FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


What motivates you to post in Frihost forums?






What motivates you to post in Frihost?
Free Website Hosting and keeping my points up
48%
 48%  [ 24 ]
Free Website Hosting but I also like posting in the forums
38%
 38%  [ 19 ]
Posting is what I really like about Frihost, Free Website Hosting is an optional bonus
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Free Website Hosting and learning about Website tools and tricks
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Frihost is like a home for me ...
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 49

deanhills
I was wondering what the motivation would be for people who are posting in the Frihost forums. I know we all start out initially with the objective of getting a Website up and running. But some of us enjoy posting in the Frihost forums, others have a combination of reasons for posting and Website space. Others just love Frihost, so what category are you in?
adri
I do post to keep my points high so I can maintain my webhosting account. But on the other hand I like posting on the forums too. I like to help people with their (web)problems.

(So I voted for the second one)


Adri
mathiaus
When I signed up, it was just for the hosting. Once I became a mod which was soon after joining it was for the hosting and a duty almost though I was starting to enjoy it rather than it be a chore. Now I don't seem to post much but when I do it is almost like second nature, a reflex response. Frihost has become another home to me! Very Happy
joostvane
First to keep my points up. But there are some really interesting discussions on this forum, and it keeps me up to date with some of the hypes coming on the internet. Another bonus is that it helps me with my English.

Now, I don't really use the hosting anymore. But I still like to post.
LostOverThere
I'm not going to lie, I'm here prominently to keep my points up. But it's by no means a chore, the community here is great and I'm pleased to be a part of it. Smile
lethaltriad
When I just came on it was to make posts to keep my hosting. I used to be on a couple other forums and were very active, I used to do a lot of freeposting on those forums to beef up my status but grew out of that really quickly. Now it's like a home for me, I don't go on the other forums anymore so right now Frihost is my forum home. Really enjoy the Photography talk in Hobbies even though there are only a few of us and the games/movie section is really informative.
wellerchap
I'm mainly in it for the points/webspace, but enjoy the threads I get involved in.
I sometimes find it hard to relate to a lot of the threads, as they're over suc ha wide range of issues covering people from all over the world, and often irrelevant to me, but there's always the option to skip that one and find another thread I can relate to easier.
Threads like "Do you prefer pet fish to pet dogs" etc etc are pretty inane & in my mind are spam.
Vladalf
Frihost keeps me active. If there wasn't frihost for me, a few more times in the week I would stare again blindly at my wall, but my decreasing points dosen't let me do that. It helps me.
~Vladk
Insanity
I post primarily to keep my points from going down too much, but it does seem to be a chore after a while. It's not too bad to post once in a while, but seeing how you would have to do it for a very long time to keep your website up, it starts to get old. And I've been doing it for several years now.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the webhosting here and hope it stays forever, but sometimes it just gets a bit tiring. Maybe I just need to learn to type up much longer posts; it seems that you get a lot more points that way.
crossroads
Well I would have to say about 50% of the reason I post here is to keep the website I have up and running and the other 50% of the reason would be to have fun sharing fun and entertaining information with people. The ability to be able to chat with others around the world with things that range from little to very big. I have to say that forums like this really enable people to become a lot more involved and expand there minds to other ways of communication. I really enjoy being able to see the culture of other places around the world that no other way would I be able to without forums and the internet that we have today.
apple
when I started posting it was only about the free hosting but as time passed I got used to being here and started to wonder how topics were going etc. These days I just got so busy I forgot about it until I got my warning email and i was like Shocked Shocked oh noes!!! I love frihost!!! Embarassed Embarassed
truespeed
Like everyone else i first started posting for the hosting,but i haven't used the hosting for about 3 years now,so i am not really sure why i continue to post,habit maybe? I tend to browse the forums while i am working/posting on my site.

I sometimes wonder if these forums could survive without giving away hosting,with hosting as cheap as it is nowadays,there may come a day when the demand for free hosting won't be there,when/if that happens will people still post on frihost? I am sure the top posters will for a while,as i suspect they post not because they need the hosting,but because they enjoy the forums.

Posting on here can be frustrating too,last year, every week i made a point of coming on here ,taking time out to update a fantasy football contest i was running,this year i thought i would do the same thing,asked for it to be a featured topic,hoping for more entries (got no response) ,subsequently,we only got 7 teams into the league,so this year i haven't bothered with the updates.

