FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Provision in Report Function for Duplicate Threads?





deanhills
I come across duplicate threads from time to time, however there is no provision in the "Report" list of boxes to tick, for reporting on "Duplicate Thread". Perhaps it could be of assistance to the Moderators if we could have some way that we could click or "tick" something to let them know that there is a duplicate thread?

For example, a Frihoster has just started a duplicate thread on Obama's Peace Prize in the Politics Forum. There is quite a large thread on it already in the World News Forum.
ocalhoun
Other very useful reporting check boxes would be 'wrong forum' and 'wrong language'.
rvec
there's the accident one, I think that would fit.
deanhills
@rvec. I also notice we have two buttons now, one which is "report" and the other one that is under our Avatars "report the user". They seem to be duplications, most of the way, and maybe confusing? How about merging the two under the "report" one on the top right "Report X" button and then perhaps changing the one under the Avatar into a link for sending the occurences of accidental postings directly to the Moderator who is reponsible for the thread?

I note that the duplicate posting I mentioned in my first posting is still there. To bring this to the attention of the Moderator responsible for moderating the thread, it could be helpful to have a "PM the Moderator" (instead of reporting the user) that could go directly to the moderator responsible for moderating that forum. The "PM the Moderator" would be a separate function from the "Report Function". I.e. the report one would be for the real TOS violations, and the "PM the Moderator" should start off with an instruction that for violations, Frihosters must use the "Report" function with a direct link that would take the Frihoster to the "Report" page. The "PM the Moderator" should then list the definite categories such as "duplicate threads" with boxes to be ticked, including an "other" at the bottom of the list, and a text box. That would mean that Frihosters who realize their accidental postings, could also PM the right Moderator for that thread by using that button and it could be done in an organized way with no need for special communications.
rvec
there isn't really a "Moderator who is responsible for the thread" or for a forum. We are all responsible for the whole forum (except for the language forums).

The way the system is now will send the report to a list, which all staff members can see, and it should be handled when a staff member has the time. So if something is reported, but no action is taken, this either means a staff member didn't think this was a problem, or no staff member had the time to take a look at it yet.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
@rvec. I also notice we have two buttons now, one which is "report" and the other one that is under our Avatars "report the user". They seem to be duplications, most of the way, and maybe confusing?

There is actually a third: 'report this topic'.

Which, really, makes sense. Not all topic reports are about a specific post in the topic, not all post reports are a report about the user or the whole topic, and not all user reports have to do with any specific post.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
There is actually a third: 'report this topic'.
Oops! Embarassed I did not see that, searched for it, and then finally when I scrolled right down the Web page found it hidden far below in very tiny print. Is it possible to put the link closer to the message, perhaps below "report the user" so that the eye cannot miss it? It is exactly what is needed. I did not realize it was there. So I would imagine other people may have missed it similarly. Thanks for pointing it out Ocalhoun.
rvec
oh yeah forgot that one, yeah I think most stuff is covered by those three. And if it isn't covered you can just put it in the message. It doesn't really make a lot of difference, but selecting something out of a list goes faster than describing the problem.
deanhills
rvec wrote:
oh yeah forgot that one, yeah I think most stuff is covered by those three. And if it isn't covered you can just put it in the message. It doesn't really make a lot of difference, but selecting something out of a list goes faster than describing the problem.

Is it possible to move the "report this topic" so that we can see it easier, like maybe a few lines below "report this user"? It is totally lost where it is right now, sort of hanging "out in space" and "out of sight". Smile
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:

Is it possible to move the "report this topic" so that we can see it easier, like maybe a few lines below "report this user"?

Well, it is appropriate that is shows up only once per topic page, but I think it would be better at the top, not the bottom, where it disappears.

Also, both the 'report user' and 'report topic' links could be made into buttons instead (like the 'report post' one), making them more noticeable, and therefore used more often.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Also, both the 'report user' and 'report topic' links could be made into buttons instead (like the 'report post' one), making them more noticeable, and therefore used more often.
Excellent idea. Right now they look dimunitive and anaemic. If they stand out in buttons we definitely would use them more.

Idea Is it possible to add a category in the "report this topic" for asking the topic to be shifted to a different forum? It has happened to me when I have made a new thread, that after I had already submitted it, that I realized I had submitted it to the wrong forum. For that matter I have also noticed a number of topics in the "Chat forum" and other forums that should have been posted in different forums.

Idea Idea Just occurred to me, would it be a big task to add a function to a Frihoster's ability to "move" a topic? Like having "edit" on top of the message, add a "move" function and then it would come up with a filter of all the forums it can be moved to?
truespeed
deanhills wrote:
It has happened to me when I have made a new thread, that after I had already submitted it, that I realized I had submitted it to the wrong forum.


Can't you just copy paste what you have wrote,delete topic and paste to the correct forum?
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
deanhills wrote:
It has happened to me when I have made a new thread, that after I had already submitted it, that I realized I had submitted it to the wrong forum.


Can't you just copy paste what you have wrote,delete topic and paste to the correct forum?
I probably could do that just after it has been generated, but once someone has replied to it, then that is no longer possible.
Related topics
Rules for posting in the General Chat forum
The Chronicles of Narnia
anyone play dota ( defence of the ancient )
Why do moderators COntinuously close threads?
Add to the search options
Function-specific moderators
topics that are closed for no GOOD reason
Counter Strike
Merging vs. locking duplicate threads .... ?
Emergency Spam Report Button.
Notification of change
Reporting Locked Threads
Reporting option: Incorrect Forum
Return to Original Forum after Submitting Spam Report
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.