FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How do you solve a problem like Sarah? ....

deanhills
I guess there is nothing like a good ol' controversy, like taking on "Newsweek" to capitalize on the publicity campaign of her new book. I guess that has to make a statement in its own right that she will definitely not be running for the Presidency in 2012?

This is Sarah Palin's response to Newsweek's front cover:
Quote:
"The choice of photo for the cover of this week's Newsweek is unfortunate. When it comes to Sarah Palin, this "news" magazine has relished focusing on the irrelevant rather than the relevant. The Runner's World magazine one-page profile for which this photo was taken was all about health and fitness -- a subject to which I am devoted and which is critically important to this nation. The out-of-context Newsweek approach is sexist and oh-so-expected by now. If anyone can learn anything from it: it shows why you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, gender, or color of skin. The media will do anything to draw attention -- even if out of context.

I'm certain her book is going to sell very well. Smile

Politico features a review of her book "Going Rogue":
Quote:
Sarah Palin may claim to scorn elites, but her new book will ring familiar to its Beltway readers.

Getting even with those who crossed her, praising her allies and generally putting a self-serving sheen on last year’s presidential campaign, “Going Rogue” is typical of the political memoir genre of recent vintage. It’s the sort of book that will send the political class scurrying to bookstores, eager to see how they fared in what’s known as “the Washington read.”
handfleisch
I think it's funny how she whines about being a victim of sexism... Used to be Republicans dismissed liberals for crying victim over everything, now they are the biggest victim wanabees.

But really, I think she is just plain lying again, and actually is thrilled to be on the cover of Newsweek in any way.

Whatever. The whole thing just shows how messed up is the lost and wandering Republican party.
handfleisch
Oh, and Palin is generating some nice expletives in reaction to her self-serving lies about helping victims of the Exxon Valdez oil spill disaster.

http://blogs.reuters.com/frontrow/2009/11/18/palins-exxon-valdez-account-draws-guffaws/
Quote:

Palin’s Exxon Valdez account draws guffaws

In the book, Palin claims to have helped the fishermen, Alaska Natives and other individuals suing Exxon over spill damages prevail in their legal case.

“It took years for Alaska to achieve victory. As governor, I directed our attorney general to write an amicus brief in the case, and, thanks to Alaska’s able attorneys arguing in front of the highest court in the land, in 2008 the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in favor of the people,” she writes in her book. “Finally, Alaskans could recover some of their losses.”

But Palin’s claims of victory for the plaintiffs and of playing a role in achieving that victory are highly distorted, said the chief attorney for the approximately 32,000 plaintiffs that sued Exxon over damages from the worst oil-tanker spill in U.S. waters.

“That is the most cockamamie bullshit,” said Dave Oesting of Anchorage, lead plaintiff attorney in the private litigants’ civil case against Exxon and its successor, Exxon Mobil Corp. “She didn’t have a damn thing to do with it, and she didn’t know what it was about.”

While the Supreme Court in its June 25, 2008 decision did uphold the right of the plaintiffs to receive some punitive damages, it slashed the award dramatically. The Supreme Court ordered that punitive damages be no more than $507.5 million, down from the $2.5 billion ordered by a U.S. appeals court and the jury’s original verdict of $5 billion.

While the plaintiffs did manage to salvage some punitive damages, the result was hardly a win, said Riki Ott, a scientist, environmental activist and longtime commercial fisherman from the Prince William Sound town of Cordova.

“It’s a disgrace. It’s a disgrace to the legal system. It’s a disgrace to intellectual honesty to call 10 cents on the dollar a win for Alaskans,” said Ott, who has written a book about the spill and the failure of the justice system to address it.

At the time of the Supreme Court ruling, even Palin described it as a bitter disappointment to Alaskans rather than a victory. In an interview with Reuters, she said the state will tighten its oversight of the oil industry in response. “Exxon will know that we’re very disappointed in this ruling,” she said then.
ocalhoun
Palin, you had your chance.
You failed.
Go home.
Send us a serious candidate.
truespeed
No relevance but..

deanhills
@Truespeed. Very nice photos. This lady is obviously fit, especially given her age of 45. Beaming with health! Smile

Pitty she had to "brag" so much about herself in her book. I guess when one does that, you have to expect that you will be challenged on it, especially when it concerns "help saving" the victims of Exxon. That is an enormous claim to make given that so many people had been involved in that, and could equally state their own claims as well, all of which could be challenged by others. I guess she does fit the profile of a politician after all. Twisted Evil
hunnyhiteshseth
I guess you need to give this lady a chance. And here she has a point- the magzine has really used her image out of context in which it was taken.
deanhills
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
I guess you need to give this lady a chance. And here she has a point- the magzine has really used her image out of context in which it was taken.
Well at least one can say the photo has an image of being "fit" for office. But you are right of course. One should give her a chance. Politically though I doubt she will be going any places. I would be really surprised if she did. Hopefully her book will sell well so that she can get rid of her debt.
liljp617
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
I guess you need to give this lady a chance.

