

Great points. One thing you didn't touch on is the amount of mark-up some publishers are making on some of these text books. It's incredible to think you would pay $70.00- $100.00USD for a book. They also seem to make it difficult to buy them used.

Bottom line, IMNSHO, is the price should be limited to a percentage of profit for the publishers. Regulated if you will. Educations should not be a 'for profit' venture.
Che
lockwolf wrote:
Textbooks could be free if the author just slapped an advertisement on every tenth or so page. lol j/k

You'll think this is crazy, but in fact many publishers already do soo. Maybe not in a way that is totally ovious like regular adds, but they mix the advertisement among the context...
Ex:
MATH --- "The COCA COLA company sold 190 bil of cans in the past 3 years...."
Even in the diagrams or figures you many times see producst that seem familiar...
Nameless
I think textbooks should be free, at least for compulsary education anyway. If it is required you go to school, it should be free to go. Forcing people to pay money for something could be a problem for poorer families. Of course for private schools and university there is no reason at all why it should be free, after all you're choosing to go there and all the costs that go with it. Slipping advertising into school textbooks is (in my opinion) morally wrong, and hanging ads everywhere around universities is just incredibly annoying. As for the textbooks themselves, I think the schools should give the families the choice of having a free one (but you'd have to give it back undamaged at the end of the year) or buying one that you can make notes in, or doodle in as is more often the case in schools.
darrell
I agree we should have free edu and bks. We are the next generation so they want us they give us. Dun expect us to pay.
the666bbq
every artform should be free text academic or prozaic should be too. Unfortunately there or no mecenas anymore that can sponsor the artists so in the end we all should buy something from time to time. This doesn't mean however that we have to agree with all the junk one tries to sell us - a good single does not justify a 25 euro cd with mainly crap and one good track. Unfortunately they do not burn every track on single ...

Books or worse than cd's though ... when I look at my library I see some that are there for many years and can stay there for many more ... i see others (mostly science related) where I am ashamed that this old information is still lying there. Computer sciences are defenitely the winner there....
Garg
I agree with the fact that they should be free, but think of the boring hours the guy took to write it. On the other hand, there are a lot of things students (university or college) could do to lower the costs. At my uni, we have a student pressing service for our faculty. The syllabus and books are available there at smaller prices because the students work for free.

They work for free, and in return, they get from the uni: a nice common flat, a room where to put their store, and other smaller advantages (plus they do make a very small margin from which they get beers/meals)

Anyway, it should be like that everywhere Wink
blackomen12
Actually ay my school, you do get your books for free! I live in Atwater, California. So I guess, that sucks for you guys...
S3nd K3ys
blackomen12 wrote:
Actually ay my school, you do get your books for free! I live in Atwater, California. So I guess, that sucks for you guys...

What college??
tidruG
S3nd K3ys wrote:
tidruG wrote:

Great points. One thing you didn't touch on is the amount of mark-up some publishers are making on some of these text books. It's incredible to think you would pay $70.00- $100.00USD for a book. They also seem to make it difficult to buy them used.

70-100 USD? You're serious? I've never come across books that expensive Shocked The most expensive book I've ever had to buy was not more than like 15 USD (After converting it from local currency into USD at approximate value) If textbooks are really that expensive, then it's an insane world.

S3nd K3ys wrote:
Bottom line, IMNSHO, is the price should be limited to a percentage of profit for the publishers. Regulated if you will. Educations should not be a 'for profit' venture.
I agree.
Che
tidruG wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
tidruG wrote:

70-100 USD? You're serious? I've never come across books that expensive Shocked The most expensive book I've ever had to buy was not more than like 15 USD (After converting it from local currency into USD at approximate value) If textbooks are really that expensive, then it's an insane world.

Man, You've been really lucky, my friend' spanish book costed $85 and its not even thick... No hard cover nor anything... It's crazy. My math book would had been $81 (used, the new one would be like $137) but thankfully I got it from another student for $50
S3nd K3ys
tidruG wrote:

I've never bought one, but a couple friends have, and there were 2 or 3 required books that were in excess of $70.00USD. (BTW, I'm talking about college level text books)
gh0stface
It'd be nice if textbooks were free. But publishers would probably go bankrupt for not being able to cover their production costs and material costs. The people who have doctorates who write for the books also need to get paid for the time and effort they put into the textbooks.

