FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Still Playing Pokemon

Ow-Bert
Anyone still play pokemon? I still do when I'm bored at school. Original Pokemon FTW.
coreymanshack
Ow-Bert wrote:
Anyone still play pokemon? I still do when I'm bored at school. Original Pokemon FTW.

Pokemon card game or Pokemon gameboy?

Pokemon gameboy is still fun.. the card game isn't and I hope you aren't playing it Smile
wombatrpgs
http://pmnb.net/

The only form of the game really worth it.
QrafTee
Ow-Bert wrote:
Uh... maybe if Heart Gold/Soul Silver is out.
doom_and_gloom
The pokemon card game is really boring, i played it 4 a week and i got bored. The pokemon on gba is really addictive, but i don't bother playin it
sum12nv
new laptops from school FTW!!! WE PLAY POKEMON ON LAPTOPS vba ftw!!!
SunD3R
I still reckon that original gold and silver was the best two games which came out. Nowadays in the new pokemon, there are just too many to remember. After Emerald, everything else just got worse.
wombatrpgs
I agree completely. After 2nd gen it started getting even more gimimcky than it already was.
driftingfe3s
wombatrpgs wrote:
I agree completely. After 2nd gen it started getting even more gimimcky than it already was.

Yeah, there are so many versions of pokemon out and they are all basically the same. Sure they added new items and pokemon but it feels like they didn't even attempt to improve the gameplay at all. What's sad is that after how many versions of the same tired game Nintendo puts out, they still sell like hot cakes.
wombatrpgs
That's because the gameplay is still there for people who haven't played the series before. Ever hear the phrase "There's a customer born every minute?"
Ow-Bert
lol, im still playing fire red on emulator, the card game was boring and just too complicated
pscompanies
wombatrpgs wrote:

Wow nice.. Thanks. Definitely gonna check that out. Smile
Nameless
wombatrpgs wrote:

In regards to the turn based RPGs, this is true. All of the tactical battle, none of the HOURS AND HOURS of inanely boring grinding and trivially easy battles!

But outside of that, I don't know, I always kind of had a soft spot for Pokemon Snap.
wombatrpgs
No kidding. The metagame that this thing picked up is actually fairly complex. There is something nice to the whole capturing/collecting aspect, but the grinding ruins it.
amperx
im even playing platinum at my ds atm xd
jpcatherine
well i do with my gameboy
thats classic. i finished blue, red. gold and silver version Cool
missdixy
I play Pokemon Pearl still occasionally. I would probably play it more if I didn't have so many other fun DS games to play!
desonium
jpcatherine wrote:
well i do with my gameboy
thats classic. i finished blue, red. gold and silver version Cool

I played very much Pokemon Cool But nowadays I don't play it anymore, because all the good games I finished and the new ones aren't that fun, because I don't know all the monsters anymore, because it is not on tv anymore.
I finished: red, yellow, gold and emerald. red and yellow I even finished twice Very Happy I remember me that I had on red the first time all the 150 pokemons seen, because my friend had pokemon bleu so we could trade monsters Very Happy Very Happy
O I forget to mention Pokemon dungeon. I played that for a while too, was fun, but got bored after a few hours Confused
cozziekuns
I used to play pokemon a lot when I was little, but for some reason it died away. But I still play from time to time when I'm bored. Its what I do to kill some time.
Skinetic
I do, some of the time. I've kept a collection of Pokemon blue,yellow etc on my phone..
milleja46
I know what you guys mean pokemon videogames are addictive but the card games are boring. I still play the emerald version every once in awhile.
Dean_The_Great
The Pokemon video games were really interesting when I was a kid, but now they just don't have the same appeal. I played one a few months ago, just to see what one of the new games were like, but I quit playing after a couple of hours. Didn't do it for me anymore.
Bobthebuilder
I live in Australia and the government is giving all yr 9's free laptops... never seen so many people play in one room before. During maths around 1/2 the class is playing one or another of the versions on visualboyadvance... Everything from 1st gen to the most recent games are being played. Only problem is no-body has worked out how to connect the laptops and the programs over LAN so that we can trade and battle each-other
wombatrpgs
http://www.pmnb.net

