FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The future of the Atom Process and Netbooks

Possum
Hi

I bought a eMachines EZ1601
http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=EZ1601-01

As a second computer to program on in Delphi. I'm very happy with this computer. So much that I would like to get a more powerful Atom based All-In-One processor in the future.

Do you know of any advancements in Netbooks and the Atom processor.

Are there new ones coming. Maybe with Win7 and more memory..

What is the fastest one? for instance..

Thank you..
Diablosblizz
I don't know much about Atom other than they're good for netbooks due to their low-power consumption and can save a lot of battery life. Only downside, they're not very powerful. I wouldn't want to have it in my laptop unless I wanted hours of battery and only to use it for documents. I don't think Atom is good for gaming either.

I mean, sure if you just check your emails or surf the web on that then I don't see an issue, but they're not that powerful. As Intel states:

- Core 2 Duo: easily handles today's multitasking
- Atom: basic computing and internet in a compact design

Basically, I think Atom is great for netbooks cause it doesn't use as much and it is small.
Possum
Yes..I agree

I love my E8400 based computer. Its networked into the Computer with the Atom processor. I was just surprised how fast it was.
Possum
Found
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/15/intels-pine-trial-atom-d510-already-spotted-in-chinese-nettop/
olek87
i have a atombased pc and netbook, the netbook is n270, its the singlecore chip. its enought. you an even play some games with it, the only problem is java sometimes. the pchas the atom 330 and is dualcore. it runs a win7 home premium without problems. im also running virtualmachines onthe pc and they work well too. i thought just once about a intep e8400 processor - i wanted to install the wii emulator, for wich the atom is too weak
Donutey
Possum wrote:
Found
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/15/intels-pine-trial-atom-d510-already-spotted-in-chinese-nettop/

It should be noted that pine-trail is not appreciably faster than the prior version of atom, in face some cases slower (graphics), but it should give better battery life.
lethaltriad
Atoms are pretty cool and affordable systems. My girlfriend got one last month and its really peppy, she upgraded it to 2 gigs of RAM only issue for me was that it didn't come with Windows 7 but with Windows XP SP3
deanhills
Possum wrote:

Do you know of any advancements in Netbooks and the Atom processor.

Are there new ones coming. Maybe with Win7 and more memory..

What is the fastest one? for instance..

Thank you..
Asus seems to be going strong with Netbooks and up to date Intel latest versions of Atom processors with their eee range. As far as I know their latest Netbook, Asus Eee PC1005PE has a 450N Atom processor, however in the review at the link below, the reviewer found the performance disappointing in comparison with the 280N models. The reviewer uses YouTube movies as a standard, saying that they cannot run on the new Asus Eee without stuttering.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/feb/17/asus-eee-netbook-review-technophile
misterXY
l just hope this whole Atom processor dies out.......... l don't like them, we need more of the good stuff not simple stuff going into netbooks, then that'll be a nice change.
driftingfe3s
misterXY wrote:
l just hope this whole Atom processor dies out.......... l don't like them, we need more of the good stuff not simple stuff going into netbooks, then that'll be a nice change.

If you shove something powerful in a netbook you'd have a horrible battery life and would probably overhead due to limited airflow space. That's the reason why they put weaker processors there in netbooks the first place. If you want something powerful you can always get a laptop but you trade size for power. You can't have both until battery technology improves and/or processor energy consumption become more efficient.