FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

COD: Modern Warfare 2

Jamestf347
Has anyone gotten a chance to play Infinity Ward's newest addition to the Call Of Duty franchise? It's called Modern Warfare 2

Here's a quick summary...

This is a first-person shooter in which players assume the roles of members of an elite squadron on the trail of a Russian ultranationalist. Players defend the U.S. from Russian armed forces, engage in skirmishes and combat missions, and track the ultranationalist in an attempt to discover his true motivations and co-conspirators. Players use machine guns, sniper rifles, grenades, and missiles to kill enemy soldiers throughout the battlefields. Realistic gunfire, explosions, and cries of pain are heard during the frequent and fast-paced combat. The most intense depiction of violence occurs during a "No Russian" mission where players take on the role of an undercover Ranger: Several civilians are gunned down at an airport as players are given a choice to participate in the killings (e.g., players can shoot a wounded civilian that is crawling on the ground), or walk by and observe without opening fire. In either case, civilians scream and emit pools of blood as they are shot to death. Within the multiplayer portion of the game, players can unlock "emblems" to be used on their player name cards. Some of these emblems contain images that reference drugs (e.g., a cannabis leaf; a name card with a depiction of a joint). Dialogue in the game contains profanity in both English (e.g., "sh*t") and Russian (e.g., "f**k" and "motherf**ker").

If anyone does play this, what system? Online?

Personally I'm on Xbox 360, and I play Xbox live on it, and it's sooo fun
ZiMoN
Got the game this morning and completed the SP this evening. Not a dull moment in that campaign! The return of certain people (you should know what i mean if youve been playing) did require some imagination but it was still a great experience. In my opinion its much better than COD4. MP is still fun but itll take a week or two for it to get going as most people are just running around the map not paying much attention to what's going on.

1 BIG failure --> no dedicated servers for MP which means no clan wars and no ranking (see clanbase.com)

Anyone else playing PC version? Place your steamname
weableandbob
I would have gotten it, but the no dedicated servers thing and the price raise made me not, so I got Left 4 Dead 2 instead =D
driftingfe3s
I'm really enjoying the game. The single player campaign mode is a bit short, but it was action packed and very intense. The multilayer has improved a bunch and it feels much more fun to play than the first modern warfare. What I really like is how kill streak bonuses are queued. I hated loosing an airstrike or a UAV just because I continued to kill people without dying and I didn't have an opportunity to use them yet. Being able to customize and choose which kill streak bonuses you want as well is awesome. Over all the game has a faster pace than the first MW. Having no dedicated servers doesn't really bother me much and the addition of the special ops mode is a great addition.
lethaltriad
Just got it the other day and its been really good so far. Probably about half way so far and the gameplay is almost as good as the first one so far. Alot of moments in the single player story line which I didnt expect sorta like the first one. The scene No Russia with the airport and where you witness terrorists shooting innocent people in the airport is probably one of the more controversal moments in video game history. Puts it sorta close to the Grand Theft Auto Series. Really good game so far, cant wait to finish it.
Marcuzzo
I've finished the single player mode and I'm almost done with the special Ops,
I'm a Rank 39 on XB Live

I finished the single player in like 6 hours, they could have put more time and effort into it to make more levels, the game has an open end so the story isn't over yet.

This is a ****SPOILER***** http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Vladimir_Makarov, so don't read that page if you don't want the story spoiled

the special Ops are awesome, especialy with a friend online.

and the multiplayer, well, if you loved 4, you will definitely love this one
Dark_merlin
This game looks great, i loved COD4 and i've heard the multiplayer in this is a step up - even with the different server config on PC. I'll be buying it for christmas Very Happy
ZiMoN
I decided to uninstall the game and never play it anymore...

The lag on the pc version is getting worser and worser. In belgium we have a limited download, but very good internet. So the chance i get picked to host is big.

It's a big fail game for PC and PS3. Both platforms have huge problems.

I think Xbox is doing good....
Helios
I finished the single player campaign. It was nice, but I enjoyed Modern Warfare I more.
Since I don't have a lot of time to play co-op atm, I decided to uninstall it for now.
Maybe I'll call my old co-op buddies to throw some rounds at those Russians some day...

