FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Limewire

Tony The Tiger
I am having some sort of problem with my limewire. I thought I downloaded files, but iTunes can not see them. When I tried to find them in Windows Explorer, they seem to all be 0KB although they seem to have saved. Oddly, I could not see any of them in Windows explorer until I first double clicked on them at the bottom of Limewire. I am using Limewire 3.5.6 and iTunes 9.0.2.25. I use Windows Vista Home Premium.
silverdown
Maybe it didnt save it probably or it saved to another location...
Tony The Tiger
silverdown wrote:
Maybe it didnt save it probably or it saved to another location...

I am looking in the proper destination folder. It clearly did not save properly, but I have looked in the proper location.
joostvane
Did you try removing them and redownloading them? (if it is about smaller files)

I have had that problem before, and that fixed it.
Tony The Tiger
joostvane wrote:
Did you try removing them and redownloading them? (if it is about smaller files)

I have had that problem before, and that fixed it.

That worked for the first file that I downloaded. It also caused me to realize that my iTunes seems to think it had previously added valid files for all these songs. I don't know if they all are suddenly appearing as valid, but all files have versions from 11/22, 11/24 and 12/1. I still had problems with one song, but I am deleting it to redownload it again.
Ghost Rider103
Are you sure there is anything in the file you downloaded?

I'm assuming you are downloading a song or a video. Try playing the song or video in Limewire right after you download it. If it plays, then your file is fine you just need to find it. If it doesn't, you downloaded a garbage file.
Diablosblizz
Another thing to just keep in the back of your mind, if you've listened to the music (let's say it's music) in Limewire and the song has finished Limewire still accesses the file. It has a problem releasing the file, so it keeps ahold of it until you close Limewire or press the "Stop" button on the media controls.
slashnburn99
Try frostwire - same but different infact its blue instead of green!
Tony The Tiger
Diablosblizz wrote:
Another thing to just keep in the back of your mind, if you've listened to the music (let's say it's music) in Limewire and the song has finished Limewire still accesses the file. It has a problem releasing the file, so it keeps ahold of it until you close Limewire or press the "Stop" button on the media controls.

How does a Limewire hold affect the way a file reads in Windows Explorer? Can it make a file look like it uses no memory (has a zero file size)?
Ghost Rider103
Well, if a file is in use by one program, it cannot be opened in another.

So if Limewire is using that file you just downloaded, and you never stopped it from using it, then the file won't be able to be used/modified/moved in any way.

I think that is what he means.

I've never had that problem. Unless the file is being played in Limewire at the time you are trying to use it, you shouldn't have a problem.

After downloading the file and you are still having the problem, I would close and then re-open Limewire just in case.

Also, double check your version of Limewire. You should be using the most recent, which I believe is 5.3.6. You said you were using 3.5.6 I wasn't sure if that was a typo or not.

If you are using the newest version, you should be able to drag the file right out of the list in Limewire itself. Previous versions didn't allow that.
Tony The Tiger
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

This can not be true. I use files in different programs simultaneously all the time. For example, I use two different programs to monitory my online poker play. I use PokerTracker version 3 and PokerTracker version 2. I often have both programs importing text files from the same folder simultaneously and it has never caused a problem. Is your statement specifically relevant for certain file types. For example, is it only true that no two programs can use music files at the same time? That might be true.
AftershockVibe
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

This can not be true. I use files in different programs simultaneously all the time. For example, I use two different programs to monitory my online poker play. I use PokerTracker version 3 and PokerTracker version 2. I often have both programs importing text files from the same folder simultaneously and it has never caused a problem. Is your statement specifically relevant for certain file types. For example, is it only true that no two programs can use music files at the same time? That might be true.

If a file is locked because it is being written to, then it cannot be accessed by another program. Obviously, things are going to go badly wrong if things change part way through being read. Silly example: Imagine a badly designed payroll system which is printing out cheques. During this time someone's record is updated from being paid 5.90 to 6.00 per hour - you don't want a cheque for 6.90 being issued because the write process had only got up to the decimal point!

Of course, this usually only takes microseconds so the lock is extremely temporary... unless of course Limewire is doing something stupid and forgets to release it. I think this is the behaviour diablosblizz is hinting at.
Ghost Rider103
AftershockVibe pretty much explained it. Used a weird example, but it makes sense. Razz

I shouldn't of said any files, but most files. For example, you can open a .jpg image in two different image programs.

But if you open a file that you are changing something to, it cannot be opened in another. Actually, you can't even delete it if it's being used by another program.

This practice is common in viruses. If you ever get a virus, and you find the file, you'll notice if you try and delete it, you'll get an error saying something like you do not have permission to modify it at this time as it is in use by another program.
Diablosblizz
Quote:
Unless the file is being played in Limewire at the time you are trying to use it, you shouldn't have a problem.

It might be a Frostwire only issue, but considering Frostwire is built off of Limewire I hightly doubt it. If I listen to a song through Limewire (complete to the end) I can't open it in WMP unless the song has been "stopped." (by pressing stop)
Tony The Tiger
Diablosblizz wrote:
Quote:
Unless the file is being played in Limewire at the time you are trying to use it, you shouldn't have a problem.

It might be a Frostwire only issue, but considering Frostwire is built off of Limewire I hightly doubt it. If I listen to a song through Limewire (complete to the end) I can't open it in WMP unless the song has been "stopped." (by pressing stop)

It is possible that something like that is my problem. However, I use iTunes instead of WMP.
Diablosblizz
I don't think it's a media player issue, yet a Limewire issue. Try opening the file on WMP (I'm guessing you have a Windows machine).
Tony The Tiger
Diablosblizz wrote:
I don't think it's a media player issue, yet a Limewire issue. Try opening the file on WMP (I'm guessing you have a Windows machine).

Does file type matter here. I think WMP only accepts certain file types. Do you know what format I need to open successfully.
Tuvitor
I haven't used Limewire in years. Even when Limewire was in its heyday I preferred Soulseek for music.
Tony The Tiger
Tuvitor wrote:
I haven't used Limewire in years. Even when Limewire was in its heyday I preferred Soulseek for music.

What is your point. Should I try soulseek? Is it better? More reliable? More versatile? Does it do things limewire can't do or do things better than limewire? What am I suppose to get out of your post?
loyal
If it still doesn't work, try Frostwire. It's an opensource free version of limewire, if i remember correctly. Limewire doesn't work me so I use that.

Peace.
Tony The Tiger
loyal wrote:
If it still doesn't work, try Frostwire. It's an opensource free version of limewire, if i remember correctly. Limewire doesn't work me so I use that.

Peace.

I have heard of Frostwire and was under the impression that they are nearly identical programs.
loyal
Tony The Tiger wrote:
loyal wrote:

Peace.

I have heard of Frostwire and was under the impression that they are nearly identical programs.

That's right. It may work even if limewire doesn't (Frostwire works on my computer but limewire doesn't).

Peace.