THank god for half.com
blackomen12
who said anything about college? I didn't see that anywhere in the posts.
Not talking
solomagos
yeah, I think you were all right, and you made me think. But I still think that it is the gevernment who shouls pay for the books instead of us. Then the government hands out the books to schools and schools hand them out to students, who return them to the school at the end of the year, so that the books couls be use the following year... and the next one and so.

I dont' mean that the government gives the books to us as a gift, but just that they lend them to us.
That would be great, I know it's being done in some places here in spain, and I wouls love it.
S3nd K3ys
blackomen12 wrote:
who said anything about college? I didn't see that anywhere in the posts.
Not talking

I did. I was making a reference to the books I was talking about.
nilsmo
The textbooks I use at my school (not college) cost approximately $50.
myrevolt
we have "free" textbooks at my HS, but I think really the books should go digital. you wouldnt need to use paper. anything that goes into my backpack gets destroyed. therefore, the "e-books" would go undamaged. books often go missing/destroyed and students have to pay for them. it wouldnt be expensive to produce. the schools could simply pay for the e-books (licenses; which would go to the authors) and either the school or students could provide a flash drive. bam. no more carrying books around and stuff. of course that would require computers, however, I think if say computers were provided in some sense or purchased by the students or some method of distribution, then realize if they got it in like 1st grade, you would never need a pen, pencil, paper, etc. and I for one think that would save a lot of money if went to school for 12+ years without spending money on these everyday school supplies. the big thing would be plan to get computers available to all students, but once that is resolved, it would help pay for itself. that's my idea. and yes I know it isn't extremely amazing new of a concept, I am just pointing out that it would benefit everyone.
jongoldsz
In my middle school and high school we just borrow the books, but in college they make you pay every cent.

Do you know who writes college textbooks?
Your professors.

In other words you are paying over 50000 dollars and then you are paying your professors for the textbook you buy.
watersoul
I managed to get through University here in Plymouth (UK) without actually buying a single book!
The library is amazingly stocked (certainly the chemistry/science sections) and thank goodness because at £30 - £70 per book, it would have been difficult.
I already borrowed £37,000 off the UK government to pay for course fee's etc so to get free books out of it was a bonus!
We pay taxes for education, and I firmly believe that everyone should get at least a single chance of studying for a degree regardless of their families financial background - if the lab's/lecture halls/equipment are an essential part of the course and paid for, then so should the books as well!
deanhills
solomagos wrote:
What do you think about text books being free? I think they should de handed out at school, no money. It's education! We shouldn't pay for that! Or at least the books should be cheaper.

This is an excellent idea. Provided that it is a loan. In other words at the end of the academic year you have to return your text books and the next year you get a next set of text books for that year. That way too there would not be any waste. So the text books don't really belong to the students, but to the school, who would be responsible for it. If the student should ruin the text book, then the student will need to replace it. Think that would teach responsibility too to look after text books.
Afaceinthematrix
No. I wouldn't mind books being cheaper, but they should not be free. I agree that books are extremely expensive and with how expensive school is, it's extremely hard to afford them. I have to work a lot to pay for my education. But if text books were free, who would write them? Even if it was a government funded project, the quality would go down. In capitalism, nothing is free.

But all in all, I very rarely buy books. I think I've only purchased one book this year, which was my chemistry book.
snowynight
they should be handed out free but later when pupils graduate they should be return to the school so younger students can still use it.
So they should be printed on plastic paper so that they can be used for years....
j_f_k
we used to get free text books as a kid which you had to keep for a year then you returned them. I guess in some places they would have had a problem with books being 'lost'.

When you got the book there was a library card stuck on the inside and you wrote your name on it. and it had the name of everyone who had used the book - number of names == age of book. sometimes there were 20 or so names in the book - a subject in its own right.

you got an interesting window on history. I used ball point pens but a few years before me people were using fountain pens and you could tell when the swap happened by looking at the history lines.

JFK Jnr these days didn't get any text books to take home they had to stay in school in the old dart and homework was to take photocopies of selected pages of the book.
tocapa
Schools (especially public schools) are not just sitting on huge piles of money, if you didn't realize. The cost to run a school is actually probably pretty high (I don't have exact numbers and am really just guessing here), and public high schools have no tuition money; they have to rely on funds from the government just to keep running.

That being said, I don't think compulsory education (that is to say, high school) should make textbooks be paid for. Personally, I don't think should just be given away, since it leaves no responsibility on the student. Rather, students should have security deposits worth the cost of the book when they receive them, and at the end of the year they will return the book and get their deposit back. In the end, as long as the book remains in the hands of the school, no issues will arise, but if it doesn't, the student is liable for paying for it.

