FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

10 Reasons To Buy Windows 7 Professional (!)

Fire Boar
This is good for a laugh. Just how wrong they are is... well, I feel the need to correct this wrong information that's flying around.

Quote:
1. A new operating system is a bit like putting a brand new engine in a car, so you get even more value out of your home laptop or computer. Genuine software discounts don't get any better.

Oh, sweet! A new engine! Except... that's the processor, not the operating system.

Quote:
2. Windows 7 Professional edition is streets ahead of 'home premium' when it comes to networking and connecting to your online data on the move. Now you can make your life easier.

Does that mean Microsoft are admitting to doing a slap-dash job of their Home edition? And note that "make your life easier" is incredibly vague.

Quote:
3. Remove frustration and stress with Windows 7. It makes the things you do every day easier and with improved desktop navigation you'll feel like a computer expert in no time.

As above, is Microsoft admitting that their last product was something that should probably not be mentioned in polite company? And feeling like a computer expert only happens to people who actually are computer experts: that is, if something goes wrong you know what to do about it. A friendlier desktop does not do this.

Quote:
4. Ease-of-use is another key aspect. Start programs faster and more easily, and quickly find the documents you use most often. Less searching, more getting things done!

I love their use of the "er" suffix. Faster, easier, more. Than... yep, you guessed it, Microsoft's previous instalment.

Quote:
5. Still in love with Windows XP? Run XP programs in Windows 7's exclusive Windows XP Mode. It's a killer feature sorely missing from Vista. Yet another reason to love Windows 7.

I wouldn't say "in love", but it was your last viable product Microsoft. But what's this about an "exclusive" XP mode? So you're saying that Windows XP wasn't really XP at all then. Right. That makes a lot of sense, I'm sure. That aside, basically what this means is doing a hackaround for programs that fail, rather than properly maintaining backward compatibility which, to be fair, is not an easy thing to do. Still, calling a necessary part of the system "another reason to love" somewhat of an overstatement.

Quote:
6. Are you a multimedia addict? Windows 7 Professional offers the multimedia capabilities you have come to expect from a Windows PC. Using Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer 8 the web is more exciting than ever.

Ooh, goodie! What's more exciting then? Okay, IE has improved a little bit, but is still miles behind Firefox. Windows Media Player is a little bit shinier and supports more codecs, but is still miles behind VLC. Excitement factor: depends entirely on the music, video or web page you're looking at. Increase in excitement since last time? Zero.

Quote:
7. Think "Skynet" Could Never Happen? Think Again! Easily create and name your own home network and connect your PCs to a printer with HomeGroup. Home Networks keep everyone in the family happy.

Whatnet? And couldn't we already do this with previous Windows? Well, yes, but it's a bit less complicated this time around. The catch? All computers on the network must be running Windows 7.

Quote:
8. Connect to university or other outside networks easily and more securely with Domain Join.

That's a pretty fancy name for something which is essentially an existing feature of all operating systems under the sun.

Quote:
9. Avoid losing all your work. Recover your data easily with automatic backup to your home and business network. Regular backups will give you peace of mind.

Okay, hands up. Who does regular backups of their home data here? Nobody? Thought so. Backing up data is something that we all should do, but don't because we could be doing something more interesting. Automatic backup sounds great, but requires some external device plugged in at all times which... well, if there's a fire, that just means two hard disks go down the toilet rather than one.

Quote:
10. Benefit from the latest in operating system security. Windows Firewall and Windows Defender security software are extra tools at your disposal to keep away net nasties!

Net nasties? I love how they come up with a cute name for something that exploits one of Windows' worst problems: the ability to get viruses. Hardly the latest in operating system security: look at pretty much every other OS and you'll see that Windows is dead last in the race. Nothing seems to be changing this soon, either. But what they're advertising: Windows Firewall has been around since XP SP2, and Windows Defender has been a download for XP since shortly after that time. Hardly "latest".

This post is intended to make an example of the massive amounts of misinformation that are swooping throughout the internet, in particular relating to Windows, spread by Microsoft. Be vigilant, and don't believe everything a powerful corporation tells you.
Jean-Clod
You're right, but why so many ..hate towards Windows 7? Maybe the 10 reasons they said in that article aren't so well chosen, but hey! 7 is just great, when you compare it with Vista, or even XP!

