FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

2012 (2009) Great Movie? what you think??

kforensic4
i got some links to the movie online streaming and watched it. all about the earth's rapture and what people got to do about it.
yagnyavalkya
why is the Hollywood obsessed with doomsday, insect swan and natural diaster and serial killer movies
is it true that that is what the public wants to see
ato784
I have not seen it yet, but most of my friends did not like it for one reason or another. they could not seem to agree on why it was bad, but i am going to see it tonight and will deem it good or bad Very Happy
r4inm4ker
The VFXs were pretty magnificent, all sort of effects you could think of were pretty much thrown into this movie. The story is ok, not particularly bad, but no memorable performance either. If you want to have some fun and not thinking too much about the storyline, it's a very recommended movie to watch.
menino
Yeah, its basically, just a story, based on Nostradamus, but Nostradamus also mentioned that the world would end in 2000, I think.
Anyways, some people take it seriously, and some take it as entertainment, and its something to talk about, I guess.
It depends from person to person.
doom_and_gloom
Quote:
2012 is a 2009 science fiction disaster film based loosely on the 2012 phenomenon and directed by Roland Emmerich. The film stars John Cusack, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Amanda Peet, Oliver Platt, Danny Glover, Thandie Newton, and Woody Harrelson. The film was distributed by Columbia Pictures. Filming began in August 2008 in Vancouver.

The film briefly references Mayanism, the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar, and the 2012 phenomenon in its portrayal of cataclysmic events unfolding in the year 2012. Due to solar flare bombardment the Earth's core begins heating up at an unprecedented rate. This results in a series of Doomsday event scenarios plunging the world into chaos, such as California falling into the Pacific Ocean, the eruption of the Yellowstone National Park caldera, shifting of the continents by crustal displacement, Megatsunami impacts along every coast line on the Earth, and the flooding of the entire planet. The film centers around an ensemble cast of characters as they narrowly escape multiple catastrophes in an effort to reach ships in the Tibetan Himalayan Mountains, along with scientists and governments of the world who are attempting to save as many lives as they can before the disasters ensue.

Reviews of the film have been mixed, with several critics pointing out the improbability of some of the Apocalyptic scenarios depicted in the film. The film also utilized a viral marketing campaign that has fallen under much criticism with the fictional organization Institute for Human Continuity, a fictitious book written by Jackson Curtis entitled Farewell Atlantis, and streaming media, blog updates and radio broadcasts from the apocalyptic zealot Charlie Frost at his website entitled This Is The End.
(All from wikipedia),

from what i read here it sounds like a good movie

mOrpheuS wrote:
Quote tags added. Please use quote tags around text that you haven't written yourself.
todabeat
its the day after tomorrow

with more chaos and the maya prediction. which is very misinterpreted. the calender of the 5th sun ends, and the sixth sun begins, not the end of the world
rayz0r
I liked the movie quite a lot. It cleverly portrays the human emotions, both good and evil.
The contrast between the steretypical fat-cat politician and the average male (supposedly) stands out too much for my liking, as it just seems like another movie hollywood churns out. I guess it kinda is though....
desonium
I think it is a bit the same as day after tomorrow.
And what was the name of that other nature disaster movie? I forget it Confused I think he is gonna be the same as that one too.
But I still enjoyed both movies so a third movie I will surely watch Cool
nivinjoy
I saw the movie last day.. I was like WOW after seeing the film..!! The graphics work has been done perfectly and excellently..!!

The scenes depicting the devastation of California city, then Vatican city,and the falling of giant statue of Jesus Christ in Brazil..all have been done greatly..!!

The film has its great piece of graphics work with an originality feel..!!
silverdown
I seen the commercial and it looked really interesting... not alot of blowing up but i can handle that..
Rajiev
I'm not gonna read this topic and spoilers till i see the movie :p

But Seems like its a good one.

/* me getting some butterflies in the stomach about actual 2012 :S only two years to live ??? */
tukun2009manit
kforensic4 wrote:
i got some links to the movie online streaming and watched it. all about the earth's rapture and what people got to do about it.

