FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

future of instant messaging

zerodefect
this topic is kind of a sub idea from another post i was reading about icq vs. msn. i personally think that msn is going to destroy itself in its current development path and i want to open some debate over this, so please share your thoughts and ideas. i used to love ICQ until it became serious overkill with the plague of advertisements and a feature list containing everything that nobody uses... it was bloated and definatly lost its professional touch. thats why i made the switch to msn. unfortunatly it feels as if msn is making the same mistakes that icq made and i think that it will ultimately bring in its own demise as people are already beginning to move to other open source or third party clients that run on the icq or msn protocols. it even appears here with this community that alot of users are using miranda or gaim or trillian for there chatting needs. everytime someone makes the switch, microsoft loses money on there advertising that is supplied within there own software, forcing them to add more features to boost user counts... or increasing advertising counts to make up for lost revenue. its a circle that cant be stopped the more is added to the offical client the LESS people want to use it (except for children that love using all those emoticons and stuff but to me personally they are just enoying). what purpose do winks serve??? they just play sounds over your music and block your message window from doing anything productive. some may enjoy the comical releif they may provide so please dont flame me for this, im not speaking for everyone, just my personal opionion and im sure there are other people out there that agree with me. let me know what you all think about the direction msn is going.
RosenCruz
instant messaging programs everyday getting more useful...in future we may expect playing small online games with em ???
zerodefect
would it not make more sense to play online games with an actual game that is designed to be played online? if it is chat software the usefulness ends with chatting, the sole purpose for the development of that particular software. if you are looking for voice chat or online games, there are far better solutions available than the half baked counterparts that come in chat software such as msn. my stance is that, you want something clean and professional, then msn is starting to turn into more of a toy then an application. msn is almost unsuitible for use in a professional environment with the constant down times, software bugs, bandwidth wasting not to mention download sizes and the amount of cpu resources it consumes, the msn today has a memory footprint almost 2000 times bigger then the original version. i know computer are alot fast nowadays and can easily handle that except for the people that still have old computer and dialup internet connections. not everyone can afford new.
tidruG
Maybe this has something to do with my stone-age PC, but I've found that MSN MEssenger is definitely a lot more stabelt than Y!, though I don't use ICQ and wouldn't be able to tell you about that. Y! crahes almost like once a day, especially if the system's been running for a few hours and resources begin to wear thin... at least it does in my PC, whereas MSN with all it's winks and weir smileys seems to be able to stay stable for longer Confused
RosenCruz
zerodefect wrote:
would it not make more sense to play online games with an actual game that is designed to be played online? if it is chat software the usefulness ends with chatting, the sole purpose for the development of that particular software. if you are looking for voice chat or online games, there are far better solutions available than the half baked counterparts that come in chat software such as msn. my stance is that, you want something clean and professional, then msn is starting to turn into more of a toy then an application. msn is almost unsuitible for use in a professional environment with the constant down times, software bugs, bandwidth wasting not to mention download sizes and the amount of cpu resources it consumes, the msn today has a memory footprint almost 2000 times bigger then the original version. i know computer are alot fast nowadays and can easily handle that except for the people that still have old computer and dialup internet connections. not everyone can afford new.

I mean playing small sweet games with the she/he you are chatting ...no offence plz
silvermesh
as far as online games in IMs, I wouldn't be even remotely surprised. IMs are trying to become WAY more than just chatting systems, and the reason for this is because people want them to.

I'll always be more of a mIRC man than anything else. Give me the messenger that you can code your own scripts to do basically whatever you want. Yeah, definitely mIRC.

yeah, I'm a dinosaur
ashok
silvermesh wrote:
as far as online games in IMs, I wouldn't be even remotely surprised. IMs are trying to become WAY more than just chatting systems, and the reason for this is because people want them to.

yeah consider the case of yahoo messenger, how it started as a simple text messenger developed into a messenger with tons of features including voice chats, online games, photo sharing, file sharing, video conferencing and so on... yes the people want IMs to be more than just chatting systems..
Tom7
cool
ixat
The future of online chatting is open source, like Gaim.

In general, open source rocks.

http://sourceforge.net/
gonzo
more useful? IM is just that: TEXT messages real time. I don't want:

- voice
- video
- a bazillion smileys
- file transfer
- skins
- sports scores
- stock earnings
- email checking
- weather report
- breakfast making

Some of those are entertaining OTHER applications but have no place in IM as they're not low overhead or particularly instant. I want a client that loads Instantly. I want the interface to have ZERO lag. I don't want it to use 45 megs of ram.

My mobile phone plan has THOUSANDS of minutes. If I want to "voice chat" I'll call someone. My home phone is VoIP so I pay zero long distance. If I want to call internationally I might use skype. If I want to video phone, which is almost never, I'll use eyechat. If I want to send a file I'll use megaupload or yousendit. Skins are for people who drive rice rockets. I don't need to check my email every 22 seconds. POP3 has it's uses but the tech saavy use IMAP -- you should too.

Let your chef make breakfast.

On occasion I'll install AOL AIM legacy 5.2.3292. It has almost no bloat, and no ARG malware. Usually I use either IM2 or miranda for multiprotocol support.

http://www.im2.com/
http://miranda-im.org

Admittedly IM2 has alot of features I don't need, but it does them well and with very low resource use

I have multiple accounts accross ICQ, jabber, AIM, Y!, and MSN. Unfortunately I have to span the offerings because I have some clue impaired friends (read as lazy).

The future is in transparent IM-encryption

GPG seems the most likely as its GPL

Again, IM2 is an excellent choice because encryption is an inbuilt option Very Happy
ankhezar
i want a program like icq plus skype
NuniPio
pretty soon u'll be able to touch the person through IM im telling u giv it about 2 years and some nerd will find a way..imagine life without the nerds.. Think
Qwertyip
TBH .. I recon google will also try and take over the IM programs with there Google Talk.

They already have a voice hing as if there are in the same room as you. They just need the features of Trillian and IM2 and they'll be sorted lol
jveezy
I think the future of IMs definitely lies with multi-protocol clients like Gaim and Google Talk (one guy apparantly works for both so I'm sure Google Talk will be very similar to Gaim except maybe with text ads or something.)

Gaim is very stable for me and works with AIM, Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, and a bunch of other protocols I've never even heard of. Plus it's open source so you can probably customize it if that's your thing. http://gaim.sourceforge.net/
Wayne1986
skype is where it is at. I think msn 8 when launched it looking at this type of thing with the phoneing and stuff.

MSN 8 is avalible to buy has been for ages. but the free one that is launching will be totally different.
Northgatebaseball
I am seventeen and everyone that I know and talk to uses AOL Instant Messenger. AOL came out with the new AIM Triton, which I have. I dont really like it, because it uses up a lot of resources and it isnt as simple as most want it. I know that everyone likes the tabbed windows that Triton uses, but everything else is a waste. All that I use for IM programs is file transfers and actual text messages. Most people like the ease of the old AIM to view the profile of the person and their away message. In the new Triton you have to go to the buddy list and right click on their name to get their profile while in the old one, there was a button that you could click in the IM box.

Most people do not want all the add-ons from what I have found, so I think that IM programs will stay fairly simple in the future.
Scott
Quote:
MSN 8 is avalible to buy has been for ages. but the free one that is launching will be totally different.

I think the MSN 8 you are reffering to has nothing to do with MSN Messenger 8. MSN messenger 8 hasn't been released to the public yet, but there was some older software that came out a long time ago called MSN 8.