Anyway, like most COD games, this one was way too short. I'm playing on "hardened" and it took me under 6 hours to finish it. Maybe I'll try Veteran next time in co-op...
Cool game overall... they make every release more and more cinematic, which is good IMO!
Dark_merlin
Got this game a few days ago... really dissapointing

The singleplayer was good, with alot of cinematic moments and a very realistic plot which does what they aim for - to draw you in

The multiplayer.. too much lag. I found i was constantly getting 2-3 bars, which was too much lag, with a terrible hit response and i found myself skipping around. I think the lack of dedicated servers is terrible, and i found people already cheating and insta-nading and using super jumps

I think once the pirate community crack this game, even though i own it i'll probably switch to the underground community simply for the hightened control with less lag and being able to kick hackers.
BRzdOwN
i want call of duty modern warfare 2 so bad but i dont have a much money at this time. the previews look great i sit and watch the trail all the time. and also the picture is great, very nice quality.
Skinetic
I'll have to upgrade my comp to be able to play it fast enough, but by the looks of the trailers it's freaking awesome!
alexmarchand
just another day at office Wink

well,what can i say?the game is good enough to be played for the few hours of duration of his campaign.you know,short but good,actually thats what matter right?
apart of that,almost everything still the same as COD4

i finished the game on the pc,hardened,tryng to finish at veteran but looks impossible xD
ssweat
I heard the pc version had issues and the developers raised th price in the us version do to the global economy drop, which deters me quickly. I also heard alot of the pc users were boycotting it. Saw a petition online somewhere. If the price changes maybe ill give it a try.
alexmarchand
ssweat wrote:
I heard the pc version had issues and the developers raised th price in the us version do to the global economy drop, which deters me quickly. I also heard alot of the pc users were boycotting it. Saw a petition online somewhere. If the price changes maybe ill give it a try.

PC Gamers were boycotting COD MW2 because IW changed the multiplayer system.Now you cant have your own clan server for example...
tingkagol
ZiMoN wrote:
Anyone else playing PC version? Place your steamname

tingkagol

Quote:
1 BIG failure --> no dedicated servers for MP which means no clan wars and no ranking (see clanbase.com)

Can I also add that you can no longer lean around corners?
achowles
I heard someone's patched in dedicated servers for the game now. But even with those I don't see how the game's worth the extortionate price tag. It's not like we're so bereft of decent FPS that we need to pay way over the odds for a 6 hour long campaign with possibly the most horribly contrived plot of any game in history. That No Russian level was shocking in ways they didn't intend - shockingly bad.

Seriously, this is why most games don't bother much with the plot at all. Because when they do it turns out like this. When you add that to the fact that it's so poorly optimised for PC that it's one small step away from requiring a controller to play it. The fact that they've removed modding is nothing more than a cynical move to make sure their premium content isn't going to face (superior) competition from freebies.

I'm sure Infinity Ward could make an excellent game if it wasn't for Activision's greed. But thanks to them it's not going to happen.
tingkagol
I agree the game was a bit too pricey. When I first found out about its price when I visited my nearby game shop, I was a bit hesitant at first if I should get it. I planned to get it, but the price put me off. So I went home. Two or three days later, after recovering from the "the shock" of its high price, I decided to get it anyway. I got it for P2,500 (about $52).

achowles wrote:
Seriously, this is why most games don't bother much with the plot at all.

I'll have to disagree here. Plot and story is jaw-droppingly amazing in my opinion. Quality of presentation is top-notch too. There were really great "OMG" moments in the campaign (especially in the 2nd half). I also loved how it ended, really dramatic and the presentation for the last scene was near flawless.

I've been playing multiplayer ever since. I have yet to really get into Spec Ops since I've only tried a few of its maps.

I don't think dedicated servers are up yet...
Marcuzzo
tingkagol wrote:
I agree the game was a bit too pricey. When I first found out about its price when I visited my nearby game shop, I was a bit hesitant at first if I should get it. I planned to get it, but the price put me off. So I went home. Two or three days later, after recovering from the "the shock" of its high price, I decided to get it anyway. I got it for P2,500 (about $52).

achowles wrote:
Seriously, this is why most games don't bother much with the plot at all.

I'll have to disagree here. Plot and story is jaw-droppingly amazing in my opinion. Quality of presentation is top-notch too. There were really great "OMG" moments in the campaign (especially in the 2nd half). I also loved how it ended, really dramatic and the presentation for the last scene was near flawless.