In college, however, it's a completely different issue. As a current student, I agree that textbook prices are far too high, but there has to be some way for both the college and the author to make money, assuming the author has written the book to make money of it (which most do, I would assume). Unlike high school, however, the school and student are not co-dependent, and so a loan/deposit system there wouldn't be fair to the school, the cost of which to maintain must be incredible.
rockacola
Yeah, I think they should give out text books for free.....

....... and then lay $200 more on top of your school fees Twisted Evil
mwsupra
Sure it saves money. But I would feel bad for the textbook companies :p
Vladalf
godam64 wrote:
but actually paper are not free. rain forest in my country get a huge of deforestation by some mafias. that bad people doesn't care with replant the timbers they have steal.
we should try to use electronic book or e-book that using some device that specialy designed easy and cheap for school students. maybe we could depend on chinese to produce that kind device. so it would be easy to read tons of books with only with the device and a flash disk.
save rain forests ... Very Happy
We still need to breath ........

Yes, I do not agree with printed books nowadays. I use E-Books allways and, even tough it's sometimes harder to read, it's worth it.
Vladk
standready
Our local school systems charges a small fee (rental if you will) to help cover books. I think this may also help prevent book damage. At the end of term, if you turn in an abused book, you bought it.

On the college level, many of those books are good reference for life. I still refer to several of mine. Also, you can always sell your un-need books neither back to the on-campus store or to another student.
apple
Only a few years ago our government started giving the text books to students for free. Parents were very relieved at not having to shell out the money to purchase. If the books are kept in good condition they are passed down to the next class.
nigam
snowynight wrote:
they should be handed out free but later when pupils graduate they should be return to the school so younger students can still use it.
So they should be printed on plastic paper so that they can be used for years....

i agree with you, textbooks should be handed out for free but at the end of the year...they will return those books so that younger generations can still use of it and they should take good care of the books properly.
ankitdatashn
Yes I support this thought but only in the case if the people who publish the book get paid for this. If books are made free the authors wont be interested in publishing more of thier book material
jabce85
Yes, textbooks are ridiculously overpriced, but they shouldn't be free either. When one of my textbooks costs more than a 150 year old antiquarian book, there is a serious problem....
chatrack
Hi,
I think it is not fair to supply text books free.

If govt is ready to stand such a descision it will cost much, after all the

money is paid by us itself.

You can buy a book if you want you
lebas
at least textbooks should be free. Now, about education... I'm sure that if it wasn't paid, a heck of a lot of people wouldn't be studying that much in college! I am over in The University of Chicago, tuition cost is 46,000.00 USD/year and I tell you everyone here studies like crazy, instead if it was free many people wouldn't take it as serious, there needs to be some kind of self created motivation in order for that to work, factor which many students lack of.
manlear
text books should be free, they spend 40-60$ on each book with just some paper and ink in it.... thats B.S. the school already has to pay every other bill on the planet. Granted they do get 50$ per child that attends a day in Texas, U.S. About 10%-15% of the populous is absent each day. Accounting for that much money lost. The schools barely pay their bills much less have to buy new text books every 2-4 years.
redslazers
Lucky, i go to school in a civilized country lol
in Switzerland education is completely free everything is provided except stationary but that's like nothing plus the system is really good and most of the students leave with good marks, so there is no need for a private/public system everyone just goes to public

So ya textbooks should be free Very Happy
manlear
Wow, i might move to switzerland. The only reason your education is free is because you don't have George W. Bush spending trillions a year to throw some people at terrorists.
Xanatos
manlear wrote:
Wow, i might move to switzerland. The only reason your education is free is because you don't have George W. Bush spending trillions a year to throw some people at terrorists.

Our education wasn't free before Bush came into office either. Nor before that. Or before that. Or before that. Or before that. Or before that. Blaming Bush for the cost of our education is ignorant and completely uninformed.
redslazers
Xanatos wrote:
manlear wrote:

Our education wasn't free before Bush came into office either. Nor before that. Or before that. Or before that. Or before that. Or before that. Blaming Bush for the cost of our education is ignorant and completely uninformed.

