FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Full fledged Linux installation on USB

bukaida
I have a transcend 4 GB Pendrive. I want to install Linux in it and want to use it for linux work any where. Is it possible to have a full fledged linux install like that so that I can have Java , PHP-mysql, Gcc, Make, TCL/Tk etc working without caring about the native operating system. I know this can be done with a live CD, but all the features are not available in Live version. It should work as a bootable external harddisk with linux installed. Please help.
Hogwarts
bukaida wrote:
I have a transcend 4 GB Pendrive. I want to install Linux in it and want to use it for linux work any where. Is it possible to have a full fledged linux install like that so that I can have Java , PHP-mysql, Gcc, Make, TCL/Tk etc working without caring about the native operating system. I know this can be done with a live CD, but all the features are not available in Live version. It should work as a bootable external harddisk with linux installed. Please help.

Yes, it can be done. Google "How to install debian on a flash drive".
welshsteve
I'm pretty sure Puppy Linux has a USB installer that can be downloaded.
bukaida
@Hogwarts and welshsteve

Both Puppy linux and Debian are Linux live version and doesnot have Java , PHP-mysql, Gcc, Make, TCL/Tk etc inside it. I have to download the RPMs of them and install them. For a linux novish like me , it will be extremely difficult to configure the path settings afterwards. It will be better if it is possible to install FC 10/11 on USB.