That's the right (and only) alternative between a Mac (expensive..) and one-or-the-other Linux distro (too complicated for the average user.. even if there is definitely some improvement in the latest Ubuntu release)
lethaltriad
The Marketting is really cheesey, anyone that knows better knows that those reasons are valid in some ways but really we all know that Vista was a bad idea. Windows 7 is really good though, I was using Windows XP for ages, it worked great and I just never tried Vista at all. Windows 7 should have been Windows 6 but at least its finally here.
Fire Boar
Jean-Clod wrote:
You're right, but why so many ..hate towards Windows 7? Maybe the 10 reasons they said in that article aren't so well chosen, but hey! 7 is just great, when you compare it with Vista, or even XP!

That's the right (and only) alternative between a Mac (expensive..) and one-or-the-other Linux distro (too complicated for the average user.. even if there is definitely some improvement in the latest Ubuntu release)

Oh, I'm not saying that Windows 7 is a bad product, just that the marketing is... highly misleading. I suppose that pretty much sums up marketing in most contexts, but Microsoft are a sterling example in this regard.
Jean-Clod
Ok then, I completely agree: the marketing is "highly misleading". In facts, even the TV-ad was (and by far) not so great, because M$' marketing strategy doesn't put the accent on the right things - they just try to say intelligible words for the average user (for instance they can't say: hey! there is DX11 in 7!)

If you recently saw the HTC Tattoo TV ad, that's approx. the same thing: marketers try to vulgarize everything, and that's silly Razz
socceraggie
Quote:
Quote:
7. Think "Skynet" Could Never Happen? Think Again! Easily create and name your own home network and connect your PCs to a printer with HomeGroup. Home Networks keep everyone in the family happy.

Whatnet? And couldn't we already do this with previous Windows? Well, yes, but it's a bit less complicated this time around. The catch? All computers on the network must be running Windows 7.

Didn't Skynet kill the human race in Terminator? Why is this something I want running in my house? If Microsoft is advertising Windows 7 as the next Skynet, I would not be buying their stock right now. Smile
Diablosblizz
Fire Boar wrote:
Oh, I'm not saying that Windows 7 is a bad product, just that the marketing is... highly misleading. I suppose that pretty much sums up marketing in most contexts, but Microsoft are a sterling example in this regard.

How about Apple?
shenyl
Nice to read how people perceive the marketing hype from Microsoft.

I am not against Windows7, but I am against the cost they put up for it, and the marketing machine that kills many other good OSes out there.

Open Source OS has done lots of good things to keep Microsoft on their toes.

If Open Source is not around, I guess Microsoft could be doing an even more hilarious marketing ad still feel they are doing others a service.

Good job done in this critique.
AftershockVibe
For the record, Microsoft itself isn't responsible for the blatant rubbish posted originally. Of course, I doubt they care that their "authorized" resellers are making stuff up either.
b4r4t
Well ... the only reason which can make You buy Windows 7 is ... that You want to buy it/enjoy the system.

I have 7 ... had Vista ... and both (for me) are better than XP. Anything but no XP ... I can't even look at it ... and the x64 versions of Vista and 7 are much better than XP x64 Wink
distantship
i got a lot of expectations window 7, but i am still looking into different opinions before deciding whether to get home edition or professional version. so, thanks for the great share to all of your guys.
mOrpheuS
Fire Boar wrote:
This post is intended to make an example of the massive amounts of misinformation that are swooping throughout the internet, in particular relating to Windows, spread by Microsoft. Be vigilant, and don't believe everything a powerful corporation tells you.
Fire Boar wrote:
the marketing is... highly misleading. I suppose that pretty much sums up marketing in most contexts, but Microsoft are a sterling example in this regard.
shenyl wrote:
Nice to read how people perceive the marketing hype from Microsoft.
Jean-Clod wrote:
M$' marketing strategy doesn't put the accent on the right things

I don't believe that website is affiliated to Microsoft.

They are resellers/retailers - how they market/advertise is beyond Microsoft's control, as AftershockVibe mentioned.

I don't see how you can hold Microsoft responsible for any "mis"-representation on part of a retailer. Confused
Fire Boar
Maybe not directly, but retailers are quite firmly under Microsoft's thumb with a few exceptions. Besides, I could find plenty of examples around the internet where it is directly Microsoft if I could be bothered. I've run into several examples, especially those promoting Internet Explorer as the best thing since sliced bread. The same goes for Apple. And various other companies unrelated to computing... though to a lesser extent there given what I do.
amperx
new engine.. yeah right, i fail to see whats so good about the shiny new os, aside from improvements from already existing features that xp and vista had already, just done better, yeah bad advertising bad.
shenyl
I do not know if the site is affiliated, but I am certain that Microsoft is very capable of marketing hype.