She got a chance, and she made herself look like a complete moron.
atul2242
liljp617 wrote:

She got a chance, and she made herself look like a complete moron.

Very Happy
Well a very cleaver M...... whos still running fit.
anakin_skyrunner
This heading reminded me of The Sound of Music^^
How do you solve a problem like Maria... haha, anyways, I hope for you guys that she really doesn't run for presidency in 2012.
Afaceinthematrix
anakin_skyrunner wrote:
How do you solve a problem like Maria... haha, anyways, I hope for you guys that she really doesn't run for presidency in 2012.

By 2012, I'll finally be done with school and so I'll have no serious ties to this country. So if she did run for presidency in 2012, and she somehow won the election, then I'd seriously (and I'm not just saying this) leave the country. Sarah Palin is a complete and utter moron. I was going to vote for McCain in the last election but he lost my vote simply because of Palin. Of course I couldn't vote for Obama because I hate him (and the people he works with) and am still shocked and annoyed at how many people ate up his "change" campaign but really just voted for him because he was young, modern, and black. So I actually didn't end up voting in the last election all because of Palin...

So seriously, I really hope she doesn't ever run for presidency.

Quote:
You failed.
Go home.

Hell yes! She should just go home and shut the hell up...
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
anakin_skyrunner wrote:

By 2012, I'll finally be done with school and so I'll have no serious ties to this country. So if she did run for presidency in 2012, and she somehow won the election, then I'd seriously (and I'm not just saying this) leave the country. Sarah Palin is a complete and utter moron. I was going to vote for McCain in the last election but he lost my vote simply because of Palin. Of course I couldn't vote for Obama because I hate him (and the people he works with) and am still shocked and annoyed at how many people ate up his "change" campaign but really just voted for him because he was young, modern, and black. So I actually didn't end up voting in the last election all because of Palin...

So seriously, I really hope she doesn't ever run for presidency.

Quote:
You failed.
Go home.

Hell yes! She should just go home and shut the hell up...
I like your thinking! All of it. If Palin should ever get to stand for election, that already would be a serious question mark against the political system. Particularly after her resignation as Governor of Alaska.

Moving out of the country will certainly take the sting out of living through potential experiences like these. Hopefully you will return one day, as the US definitely needs you. As far as I have heard there is a serious shortage of mathematics teaching staff in the US.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Hopefully you will return one day, as the US definitely needs you. As far as I have heard there is a serious shortage of mathematics teaching staff in the US.

Also, a serious shortage of those capable of independent political thought.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Hopefully you will return one day, as the US definitely needs you. As far as I have heard there is a serious shortage of mathematics teaching staff in the US.

Also, a serious shortage of those capable of independent political thought.
I'm sure there are many people like you and Matrix and others who are capable of independent political thought, but the system seems to have become so large, clumsy and complex, revolving around only two parties that seem to be the other side of the same coin, that people in the independent category are hamstrung to make changes. Looks as though there is a need for a complete change, from the bottom up. People who have enough courage can go back to basics, start their own Banks, schools, etc. create something alive to replace a dead system. If Sarah should be nominated to stand for the Presidency that would be a really bad sign. I'm sure Matrix is not the only person who is thinking of packing their bags.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Looks as though there is a need for a complete change, from the bottom up. People who have enough courage can go back to basics, start their own Banks, schools, etc. create something alive to replace a dead system.

It wouldn't be the first time I've thought of creating a new, independent, 'country' within the USA...

Of course, some groups have already done so.
Afaceinthematrix
deanhills wrote:
I like your thinking! All of it. If Palin should ever get to stand for election, that already would be a serious question mark against the political system. Particularly after her resignation as Governor of Alaska.

Moving out of the country will certainly take the sting out of living through potential experiences like these. Hopefully you will return one day, as the US definitely needs you. As far as I have heard there is a serious shortage of mathematics teaching staff in the US.

I don't know how much the US really needs me. There may be a shortage in mathematics educators, but I'm not a teacher so I don't really help that void out anyways.

Palin would definitely not be a good candidate for presidency. Luckily, she wouldn't win anyways. She wouldn't stand a chance. Hilary would stand a greater chance than Sarah (although I think I would still leave the country if she became president. Hell, if I wasn't in school and had those ties here, I'd probably leave because I despise Obama that much... But if theoretically Palin had somehow become president in 2008, I would have gone abroad to complete my education...)