Lastly,this must be the only forum on the net where Jedward haven't been mentioned,though i am not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.
ankitdatashn
As I have a busy schedule so posting for points and keeping my website fine is the main motive behind my posting. I somehow find the forums a bit slow in replies so posting for entertainment doen't provide too good as an entertainment purpose... Smile
guissmo
I'm not a forum person, but I try hard to keep my points up so I get to keep the awesome web hosting. And I also see to it that my posts are relevant to the topic. Smile
goutha
guissmo wrote:
I'm not a forum person, but I try hard to keep my points up so I get to keep the awesome web hosting. And I also see to it that my posts are relevant to the topic. Smile


I like the free hosting service quality. I also like posting from time to time on different forums Wink
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
Like everyone else i first started posting for the hosting,but i haven't used the hosting for about 3 years now,so i am not really sure why i continue to post,habit maybe? I tend to browse the forums while i am working/posting on my site.

I sometimes wonder if these forums could survive without giving away hosting,with hosting as cheap as it is nowadays,there may come a day when the demand for free hosting won't be there,when/if that happens will people still post on frihost? I am sure the top posters will for a while,as i suspect they post not because they need the hosting,but because they enjoy the forums.

Posting on here can be frustrating too,last year, every week i made a point of coming on here ,taking time out to update a fantasy football contest i was running,this year i thought i would do the same thing,asked for it to be a featured topic,hoping for more entries (got no response) ,subsequently,we only got 7 teams into the league,so this year i haven't bothered with the updates.

Lastly,this must be the only forum on the net where Jedward haven't been mentioned,though i am not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.
Now I'm learning! I always thought your Celebrity Pix Forum was hosted by Frihost. It is an excellent Forum and the quality of the pix supurb. I have not checked in for a while and will do so again shortly.

I'm glad you are posting, would just not be the same if you would decide to stop one day.

It is interesting to look at the forums from your point of view. Would it survive if there were no free webhosting involved? Maybe not. But there are enough loyal posters in it, sufficiently if it were to be used to create something different without free Website hosting, to still be able to exist. For example the Forums could be completely changed in the IT section to become something of an expert FAQs and Tutorials site. In fact, if it were to be rearranged now, it may attract more traffic and perhaps even members for Frihost.
truespeed
When i first joined frihost it was with the intention of running a community site,it went ok for a while until i needed a software upgrade,i didn't back up the database beforehand as i didn't know how,so just went for it,messing up everything,so i learnt a very important lesson the hard way,always back up,and if you don't know how,find out.

Frihost is good for people like me when i first joined,someone who has no idea how to make/build a website,installing scripts,editing pages,so it was a kind of learning ground,so i hope places like frihost are always available,as it is a good stepping stone between those who are not so sure about anything web site related but have a passing interest,who then go on to paid hosting and hopefully a successful website.

ps: Sorry about the forum messing up last night when you were on,i was editing the index header and it was late and i was tired and i left i the odd stray <td><tr> which made the page go a bit tits up,all fixed now though.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
Frihost is good for people like me when i first joined,someone who has no idea how to make/build a website,installing scripts,editing pages,so it was a kind of learning ground,so i hope places like frihost are always available,as it is a good stepping stone between those who are not so sure about anything web site related but have a passing interest,who then go on to paid hosting and hopefully a successful website.

You're right, Frihost is a wonderful place for launching new ideas, before you launch it. I'm still very much in the learning phase with building Websites. And playing in the sand box so to speak, waiting for a really good idea for a Website to happen as that is probably when the real serious learning takes place. I'm very happy with my Frihost Website space however. I can't recall that my Website has ever been down. I particularly like the Control Panel and "having control" except I should really start to experiment more with all the wonderful things that are on offer in the Control Panel. Good part is all the support that is around and if I really get stuck the turn around in a reply is amazing. The Forums are enjoyable as well. Think I got focussed on posting when I read Bondings' I want YOU to POST! And then a few months after I joined he was talking about 1-million postings. Would be neat if we could get to that.