They have done this decades ago during Bill Gates time and even now.

Things that are in Mac OS, and introduced in MS is called new.

Exaggeration is the game of advertisement.
deanhills
Thanks for all your hands-on comments, I particularly enjoyed the thread about the comparison between Ubuntu and Windows 7 as well. I noted that you think Ubuntu is better, however, if you were to rate Windows 7 independently, i.e. we had no choice and can only have Windows 7, what would the pros and cons be of the operating software in your opinion?

Also, I've always been intrigued by this:
Fire Boar wrote:
Does that mean Microsoft are admitting to doing a slap-dash job of their Home edition? And note that "make your life easier" is incredibly vague.
Why does there have to be a "home" and "professional" version for Microsoft Windows Operating Software, as they did that with XP too, except it seems to be a bigger difference between Home and Professional for Windows 7? I'm sure you must have noticed that the standard Windows 7 version on new laptops is the Home Version, and Professional Version can be as much as 250 US dollars extra. In your opinion, what would the difference in functionality be between "home" and "professional" Version of Windows 7?
Johnyy
+ nice style
+ very fast..

i have windows 7 ultimate 64 bit and im loving it!
Fire Boar
deanhills wrote:
Thanks for all your hands-on comments, I particularly enjoyed the thread about the comparison between Ubuntu and Windows 7 as well. I noted that you think Ubuntu is better, however, if you were to rate Windows 7 independently, i.e. we had no choice and can only have Windows 7, what would the pros and cons be of the operating software in your opinion?

Also, I've always been intrigued by this:
Fire Boar wrote:
Why does there have to be a "home" and "professional" version for Microsoft Windows Operating Software, as they did that with XP too, except it seems to be a bigger difference between Home and Professional for Windows 7? I'm sure you must have noticed that the standard Windows 7 version on new laptops is the Home Version, and Professional Version can be as much as 250 US dollars extra. In your opinion, what would the difference in functionality be between "home" and "professional" Version of Windows 7?

Some good thoughts, here's mine. Independently (and yes, I have used Windows 7), I'd say that Windows 7 is a decent operating system overall, about on par with Windows XP. It may not be the fastest thing available, but it does gaming well.

Pros:
- Universally supported by PC game developers.
- Easy to get to grips with for users of previous Windows operating systems.
- Typically bundled with new hardware, so there's none of the hassle of installation for people that just want to start using their computer out of the shop.
- There are some nice desktop features that Windows has been lacking for AGES. Moving around items on the panel is a must, and Windows 7 finally supports this. Also, grabbing and shaking a window to minimize everything else is great for reducing clutter.
- 64-bit doesn't suck. Finally.

Cons:
- Still no virtual desktops! Oh, Microsoft, why do you deprive your users so?
- Viruses. Still. Computers shouldn't get viruses in this day and age, so why keep Windows running with dated technology that is vulnerable to viruses? No other operating system does this.
- It's expensive. When I can get another operating system for nothing, Windows' $200 minimum price tag (non upgrade) suddenly becomes a lot less attractive.
- It's no more secure. At all. If you do all the right things in Windows XP, getting Windows 7 isn't going to make your computing experience any safer. The only "security features" added are simply obstacles that try and stop lazy Windows users from wrecking their computer and just get in the way of everyone else.

I don't think there's much to be said for going for anything but the cheapest version either. The additional features are typically either useless or available as free software elsewhere.
Flarkis
I'm a software developer and i was in the beta test for 7 as well and i can say it is actually one of the best systems microsoft has released in a while. I my self am a linux user but i am still suggesting for people to consider the upgrade to 7. No matter how much you hate microsoft it can be generally accepted that 7 is a giant leap ahead of vista, and at least comparable to xp.
Donutey
7 still has rough edges (i've never encountered a truly polished product from MS), but the UI has several advantages in consistency and functionality over Vista/XP.
Magikscape
I agree with Jean, but I think XP is horrible compared to 7..
flamepjlh
Fire Boar wrote:
This is good for a laugh. Just how wrong they are is... well, I feel the need to correct this wrong information that's flying around.