There. Now use this as much as you want for cross battling. It also saves grinding.
Nameless
Or actually do your maths and grow up to join MENSA, but that's probably asking too much. Razz

/Did the same thing a few years ago.
//Although it was roguelikes rather than Pokemon.
ato784
milleja46 wrote:
I know what you guys mean pokemon videogames are addictive but the card games are boring. I still play the emerald version every once in awhile.

that pretty much sums up what i am like as well in regards with pokemon. however i do refuse to play the ds pokemon games, they just don't have the same feel to them.
Fire Boar
I recently started playing Pokemon Ruby again for old time's sake. To commemorate the event, I came up with a Perl script that calculates the IVs of a newly captured 'mon. Basically, you catch something, save the game, level it up with as many rare candies as you have (at least level 20 is best) and then put the resulting stats into the program, along with their name or number, level and nature. Then, of course, turn off the game so the candies aren't wasted. Smile

For each stat you'll be given a range of numbers between 0 and 31, these are what your IV in this stat might be. The higher the IV, the stronger you'll be. This is a more precise way of getting strong critters than "oh, I'll just catch 5 of the same variety, level them up a bit and see which one's stats are the highest".

Example:

Code:
getiv Solrock -p Serious -l 16 -hp 50 -at 36 -df 33 -sa 27 -sd 26 -sp 32
HP:             13 (10-16)
Attack:         6 (3-9)
Defense:        8 (5-11)
Speed:          29 (28-31)
Sp. Attack:     29 (27-31)
Sp. Defense:    4 (1-7)

My newly caught Solrock (Serious personality, level 16) started with 50 HP, 36 attack, 33 defense, 27 sp. attack, 26 sp. defense and 32 speed. According to this, my Speed and Sp. Attack IVs are very good, but rubbish Attack, Defense and Special Defense. I won't bother raising this one because it will suck.

Note that we just get an estimate, followed by the range. So my HP IV might be 10, which would suck, or it might be 16 which is pretty average. Or anything in between. The higher the level, the more accurate the results are, but you have to have not gained any exp in battle otherwise the stats may be a bit skewed due to EVs (these invisible values count towards your stat and are awarded for fighting, not on level up).

The topic of training properly is actually pretty deep, and there are loads of resources on the subject if you look around.
eday2010
I am glad that I never got into Pokémon. I cannot imagine the amount of time I would have spent playing all the games.
milleja46
I play it stil but not as much. I have gotten more hooked on zelda, and mario series of games. And mario more with the game stations, not the portable ones. They don't play as well on gba and other systems in liklines
iman
yes. my favorite classic is pokemon yellow.
The days when still pikachu follows you.
Nameless
iman wrote:
yes. my favorite classic is pokemon yellow.
The days when still pikachu follows you.

ANY Pokemon will be able to follow you in the gold/silver remakes. And it STILL won't be as cool as if you could ride a rapidash instead of getting loaned that stupid bike. Sad
wombatrpgs
Nameless wrote:

This is what I did through every CS lecture I ever attended...

Nameless wrote:
ANY Pokemon will be able to follow you in the gold/silver remakes. And it STILL won't be as cool as if you could ride a rapidash instead of getting loaned that stupid bike.

Ironically enough, don't you get the bike by listening to that chap prattle on about his Rapidash? (Actually, riding that thing sounds painful)
QrafTee
wombatrpgs wrote:
Nameless wrote:

This is what I did through every CS lecture I ever attended...

Nameless wrote:
ANY Pokemon will be able to follow you in the gold/silver remakes. And it STILL won't be as cool as if you could ride a rapidash instead of getting loaned that stupid bike.

Ironically enough, don't you get the bike by listening to that chap prattle on about his Rapidash? (Actually, riding that thing sounds painful)
It won't burn you if it likes you... I don't know why I still remember that.
wombatrpgs
QrafTee wrote:
It won't burn you if it likes you... I don't know why I still remember that.