I agree, you cant blame a single politician for the shit America is in, i think the problem is the system the normal citizen cant change anything but in some countries cough Switzerland cough the citizen votes on everything from where things are built to who is allowed to become citizen . They should structure America like that and im not even going to take a guess at how long til they pull out of Iraq Evil or Very Mad
manlear
Xanatos wrote:
manlear wrote:

Im not blaming it on him. Im just trying to say our country is broke because of him.
carlospro7
During high school, textbooks were free, and that was nice, because I didn't care to keep any of the books we were given. During college I've kept a few of my books, but most of them I just don't need and they are over priced. I have to purchase 180 dollar books, which I don't just don't want to keep. Free textbooks would make college life a whole lot easier.
spring567
I don't agree the books should be free . If you love books,you don't care how much money it is . If the books is free , you will put the books in the corner and forget it because the free books are not more value than the books you paid.
amfriendsforever153
I think if text books are free in schools for everyone.Than the poor student who cant afford to pay the money of books becouse of thier financial problem.or text books's rate should sell on discount to that kind of students.
liljp617
No, that's socialism. And as we all know in the US, socialism is worse than the Holocaust -.-

manlear wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
manlear wrote:

Im not blaming it on him. Im just trying to say our country is broke because of him.

What you actually said, quite plainly, is that we don't have free education because of Bush. You can't say one thing very clearly, then expect people to assume you mean something else. Say what you want to say, not what you want people to read out of it. Either way, Bush's Presidency is incredibly irrelevant to the thread.
Denvis
I think it would be a great idea although a lot of schools cannot afford giving out free text books and buying completely new ones the year after. Most schools have a deposit of say $90 and when all the text books are returned the money is given back.
yagnyavalkya
THe best ever that happen in education is text books be free
but what do youthink id food is also free?
sciencegto
Maybe my government(Malaysia) was the best in this.. For primary and secondary school, which mean at age 7 till 12 for primary school and 13 till 17 at secondary school. All text books was free. And the ministry also giving a money for each student about USD57 per year which equal with RM200 here, enough to buy their school clothes, exercises books and pencils..
natilovesmike
It really depends on who writes the text books. If you want your text books to be free, then there will most likely be some sort of funding coming from the state or private institution, which will most likely bias the books towards their own views.

Even though books are expensive they are usually written by individuals or small groups and they are free to write what they think you should learn, but then you can choose which book is better or which book you agree with or not.

So, I think its good that professors anywhere in the world can write a book and that book can be chosen or not by a certain school. It creates a lot of variability and freedom of thinking which I think is essential for learners.

I don't think books should be free. Whoever wrote them spent a lot of time researching and making a good textbook and they deserve the credit and monetary reward.

I do think that scholarships for books are necessary so everyone interested in studying can afford it.
bsbteng
In my opinion, the basic textbooks should probably be given out free. But the problem is that if all textbooks become free, government should give a few money th the author.
ptpmonitor
bsbteng wrote:
In my opinion, the basic textbooks should probably be given out free. But the problem is that if all textbooks become free, government should give a few money th the author.

In my country primary and secondary textbooks are published by the education department of the government. They took selected portion from many writers books and pay them salary. In my country textbook is free for all till secondary level for all students. It is also free for higher secondary level for girls. But for higher studies it is not free. I think government need to supply textbooks free till secondary education level for all as not people in a country has the same financial condition. I think it is not need for higher studies as in that time a student can maintain his/her education cost by earning money.
yagnyavalkya
Text books should be free for all ppl
there should be no strong hold and IPl on basic knowledge
gangsterborn
textbooks should be provided for free only for those who are under the poverty line
even scholarships must be provided depending upon ability and interest of the student
Bikerman
Err...I'm afraid that this thread passed me bye so I came in late.

Here in the UK we have a library system. Most towns have a public library. For ZERO cost you can take out any books you like for a reasonable period of time. If the library don't have the book they will get it for you.
Unfortunately many people don't use the service, but I regard it as one of the jewels of our society.
Afaceinthematrix
Bikerman wrote:
Err...I'm afraid that this thread passed me bye so I came in late.

Here in the UK we have a library system. Most towns have a public library. For ZERO cost you can take out any books you like for a reasonable period of time. If the library don't have the book they will get it for you.
Unfortunately many people don't use the service, but I regard it as one of the jewels of our society.

Yes it is... It's a wonderful part of our society. My city has a city library and my university has several libraries (one of them is the "science library" - a three story + basement building dedicated completely to science books, magazines, and scientific journals). Right now I'm currently reading volume one of The Feynman Lectures on Physics for free!

