FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows 7 for 30 dollars/pounds!

loyal
Hey,

I hope someone hasn't already posted this.
There's a student offer at microsoft. they're selling windows 7 for thirty dollars/pounds to students!

check it out:
http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-uk/default.aspx FOR UK
http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-us/default.aspx FOR US
scroll to the bottom and check out "additional products.

Quite cheap, wouldn't you say? I'll be buying it inshallah (/God-willing)

Peace.
ocalhoun
Thirty dollars/pounds?

I'll take the dollars version, thank you!
Why offer it for the same price in two different-value currencies?
Diablosblizz
This is great and all if you have a valid email that ends in .edu or have a valid email from confirmed schools.
ocalhoun
Diablosblizz wrote:
This is great and all if you have a valid email that ends in .edu

That's all it takes?

Get your free australia.edu email (No, you don't actually have to be a student.)
^.^
Then you can get the discount!
loyal
ocalhoun wrote:
Thirty dollars/pounds?

I'll take the dollars version, thank you!
Why offer it for the same price in two different-value currencies?

I know! I thought about that too. It means the american one is cheaper. But i think i'll be forced to buy the british one, because apparently there are regional restrictions or something. E.g. product key won't activate in wrong continent.

Peace.
snowboardalliance
Well that's how I got Office really cheap. I really don't see the point of buying a new Windows OS before I upgrade my PC. I don't see it as a major improvement that is worth the hassle of upgrading.
darkenedages
well you can defently buy the os using dollars then just call in the serial code to microsoft or end up making a friend in the us that can make the phone call for you.. if they are willing since it is a 1800 number i love cheap software from microsoft. they also have a site called www.dreamspark.com were you get free software for being a student they usually keep it very current i can see windows 7 goign on there pretty soon so if your up the short longer wait then you can get it for free
Diablosblizz
ocalhoun wrote:
That's all it takes?

Get your free australia.edu email (No, you don't actually have to be a student.)
^.^
Then you can get the discount!

Sorry, I ended my sentence prematurely. I mean to say that the .edu domain HAS to be approved through Microsoft. So basically, you're college / university has to be confirmed via Microsoft.
loyal
Peace.

So I bought it. I had to download it to my desktop. The first attempt failed. The second succeeded. Then I had to find an online guide to tell me how I could turn it into an ISO. I was disappointed digital river didn't supply it as an ISO. After that, I wasted three disks and numerous attempts trying to install it, but it kept failing on "expanding files". In the end, I just redownloaded it and it worked, which means it must not have downloaded perfectly orginally, which really annoys me with the existence of md5 sums. You'd have thought the digital river download manager could at least check the file downloaded perfectly. After I installed, windows bootloader replaced GRUB2 (which I was expecting). I managed to put GRUB2 back. Although I wasn't expecting my ubuntu partitions to stop working. Whether that was because of windows remains to be answered (i've opened up a help thread in the ubuntu forums).

Overall? Windows 7 is visually nice and a good improvement speed wise to vista. Although you might have trouble downloading it, and trouble installing it. It was cheap though. 30 pounds...
aningbo
Quote:
Peace.

So I bought it. I had to download it to my desktop. The first attempt failed. The second succeeded. Then I had to find an online guide to tell me how I could turn it into an ISO. I was disappointed digital river didn't supply it as an ISO. After that, I wasted three disks and numerous attempts trying to install it, but it kept failing on "expanding files". In the end, I just redownloaded it and it worked, which means it must not have downloaded perfectly orginally, which really annoys me with the existence of md5 sums. You'd have thought the digital river download manager could at least check the file downloaded perfectly. After I installed, windows bootloader replaced GRUB2 (which I was expecting). I managed to put GRUB2 back. Although I wasn't expecting my ubuntu partitions to stop working. Whether that was because of windows remains to be answered (i've opened up a help thread in the ubuntu forums).

Overall? Windows 7 is visually nice and a good improvement speed wise to vista. Although you might have trouble downloading it, and trouble installing it. It was cheap though. 30 pounds...

m using snow leopard for now. using windows 7 in my other system. i don't see difference except for the interface and that its a little faster. pay $30 for that? not worth it
soljarag
i got the $30 deeal too .. even though i graduated 2 years ago Smile my school email adress still works so i used that

So far i really like Win7... I'm coming from a desktop with windows XP and i also have a laptop with vista
microkosm
Seven dollars, that's how much I paid for win 7 professional x64 upgrade edition through my university.

If there are any college students/parents here, check with your campus computer/bookstore.

Also if you have any technical inclination and you're planning on purchasing windows 7, you might want to opt for the upgrade edition over the "full" edition or whatever they call it to save a few substantial bucks. Normally, you are required to do an upgrade installation versus a clean installation with the upgrade edition. Naturally, there are workarounds: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

Note this is NOT illegal, and may be worth your time given the ability and interest.