Of course I'm not completely irrational... Part of me (a huge part of me) wants to leave the country anyways just to get the experience of living abroad... So I can't give complete credit to the political candidates of my country... I'm sure that if I didn't already want to move abroad I wouldn't be saying this... Crappy politicians is just an excuse or encouragement that I need to do something that I already want to do...
ocalhoun
^Problem is, most other countries also have disagreeable governments.

If you find one that would make a libertarian happy, be sure to let me know!
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Of course I'm not completely irrational... Part of me (a huge part of me) wants to leave the country anyways just to get the experience of living abroad... So I can't give complete credit to the political candidates of my country... I'm sure that if I didn't already want to move abroad I wouldn't be saying this... Crappy politicians is just an excuse or encouragement that I need to do something that I already want to do...
I guess they call it the travel bug! Once it has bitten you, you will never stay put in one place. Smile

Back to Sarah, I'm certain there has to be professional Americans (who happen to be female) who are much better qualified, however they don't seem to come forward, possibly because of having seen Sarah Palin in action? So she may be having a negative impact in that way too?

I like Caroline Kennedy, and I'm really sorry that she decided not to stand for election at the beginning of the year. But then the political circus has to be offputting for her as well.
Alaskacameradude
Quote:

Palin’s Exxon Valdez account draws guffaws

In the book, Palin claims to have helped the fishermen, Alaska Natives and other individuals suing Exxon over spill damages prevail in their legal case.

“It took years for Alaska to achieve victory. As governor, I directed our attorney general to write an amicus brief in the case, and, thanks to Alaska’s able attorneys arguing in front of the highest court in the land, in 2008 the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in favor of the people,” she writes in her book. “Finally, Alaskans could recover some of their losses.”

But Palin’s claims of victory for the plaintiffs and of playing a role in achieving that victory are highly distorted, said the chief attorney for the approximately 32,000 plaintiffs that sued Exxon over damages from the worst oil-tanker spill in U.S. waters.

“That is the most cockamamie bullshit,” said Dave Oesting of Anchorage, lead plaintiff attorney in the private litigants’ civil case against Exxon and its successor, Exxon Mobil Corp. “She didn’t have a damn thing to do with it, and she didn’t know what it was about.”

While the Supreme Court in its June 25, 2008 decision did uphold the right of the plaintiffs to receive some punitive damages, it slashed the award dramatically. The Supreme Court ordered that punitive damages be no more than $507.5 million, down from the $2.5 billion ordered by a U.S. appeals court and the jury’s original verdict of $5 billion.

While the plaintiffs did manage to salvage some punitive damages, the result was hardly a win, said Riki Ott, a scientist, environmental activist and longtime commercial fisherman from the Prince William Sound town of Cordova.

“It’s a disgrace. It’s a disgrace to the legal system. It’s a disgrace to intellectual honesty to call 10 cents on the dollar a win for Alaskans,” said Ott, who has written a book about the spill and the failure of the justice system to address it.

At the time of the Supreme Court ruling, even Palin described it as a bitter disappointment to Alaskans rather than a victory. In an interview with Reuters, she said the state will tighten its oversight of the oil industry in response. “Exxon will know that we’re very disappointed in this ruling,” she said then.

Well, here's my take on it. Sarah Palin DID in fact file a brief and direct her attorney general
to help fight against Exxon in that particular case....I know, because I interviewed her about it.

However, I highly doubt that the fact that the attorney general joined in the case had much
impact on the outcome, so I wouldn't be too quick to take credit for it if I was her. Also, as
Ott said, the win, was really a win in name only. Exxon was able to delay the decision for long
enough, that they were basically able to invest the money they SHOULD have paid back when
there was an original decision and pay the final judgement using interest off the original money.
Oh yeah, several of the plantiffs actually DIED before the final decision, since Exxon delayed so
long.

Palin may have improperly claimed credit here....but she is NOT a 'friend' of Exxon. They
campaigned HARD against her, supporting the Democratic candidate for governor (Tony Knowles,
an ex-oil worker), because they knew she was going to push through higher taxes on them
and pull their Point Thompson leases....and she did. In fact, for the first year or so of her
governorship, she was VERY popular among Democratic leaders in Alaska.....more popular with
them than she was with Republicans, because of her taking a stance against big oil. Republican
leaders did NOT support new taxes on the oil companies, but with a big push from Palin,
and her administration, she helped Democrats (the minority party) increase the oil
tax.

However, it seemed everything changed once she was selected as McCain's running mate.
Suddenly, the very Democrats who loved her here in Alaska started jumping all over her in
a blatent display of partisanship. And Sarah herself, suddenly became the 'partisan attack dog' of
the McCain camp. I think it shows that national politics are pretty much 'dog eat dog' with
very little cooperation. As long as she was a 'little fish' she was willing to work with Democrats,
and Democrats were willing to work with her. Once she went to the national stage.....everything
changed.