Of course I still end up having to buy some of my text books (which are quite expensive) but I don't usually mind buying them if it's well-written and it's a good reference book for years to come...
liljp617
TANSTAAFL

Someone elaborate on that for me (Google the acronym if you don't know)!
biljap
I think that books should be free for all those people who show the results of their work. If not giving books to people, there should be a good enough library so that all of students can borrow the literature and learn.
I’ve seen people who even don’t know why they are going to university; they are absolutely not trying to work on it… Giving material for people like them is a waste. Don’t you think so?
There should be also enough computers with free Internet access for everybody. And teachers must be accessible for questions after class, too. They should also upload some material on Internet for their student. I think that Germany has a decent educational system. I don’t know much about other countries.
Bikerman
liljp617 wrote:
TANSTAAFL

Someone elaborate on that for me (Google the acronym if you don't know)!

Well, that might not be true...the universe itself could be the ultimate 'free lunch'.
http://www.astrosociety.org/pubs/mercury/31_02/nothing.html
Baka_Desu
I think text books should be free because the cost of text books are too high and that you would probably use it for like 1-3 years depending on what course you do.
Stubru Freak
In Belgium college education is really cheap (€500 / year), the rest is paid for by the government.
And especially the engineering department gets paid a lot by companies who want to recruit the students, so the text books are also quite cheap.
I think that's how it's supposed to be, education benefits the society as a whole, so it isn't unreasonable to ask the society to pay for it. And everyone should have equal access to education.
bukaida
Usually there is a tendency of taking the freebies taken for granted. So there will be a lack of seriousness in education. In India, if you go for higher educations( so called professional educations like Engg or Medical or MBA etc), you should either have merit (Go to Govt. colleges) or money ( Go to premium private colleges). In both the cases, there are good libraries. So you donot have to buy the text or reference books. And yes, the education is completely free upto 10th standard (All cost are beared by govt). The education cess in India is 0.1% of the toal income tax. So we cannot blame much to the Govt.

I think a very good solution to text book (free) can also be done by establishing public libraries in each area. Local rich people may help for this noble cause. Books can be issued for a very very nominal yearly fees(Say 1-2 $/year Very Happy ) for a limited period of time.After which it should be returned or re-issued.

The goal should always be EDUCATION FOR ALL.
Stubru Freak
bukaida wrote:
Usually there is a tendency of taking the freebies taken for granted. So there will be a lack of seriousness in education. In India, if you go for higher educations( so called professional educations like Engg or Medical or MBA etc), you should either have merit (Go to Govt. colleges) or money ( Go to premium private colleges). In both the cases, there are good libraries. So you donot have to buy the text or reference books. And yes, the education is completely free upto 10th standard (All cost are beared by govt). The education cess in India is 0.1% of the toal income tax. So we cannot blame much to the Govt.

I think a very good solution to text book (free) can also be done by establishing public libraries in each area. Local rich people may help for this noble cause. Books can be issued for a very very nominal yearly fees(Say 1-2 $/year Very Happy ) for a limited period of time.After which it should be returned or re-issued.

The goal should always be EDUCATION FOR ALL.

In Belgium, to prevent people from not being serious about their education, the government only pays a maximum of 2 failed years of college. So after failing 2 full years, you have to pay for your own education.
tchaunt
As I hear almost everyday in my Economics class, "there's no such thing as a free lunch" (sorry liljp617, but unnecessary acronyms cut me on the inside). Many posters have mentioned that if the text books are free, that the authors should at least be paid a small bit by the government. Where would the government get the money, though? But of course, where they always get their money: the tax payers! The increase on taxes wouldn't be too bad, but imagine all the crap that would be thrown at the government despite the great benefits earned from the taxes. To this day, muckrakers exist. They will jump on anything the government does and criticize it.

I personally would love to have text books provided for free. I've not yet entered college, but I know that buying the text books will not be easy with the tuition mixed in. The main problem with it is the increase in taxes that would occur. You could make a list of pro's and con's, but I doubt free hardcover text-books (distributed to every student for a year) will ever happen. A business's goal is to make profit. The closest that American colleges will come to free textbooks are eBooks.
Flakky
lockwolf wrote:
I think that's a great solution. It can theoretically be applied to almost everything.
askfriends
solomagos wrote:

i believe education will lost its value
pscompanies
Yes. This is for the cause of education and so textbooks should be distributed for free.