not so great the story is not so awesome the animation was perfect but the guys got divorce and he still care her x wife is not a new story. the ending was ok the can do it ending better than that but it lack story i was disappointed by 2012
brokenadvice
I am not interesting in watching another big-budget hollywood movie. I watched Tranformers 2 the other day, and it was terrible. The filmmaker went out of his way to have as much computerized destruction as possible. At some point suspension of disbelief cant compensate for the the movie and the audience recognizes that this stuff could never happen. If the movie was presented as a psychological thriller with some destruction, it would be way better. As it sits though, the world just starts falling apart, and the characters run away from it. Sure they have a goal (to get to the arc), but seriously, the probability that they would be able to reach it are astronomical, most likely they would have been crushed as soon as the rocks started falling.
cherry-pie
I think they worried much about the special effects and forgot to make a good story, but I liked it anyway xD
anasash
Not a very good story. The couples survive every time they come up to the end with the help of others and then when at the edge, finds another way out. This is what happens everytime....!
And at the last, they live, when the US Pres., major pilot, Indian friend of scientist, etc sacrificed thier life for the Earth......
But otherwise, the film was great in graphics and real-looking.............
Auctus
3 hours of shit blowing up in CGI. I got what I paid for.
cemica
I watched this movie about a week ago. In my opinion the movie was to unrealistic, like this part of movie, when Jackson was driving with the car and fault line (cracks or sth like that) was coming back of the car and nothing happened with car or with Jackson. Jackson was really lucky guy, because he always survived, even there wasn't no way to survive. Very Happy

But I liked the movie, there wasn't no uninteresting scene in the movie. Hopefully this isn't going to happen with the Earth like this was in the movie.
I think Mayan peoples get bored with the calender, and stopped working with this. Very Happy
metalfreek
I have watched this movies two times now. My reaction
1. VFX wise really really good.
2. Scientific facts wise, as worse as any other Sci Fi Hollywood movies.

Overall, good movie to watch for entertainment (afterall, we need some entertainment)
lagoon
I loved it as entertainment, but the science was rather disappointing...
paskifire
a good movie with a lot of effects. Must watch
Denvis
in my opinion, it's a crap film. endured 2 hours of a crap storyline and cheesy special effects. not worth the money to watch in cinema.
lethaltriad
I was actually pretty impressed by it. The ending was much more logical which is what I was afraid they would go for something way out there. I expected it to be ships going out to carry them into space until Earth had been through the worse. Everyone knew going into the movie what type of flick it is, action, lots of special effects and you really got what you paid for. The car scene was one of my favourites.
mOrpheuS
A short summary of the movie -

The earth is collapsing - in grand style, mind you.
The protagonist and his family flees - the collapsing earth always maintains an ominous distance of about two feet from him.

The only believable part in the entire story was this - select text to read [Spoiler]
An Indian discovers the imminent doom.
The Chinese build the arks.
But only Americans and Europeans are saved.

[/Spoiler]

Overall - 3/10
FunDa
mOrpheuS wrote:
[Spoiler]
An Indian discovers the imminent doom.
The Chinese build the arks.
But only Americans and Europeans are saved.

[/Spoiler]
Overall - 3/10

LOL

That is really the most beleivable part

Really, it was just every disaster movie combined into one.

The visual effects were brilliant , but to what effect ? A good story would have been helpful for the movie. It was riding on its visual effects alone and nothing else at all !!!
metalfreek
mOrpheuS wrote:
A short summary of the movie -

The protagonist and his family flees - the collapsing earth always maintains an ominous distance of about two feet from him.
[/color]
[/Spoiler]

Overall - 3/10

I guess that's the way all sci fi movies work. The hero always manages to escape from most horrible situation imaginable. Your point of view is really interesting.
Baka_Desu
Movie was not as good as i thought, everything just seems to go too fast. Waste of money for me, didn't find it that interesting.
tingkagol
The first half was okay as chaos is introduced to the audience. The moment you realize the goal of the characters (which is reaching and getting inside the "ark") the movie pretty much becomes boring. From that part onwards, I think the writers desperately tried to add entertainment value by adding new problems for the characters to solve- which just do not work, and just plain annoys the audience.

The cable getting stuck on the gears of the gates for example- apparently the engines do not start if the doors do not close. Now who on earth designs a multi-million dollar ship like that? That part was just plain idiotic.
DeltaM
Haven't seen it but most of my friend thought it was a good movie, that was worth watching in a cinema.
paulina
I saw it and I think that it's a movie with great special effects, but nothing special expect this. Everything was so predictable. For me - average movie.
But ok - for that effects it's worth to see it;)
Ghost Rider103
I though it was a good movie. Whether or not the storyline was accurate or not, that's not the point. The movie wasn't meant to be a documentary, it was meant to be a movie for entertainment.

I personally thought the effects were extremely cheesy. A limo making use of cracks in the ground as a ramp, and then landing ok and having almost no damage? It didn't even look real, I don't see how people think the effects were amazing.

I think it was a decent watch. I enjoyed it, and I would definitely watch it again.
FunDa
It should be watched in 3d in IMAX. just for the fun of it. Just for the special effects.

It was extremely cheesy how the disasters went about lolz