FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Proffesional vs. the Button Basher

Who would win in a fighting game?
Proffesionals
66%
 66%  [ 8 ]
Button Bashers
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 12

ovg8
Ok, this is just a bit of curiousity, but in a fighting game or whatever, would a button basher win against a professional? I personally think that the button basher would win, since their moves are all random and the proffesional won't be able to predict them.
mOrpheuS
A Professional would win, always.

If he doesn't, he isn't really a professional now is he ?

I personally don't like or play beat em' ups, but I know a few friends who do and are quite good at it.
I'm not sure I recall them ever losing to a button masher.
Diablosblizz
I voted for professional, although luck may play out differently.
QrafTee
ovg8 wrote:
Ok, this is just a bit of curiousity, but in a fighting game or whatever, would a button basher win against a professional? I personally think that the button basher would win, since their moves are all random and the proffesional won't be able to predict them.
It depends on the type of fighting games. Traditional fighting games heavily goes to professional gamers. Casual fighting games heavily goes to button bashers. Fighting games like Super Smash Bros. goes to professionals as well.
cozziekuns
It depends how pro the proffesional is, if you get what I mean. If he's like, the best player in the world than obviously he'd win, but the unique playing styles of the button basher might make a difference against a normal proffesional.
Nameless
If any even mildly competent player can be defeated by a button masher, they should hang their heads in shame. If unskilled unpredictability can stand up to thought, knowledge of game mechanics, good timing and practise, either the player in question is far more inexperienced than they care to admit or the game itself is very poorly designed. >_>
PureReborn
I agree, it really depends on the game. Most old school 2D fighters favor the Professional player with skills and understanding of timing.

The newer 3D fightings games are easier on the button mashers. Especially Dead or Alive and even the new soul caliber to some extends.
ato784
it depends, is the button smasher a professional button smasher?
pscompanies
Button mashers rarely win against experienced players for the simple reason that button mashers rarely 'block' attacks and also button mashers very rarely use combo moves. The only exception I know is if the button masher uses War Machine on Marvel vs Capcom.
wombatrpgs
I wasn't aware this was a subject of great debate...
Auctus
'Professional' fighting game players... are almost not even playing the same game

I mean, basically normal people punch, kick, if something isn't working, try a different combo of buttons

Pros have memorizing which moves counter which, how many hundreds of a second between button x and y to work such and such a combo, damage done per move.

Go check some pros on youtube, it's insane. I don't know how they do it.
spinout
well i am naturally against button mashers and more of a simulation freak. Still it is hard to do games that not really favor the button mashers...

take FNR4 for example - there they have fairly taken away the buttonmashers but to be sunk by another arcadish thing ; counterpunches that have more power than natural. Sad Rubbish!
wombatrpgs
If button mashing won games, then the pros would button mash. It's more "tourneyfag" than pro.
David_Pardy
I used to button mash when I was younger, but when I started playing One Must Fall 2097 seriously (I got up to Ultimate difficulty level in the single player game, and have completed several times on 'Heavy Metal' difficulty throughout the entire tournament with minimum (less than 10) losses

I haven't played Mortal Kombat in a few years though, so it would be interesting for me to take the approach of learning to play it well. I know I've still got a copy somewhere!
amperx
obviously pros would win, they could just wait until the masher does a longer recovery move, then they could just counter... even though you may say they'd randomly do stuff, there are mechanics in a game that prevent them from moving right away after a long recovery move..
weableandbob
It depends how good the professional is and what game it is, but generally, the professional will win