Quote:
1. A new operating system is a bit like putting a brand new engine in a car, so you get even more value out of your home laptop or computer. Genuine software discounts don't get any better.

Oh, sweet! A new engine! Except... that's the processor, not the operating system.

Quote:
2. Windows 7 Professional edition is streets ahead of 'home premium' when it comes to networking and connecting to your online data on the move. Now you can make your life easier.

Quote:
3. Remove frustration and stress with Windows 7. It makes the things you do every day easier and with improved desktop navigation you'll feel like a computer expert in no time.

As above, is Microsoft admitting that their last product was something that should probably not be mentioned in polite company? And feeling like a computer expert only happens to people who actually are computer experts: that is, if something goes wrong you know what to do about it. A friendlier desktop does not do this.

Quote:
4. Ease-of-use is another key aspect. Start programs faster and more easily, and quickly find the documents you use most often. Less searching, more getting things done!

I love their use of the "er" suffix. Faster, easier, more. Than... yep, you guessed it, Microsoft's previous instalment.

Quote:
5. Still in love with Windows XP? Run XP programs in Windows 7's exclusive Windows XP Mode. It's a killer feature sorely missing from Vista. Yet another reason to love Windows 7.

I wouldn't say "in love", but it was your last viable product Microsoft. But what's this about an "exclusive" XP mode? So you're saying that Windows XP wasn't really XP at all then. Right. That makes a lot of sense, I'm sure. That aside, basically what this means is doing a hackaround for programs that fail, rather than properly maintaining backward compatibility which, to be fair, is not an easy thing to do. Still, calling a necessary part of the system "another reason to love" somewhat of an overstatement.

Quote:
6. Are you a multimedia addict? Windows 7 Professional offers the multimedia capabilities you have come to expect from a Windows PC. Using Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer 8 the web is more exciting than ever.

Ooh, goodie! What's more exciting then? Okay, IE has improved a little bit, but is still miles behind Firefox. Windows Media Player is a little bit shinier and supports more codecs, but is still miles behind VLC. Excitement factor: depends entirely on the music, video or web page you're looking at. Increase in excitement since last time? Zero.

Quote:

Quote:
8. Connect to university or other outside networks easily and more securely with Domain Join.

That's a pretty fancy name for something which is essentially an existing feature of all operating systems under the sun.

Quote:
9. Avoid losing all your work. Recover your data easily with automatic backup to your home and business network. Regular backups will give you peace of mind.

Okay, hands up. Who does regular backups of their home data here? Nobody? Thought so. Backing up data is something that we all should do, but don't because we could be doing something more interesting. Automatic backup sounds great, but requires some external device plugged in at all times which... well, if there's a fire, that just means two hard disks go down the toilet rather than one.

Quote:
10. Benefit from the latest in operating system security. Windows Firewall and Windows Defender security software are extra tools at your disposal to keep away net nasties!

Net nasties? I love how they come up with a cute name for something that exploits one of Windows' worst problems: the ability to get viruses. Hardly the latest in operating system security: look at pretty much every other OS and you'll see that Windows is dead last in the race. Nothing seems to be changing this soon, either. But what they're advertising: Windows Firewall has been around since XP SP2, and Windows Defender has been a download for XP since shortly after that time. Hardly "latest".

I got one for free as a student.                                  

Laughing Laughing
metalfreek
It doesn't matter how they put it. I like 7 very much. Its much better than vista.

XP = Very good (but easily best infected by virus)
Vista = Total crap worse OS of the decade.
Windows 7 = Best OS so far by Microsoft.
Windows 8 = Schedules to be released in 2012 I think. Lets see what it has to offer.
flamepjlh
Fire Boar wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Only one reason for holding and waiting................                         

Windows 8 is coming.........!                                    

Laughing Laughing
mukesh
b4r4t wrote:
Well ... the only reason which can make You buy Windows 7 is ... that You want to buy it/enjoy the system.

I have 7 ... had Vista ... and both (for me) are better than XP. Anything but no XP ... I can't even look at it ... and the x64 versions of Vista and 7 are much better than XP x64 Wink

Currently i am cuing win 7 x64 windows Xp x64 used about 6 months or 1 years according to me both both windows is better then Vista. Two times i try to use Vista but per 10 or 20 days required to copy of new setup. Some problem always creat in my computer. so i dont like Vista.

But win 7 and Xp bothe better for me. Very Happy