truespeed wrote:
ps: Sorry about the forum messing up last night when you were on,i was editing the index header and it was late and i was tired and i left i the odd stray <td><tr> which made the page go a bit tits up,all fixed now though.
I did not notice any of this. I had no problem getting on and staying on. I was completely impressed with how solid the discussion forum has become. Quality of photos and selection of celebrities are tops. The members of the forum are now into thousands of posts. You must be really proud of it.
Ryox
What motivates me to post on frihost is the friendly community always being polite, and the serives frihost has to offer for the free webhosting. AND

also keeping my points up to keep my web hosting avaiable! Smile I always need my website up so points are important to have :3
Dean_The_Great
To be completely honest, I post only as a necessity to keep my points positive. I often forget to post until I get the first warning email. That being said, I do enjoy posting, I just find that it can be a time consuming process.
Ankhanu
Likewise, I mostly post to maintain my hosting. There are some good threads that I enjoy posting in, but by and large, Frihost forums are too big and too general to really keep me interested (in all but a few examples). I love messageboards, but I tend to use smaller communities or forums with a narrow focus (ie. specifically for bass guitar, specifically for the Fender VI bass guitar, specific for a roleplaying game, specific for the local music scene in my area, etc)... I find the smaller communities or focus brings a better sense of community and a greater chance of finding the information you want or getting useful replies. Frihost, I find the responses or topics to be too generalized/unfocused to keep me checking back to see what new contributions have been made.

That said, there have been threads that have had me checking back multiple times a day to see what's been said and to add my own contributions to the discussion... but they seem far and few between.
truespeed
deanhills wrote:

You're right, Frihost is a wonderful place for launching new ideas, before you launch it. I'm still very much in the learning phase with building Websites. And playing in the sand box so to speak, waiting for a really good idea for a Website to happen as that is probably when the real serious learning takes place.


If i was you dean i would go with a blog,as you have a lot of opinions on various subjects,occasionally when i look at the who is online link and your signed in,i always see next to your name "deanhills is posting a message" .. i think that would be a good title for a blog.
ProfessorY91
I rather like the huge amount of bandwidth that we get from Frihost monthly. I like my website. I like using ASP/PHP. I like having a control panel which is configurable. I like not having ads. I'm grateful to Frihost for providing this service.

If all they want is for me to post on these forums, by hell, I'll post. I will not pay money, but I will post.
erlendhg
As you said, my original motivations was just to have free hosting.
Now, I really enjoy talking with people on the forums, but sadly my school and schoolwork occupies quite much of my spare time, so lately I haven't been able to be as active as I would like.
Donutey
To keep my hosting, and occasionally to help people with hardware and software issues. Rolling Eyes
standready
As you stated, my original motivation was to have hosting.
Now, I could not vote in your poll because choices 3, 4 and 5 are my answers.
hamza1122
Yes my motivation is the fact that my website will be deleted if i don't get my points up lol.
the-guide
Here's one of great online communities to learn about website tools and tricks and most members are very nice. Of course, I also want to keep my points up for my "Free Website Hosting". Smile
Ankhanu
It's kinda funny actually... because Frihost cuts back your points to 45 at the end of the day, I find myself contributing less than I might otherwise. I find myself rationing my activity when I reach or exceed 45 points, choosing not to contribute until my points fall. JUST often enough I have difficulty finding threads that I want to contribute to (and most of the threads I start haven't taken off into discussion land) that I keep in mind the interesting ones to return to at a later date and add my 2cents when the points will mean something... sometimes this means that I forget to go back to the threads at all Razz

If there wasn't a reset on FriPoints, I'd probably post more prolifically.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
It's kinda funny actually... because Frihost cuts back your points to 45 at the end of the day, I find myself contributing less than I might otherwise. I find myself rationing my activity when I reach or exceed 45 points, choosing not to contribute until my points fall. JUST often enough I have difficulty finding threads that I want to contribute to (and most of the threads I start haven't taken off into discussion land) that I keep in mind the interesting ones to return to at a later date and add my 2cents when the points will mean something... sometimes this means that I forget to go back to the threads at all Razz

If there wasn't a reset on FriPoints, I'd probably post more prolifically.
That is a pity, as I always like to read your postings. Interesting point you make about wanting to go back to certain threads at a later point, maybe we need to make a suggestion for being able to bookmark threads in our accounts, like having a "wish list" to go back to for threads we would like to follow. Maybe there could be a button of a kind like "Put this in my list of threads".
missdixy
I've always loved posting on Frihost. I guess my main motivation IS the free hosting but I definitely enjoy the forums as well!!
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
That is a pity, as I always like to read your postings. Interesting point you make about wanting to go back to certain threads at a later point, maybe we need to make a suggestion for being able to bookmark threads in our accounts, like having a "wish list" to go back to for threads we would like to follow. Maybe there could be a button of a kind like "Put this in my list of threads".