Aw, and I always had fun imagined that guy getting a surprise when he went to curl up with Rapidash at night.
poopooface
I started playing pokemon again at school since it's so boring and i barely even learn anything.
wombatrpgs
I sweat that's the primary reason people play portable games... Nothing to do in school
Flakky
SunD3R wrote:
I still reckon that original gold and silver was the best two games which came out. Nowadays in the new pokemon, there are just too many to remember. After Emerald, everything else just got worse.
I agree, but I prefer games with less color Wink Pokémon red is my favorite. I love everything about it even the bugs and glitches and many things more.
milleja46
Yeah but pokemon emerald is still pretty good!
wombatrpgs
Flakky wrote:
SunD3R wrote:
I agree, but I prefer games with less color Wink Pokémon red is my favorite. I love everything about it even the bugs and glitches and many things more.

Ha, bugginess in games is something that's lost its charm. In more modern games, there are never and real "neat" bugs, just graphical glitches and the like...
Nameless
You know, it wasn't actually that long ago that I had a savefile for a (new, non-Pokemon) game become permanently corrupted and it really sucked. So I'll take my video games without the "charm" of obscure bugs, if it's all the same.
Flakky
wombatrpgs wrote:
Flakky wrote:
SunD3R wrote:

Ha, bugginess in games is something that's lost its charm. In more modern games, there are never and real "neat" bugs, just graphical glitches and the like...
Yeah, encoutering something wrong will be followed by me complaining about the temperature in my computer Razz .

I like all aspects of the older pokemon, I have no complains about anything Smile
Bobthebuilder
they need to put the cheatstyle bugs back in, like missingno or w.e hes called, the only pokemon in the game that goes down a few levels when u get exp XD. beating the elite four and starting with 6 lvl 130's and ending with 6 lvl 100's FTW
Flakky
Bobthebuilder wrote:
they need to put the cheatstyle bugs back in, like missingno or w.e hes called, the only pokemon in the game that goes down a few levels when u get exp XD. beating the elite four and starting with 6 lvl 130's and ending with 6 lvl 100's FTW
I don't agree, that won't make the game 'random' Razz
weableandbob
I owned every game up to crystal, but sadly, all the battery packs are dead, and I'm too lazy to replace them =( RIP level 100 Mewtwo
Flakky
weableandbob wrote:
I owned every game up to crystal, but sadly, all the battery packs are dead, and I'm too lazy to replace them =( RIP level 100 Mewtwo
I have red and the battery pack still works, Smile Too bad for lvl 100 Sad
belo-dc-laptop
sum12nv wrote:
new laptops from school FTW!!! WE PLAY POKEMON ON LAPTOPS vba ftw!!!

Nice idea but we do play pokemon during computer laboratory. We have a watch out for the teacher.
QrafTee
weableandbob wrote:
Unfortunately that Mewtwo was declared dead since Nintendo decided to create a cut off point to prevent all the "cheap" pokemon from migrating to the newer games.
wombatrpgs
Ha, I enjoyed Crystal enough to replace my battery. Fun times.
phantombr
I'm playing Pokemon Platinum on DS (since the month of June last year).
It was the first pro game pokemon DS that I got to play, and I liked, I still hope to close it.

I heard that will leave a new version now March 14, it seems like a remake of all the versions already launched.
Does anyone know anything more specific?
QrafTee
phantombr wrote:
I'm playing Pokemon Platinum on DS (since the month of June last year).
It was the first pro game pokemon DS that I got to play, and I liked, I still hope to close it.

I heard that will leave a new version now March 14, it seems like a remake of all the versions already launched.
Does anyone know anything more specific?
It will look like Platinum, but be based on Gold/Silver, include a feature allowing a single pokemon buddy to follow you outside of combat, feature mini-games, and include a Pokewalker which allows you to earn experience for a single pokemon by walking--it's a pedometer.