I've been playing multiplayer ever since. I have yet to really get into Spec Ops since I've only tried a few of its maps.

I don't think dedicated servers are up yet...

the plot sucks arse,
common,
Taskforce 141 infiltratest Makarovs gang, have a big ass shoutout at the zakhaev airport, killing everybody, the FNG gets wacked by Makarov, you go and bust out Price(who should have been dead) out of the gulag, Russia Attacks the US, 141 goes to retreive some files, shepard shoots Ghost and roach, Price and Soap go to kill sheppard.

and then I was sitting in front of the TV like, WTF just happened... Confused

love the multiplayer and spec ops though.
the rest is ... less then average
tingkagol
Quote:
Taskforce 141 infiltratest Makarovs gang, have a big ass shoutout at the zakhaev airport, killing everybody, the FNG gets wacked by Makarov, you go and bust out Price(who should have been dead) out of the gulag, Russia Attacks the US, 141 goes to retreive some files, shepard shoots Ghost and roach, Price and Soap go to kill sheppard.

and then I was sitting in front of the TV like, WTF just happened...

What's wrong with that? Would you have preferred if you killed Makarov instead? I actually loved the twist, however over-the-top it may be. I think Infinity Ward is yet setting up another sequel by choosing to keep Makarov alive.

If I had any complaints about the plot, it would be that the Russian invasion was baseless just because the terrorist attack on the russian airport was done by "Americans".

I still think it was presented really well, regardless if it has a simple plot.
achowles
tingkagol wrote:
Plot and story is jaw-droppingly amazing in my opinion.

Jaw-dropping, perhaps. But not because of the awesomeness. Big explosions and high body count to not an awesome plot make. The plot doesn't come close to making sense in any way. It just makes it very apparent that they could think of no other way to create a war between the US and Russia (that lasts a couple of hours).
Diablosblizz
Just got it for Christmas, so far so good! I still suck on Live though. Sad
Jamestf347
I finished the campaign the first day I got the game, it was kinda good, but I personally think they add too much to it. Most of the kids that play today, just want to play not watch a whole story unfold. But It's what people like right?

Special Ops, that is extremely fun, but the veterans difficulty does get really challenging at the last Special ops missions where all you face is the Juggernauts. But it is really fun playing with a buddy on the AC130 level and the helicopter gunner missions.

The selling point of the game... Online multi-player, I think it's a bit more fast paced than other games of the call of duty franchise. It is really fun, and can get aggravating at times even for the best of the franchise players. All in all i think it is really an amazing Game and deserves game of the year, with all the hype it has, most of the people think it kept up to the modern warfare name.
Diablosblizz
Quote:
The selling point of the game... Online multi-player, I think it's a bit more fast paced than other games of the call of duty franchise. It is really fun, and can get aggravating at times even for the best of the franchise players. All in all i think it is really an amazing Game and deserves game of the year, with all the hype it has, most of the people think it kept up to the modern warfare name.

Oh.. except for the fact that it's horribly broken. Reasons:

1. Lag... my god. I pay $60 for xBox Live I DESERVE dedicated servers.
2. Care package glitching
3. Classes are under-powered and over-powered.
4. Sentry guns don't get disabled when a flash is thrown at them.
5. More lag.
6. Connection problems. Joining a game and it saying "Waiting for other players." or "CONNECTION LOST" even though I hear people talking on the mics.
7. COMMANDO. 'Nuff said.

IW has so much to work on, and to be honest I have NO idea what is taking them so long.
LostOverThere
Quote:
1. Lag... my god. I pay $60 for xBox Live I DESERVE dedicated servers.

Excuse my ignorance, but just out of curiosity, how many 360 games actually have dedicated server support? I know Bioshock 2 doesn't, but I don't keep up enough with the 360 to know about other titles.

Personally, I'm enjoying Modern Warfare 2, but I do agree. Would it really have killed them to included dedicated server support, at least for the PC edition? Confused
anakin_skyrunner
I installed it out of curiosity a few days ago (also to test my notebooks graphics). I must say it's really cool, however I haven't played it much since I installed it... Perhaps I can play it through when I have Easter Holidays xD