Well, thank ya.
That's not a bad idea... not sure how difficult that would be to implement within the phpBB framework though. You do bring up a pretty simple solution, however, with just bookmarking the threads within my browser bookmarks. Wouldn't be much effort to make a Frihost folder in my bookmarks and keep it appropriately stocked.
paskifire
I started posting for hosting but when time goes by, i feel like I'm always home with frihost Very Happy ahahahahha! lol
sonam
When I come first time the only reason is the best offer for free hosting on internet. After few month I was find lot of good stuff for learning and for keeping my knowledge up to date. Now, I have my paid hosting but I am still here becuse I just like it Very Happy and still can find some new and usefull posts.

Sonam
Bluedoll
Yes, free and free of advertising banners is a real plus so the point system is kind of fun in way. The main reason for posting for me though is to be able to communicate out of the box. Also there is feeling you can get that you are contributing to something and perhaps that activity might get appreciated in some way.
watersoul
I'll admit I only joined the site originally to get the webspace, but I do enjoy posting here and every post I make is because I'm interested in the thread...equally, every comment is always honest and from my heart, every time.
carlospro7
Well lately, I have struggled to keep up with posting. School and all... Anyway, now that I am on break I get to post again. I do it mainly to keep my points up because I want to keep my site, but often I find posts that I like and in those cases I'm happy posting. Also the fact that I am getting free service makes posting much better.
Ghost900
I would say lately I post just to keep my points up. I have used the forums to learn about coding and other tips in the past and so I do like the forum as a help site as well as a free hosting service. Very Happy
goutha
I have a difficulty to keep a positive account on frihost.

Topics are the same since at least 2 months, and I feel that our community is becoming smaller and smaller. I can't see a reason for that. Quality free hosting is very rare on the net...
jabce85
Definitely all about keeping my points up.
Ryox
Well everyone wants their website up, so that motives people to post on the forums, so yea lol. I would like to keep my hosting going but family things tend to happen in life, so everyone has to keep their points up if they're going to be gone for awhile.
BigGeek
I'm not gonna lie about it, the biggest reason I post in the forums is to keep my point up, so I get my free website, admittedly I haven't done much with it, but that is changing. Please don't let that offset the value of frihost and the great advice and information on what to use to build your website, the great connections you make with people of like interest and in your age groups. No doubt it is a great place.

I also want to point out, that I don't get the on or two sentence posts, you get so few points for them. Honestly it only takes a few minutes maybe 1 or 2 to write up somethings to say that are relevant and add content to the topic. Even if it is controverisal it is easier "for me" to take the time and write a paragraph or 2, make my point and get 5 points per post. That way I only spend a little bit of extra time per post, and really drive my points up.

I guess to each their own eh?
soljarag
the free hosting, duh Smile

And there are quite a few interesting topics too!
Xanify
Free web hosting, but I do like this place - I'm new enough that I haven't really browsed around a lot yet, so every few days I click through a new forum and find something different to post about. Very Happy
mtorregiani
I voted the second option: "Free Website Hosting but I also like posting in the forums"
The website hosting is the main reason I post here, but as a matter of fact, I'm not using my hosting a lot, I just don't want to loose it because I know I could use it in the next months...
Insanity
Originally, I posted just to keep my post count up, and I started to enjoy it after a while. However, after a while it's gotten to be mostly a chore and I do it mostly to get my post count up only.
malcolmpreen
I post to keep my hosting active, as I'm "not a forum person".

Admittedly, there are some interesting discussions.... and I certainly try to only post in discussions where I can add something to the thread... but this can make things tricky as I'm only knowledgeable or for that matter interested in certain subjects.

There are some subjects where some people just post without adding anything to the discussion, and this certainly feels like they are doing this to just boost their points.

Fortunately, the point boosting is relatively minimal, and generally the forum is well behaved and educational....

Malcolm
Related topics
FriHost Forums...
admin,i hope add a chinese forum in our frihost forums.
Are the Frihost forums undergoing a DOS attack?
** Frihost Forums FAQ **
FriHost Forums on my iPAQ
Practice FriHost Forum.
Greetings FriHost Community!
Frihost should start more free services
FriHost forums
Google Chrome + Frihost Forums txt error..
Difficulty in accessing Frihost & Frihost forums
abhizz from India
A bug of Frihost forums
Frihost's Activity Measure
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.