FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I need some help with networking.

metalfreek
I have to configure some PC in XP and give as less previlage as I can. How can I do that in XP? Is guest account good enough? I want to block sites like facebook, hi5 etc etc. Messengers should be disable as well. Basically it is an school network environment and its very vital that it block these services.
wumingsden
metalfreek wrote:
I have to configure some PC in XP and give as less previlage as I can. How can I do that in XP? Is guest account good enough? I want to block sites like facebook, hi5 etc etc. Messengers should be disable as well. Basically it is an school network environment and its very vital that it block these services.

There are numberous pieces of software that could do it, and also I believe XP has a built-in function whereby you can block certain websites with a password. I don't have an XP at hand, but its parental controls - trusted sites, or something like that, check here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174360
You could also use the hosts file to block access, check out here for more info

Also, simply uninstall MSN messenger/Windows Live/Windows Messenger and only let users have a "normal" account which should mean that they won't be able to install any software. Or alternatively, block access to them via the firewall.

Im sure there are also a lot more options, but they might not be appropiate, depending on how big your school network environment will be.
metalfreek
This networking will be done for about 15 to 20 PC. Its for students and I don't want any such sites or messenger service to open in school PC.
Diablosblizz
Using a group policy that is controlled by your schools server could stop access to these applications and websites if set up correctly, unfortunately I don't know how. It would work though, my friend has done it many of times.
metalfreek
Actually the network is already setup and I don't see any server computer there. So, my best chance of limiting these sites and services is by giving less previlages to computers. Does any software exists that I can install as an administrator and block those sites and services for other users?
coreymanshack
Yes, as stated above you use group policies and make all students of one group with restricted access. You then install a proxy server that caters to schools and blocking things students shouldn't get to and make all computers route through the proxy and if they don't they don't have web access.

If you can't do these simple tasks you shouldn't be the administrator of a school, sorry.
metalfreek
coreymanshack wrote:
Yes, as stated above you use group policies and make all students of one group with restricted access. You then install a proxy server that caters to schools and blocking things students shouldn't get to and make all computers route through the proxy and if they don't they don't have web access.

If you can't do these simple tasks you shouldn't be the administrator of a school, sorry.

Well, I was looking for a bit easier solution to this problem. If I cannot find one then I have to do what you have said.
coreymanshack
metalfreek wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:

Well, I was looking for a bit easier solution to this problem. If I cannot find one then I have to do what you have said.

Well this isn't entirely to hard to do Sad